Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > IBM to give up the PC biz?

IBM to give up the PC biz?
MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 11:46 AM

I just found this article on El Mundo's web site. So, has anyone read the WSJ article? They will still be designing them, but the actual fabrication will be done by someone else.

I'm shocked that they listed Dell undercutting them as a reason for the sell-off! I thought IBM would be the last one to crumble before the current price war.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 11:56 AM

PC wise, IBM makes out on their Thinkpads but that's about it.

Agent69
Agent69

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 04:16 PM

IBM has been losing about a billion bucks a year I believe, even before Dell started the price war. For years, people have been screaming for them to get out. It's integral to their one stop solutions so they're not dumping pcs soon (darn). Just like they vowed never to give up OS/2; they're still selling it.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 06:27 PM

It's internal politics. In a corporation as large as IBM, it's almost impossible to make major changes. IBM could easily sell solutions with Dell desktops (the two have a business agreement) but dropping (or selling) the IBM PC division means a lot of executives have to find new jobs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules