Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Stopping AppleShare mounts at startup

Stopping AppleShare mounts at startup
SillyMe
Feb 10, 2003, 01:54 AM

OK, I *should* know this. In fact, I *think* I know the answer, but rather than screw up my AppleShare IP server, I will ask the experts.

This computer has two uses, Appleshare IP and Retrospect. To backup the windows volumes, they have been mounting the windows volumes using the chooser (and services for mac on NT).

Over the past two years, various IT folks have been clicking the "Checked items will be opened at system startup time" option when CHOOSER-APPLESHARE-<SERVER>-<VOLUME> to mount another server volume.

The cumulative effect is that on restart, I get approximately 40 requests to open volumes for the NT volumes. It's way annoying to dismiss them all, and when the AppleShare IP begins to mount the LOCAL volumes, it bogs down.

If I dump the AppleShare prefs, will the requests to moun the NT volumes go away?

If I dump the AppleShare prefs, and leave the AppleShareIP prefs alone, will the AppleShareIP stuff installed on this box be unaffected?

Thanks!
SM

Forum Links
Forum Rules