Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Writing to NTFS Drives? Shadowofged site down

Writing to NTFS Drives? Shadowofged site down
quanfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 07:34 PM

It worked the first time I installed Macfuse/Ntfs-3g as instructed on shadowofged's site, but then suddenly I was unable to write on my NTFS drive.

I figured I'll just re-install it, but the website is down. Could anyone link me to a mirror or something? I can't seem to find a working link ANYWHERE.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2007, 12:30 AM

Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 12:49 AM

Also, check out the GUI to MacFUSE, MacFusion.
Linkinus is king.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2007, 11:46 PM

hmmm... just downloaded and installed MacFUSE from Google in order to use sshfs. Works great. I've also downloaded and installed ntfs-3g, but don't have any NTFS volumes handy with which to test it. I've noticed that there appears to be a bit of a rigmarole involved in handling NTFS drives this way with the Finder mounting them read-only automatically, requiring manual unmounting, and then remounting using ntfs-3g.

I thought I'd try to simplify this but have no way to test it (not having an NTFS volume anywhere). I've written the following PERL script which should automatically unmount all NTFS volumes and re-mount them all using ntfs-3g. If it works, I could use Platypus to wrap it up into a double-clickable cocoa application, but I want to find out if it works first.

For me to check I'm doing this correctly, could somebody with a FINDER-MOUNTED (ie, NOT ntfs-3g-mounted) NTFS volume, please email me the output of entering 'diskutil list' in the Terminal?

Thanks!

code:

#!/usr/bin/perl

open VOLS, "/usr/sbin/diskutil list|" or die "Failed to open volume list";

while ($vol = <VOLS>)
{
if ( $vol =~ /^\s+[0-9]+:/ )
{
$name = $vol;
$name =~ s/^\s+[0-9]+:\s+\S+ (.+)\s+\S+\s+\S+\s+\S+\s*$/$1/;
$vol =~ s/\s+/ /g;
($blank,$num,$type,@remainder) = split / /, $vol;
$id = pop @remainder;

if ( $type =~ /NTFS/ )
{
print "TYPE: $type. NAME: $name. ID: $id.\n";
system("/usr/sbin/diskutil", "unmount", $id);
mkdir "/Volumes/$name";
system("/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g", "/dev/$id", "/Volumes/$name", "-o", "ping_diskarb,volname=\"$name\"");
}
}
}

close VOLS;
( Last edited by Brass; Jun 7, 2007 at 11:55 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules