Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My iBook G4 - has it finally died?

My iBook G4 - has it finally died?
AnnieB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2010, 09:12 AM

I hope someone can help and that I've posted in the right place...

When I turned on my iBook G4 today I got a black screen with 'computer speak', beginning:
hfs_swap_BTNode: invalid node kind (127)
node=365 fileID=4 volume=Macintosh HD device=root_device
-sh: /etc/profile: Input/output error
hfs_swap_BTNode: invalid forward link (0x01FF0002)
node=347 fileID=4 volume=Macintosh HD device=root_device
-sh: /etc/profile: Input/output error
hfs_swap_BTNode: invalid forward link (0x01FF0002)

Does anyone know what this means and if there is anything I can do to restore it to working order? My computer is about six years old and has been getting more flaky as the years have gone by. Is this it?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 29, 2010, 12:43 PM

You're seeing a problem with the hard drive. Do you have a backup, in case you've lost it?

Boot from an OS CD and use Disk Utility. Select the internal drive icon, see what the SMART status is at the bottom of the window. Anything other than 'Verified' means you need a new hard drive.

If it shows as Verified, you may be able to repair it. You could let Disk Utility try if you're backed up, but Disk Utility doesn't do data recovery. If you aren't backed up, you might wish to use Disk Warrior, which will try hard to preserve your data.

Welcome to MacNN Forums.

Forum Links
Forum Rules