Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No desktop after 10.2 upgrade

No desktop after 10.2 upgrade
mlangbau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 12:53 PM

I installed Jaguar upgrade from 10.1.5 on a top of the line 15 inch iMac with loads of memory. Unplugged all peripherals before I started.
Installation went without a hitch and computer restarted after both disks were finished loading. I saw the apple icon and the task bar showed startup was occurring.
However, at the end, I see the background pattern of the desktop and the only other things appearing are icons for the clock, sound, and modem in the upper right hand corner.No desktop icons, taskbar, or dock is visible. Scrolling over their intended locations does nothing.

The computer goes into screensaver mode after a time and when I press the mouse button, I see a split second of the taskbar along the top but then all I see is the background, as well as the sound, time, and modem icons in the top right corner of the screen.

Any suggestions,

Thanks

Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2002, 01:21 PM

Have you tried a Finder Relaunch?

And, in case you don'e already know:

It's the force-quit keyboard shortcut (Command-Control-esc or is it command-option-esc--I am not at my mac, and I can't keep them straight). Select Finder and click on relaunch.

That might do it.
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

mlangbau  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 06:35 PM

Had to reinstall without saving user data from prior system. Seems that user data got corrupted somehow in the process.

rytc
Senior User
Oct 29, 2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by mlangbau:
Had to reinstall without saving user data from prior system. Seems that user data got corrupted somehow in the process.
I now have a similar problem, the computer boots fine through the Big Apple picture than the MacOS X loading **** window and then when that disappears all I have is a blue screen that flickers and changes its shade every so often. The mouse pointer is there and is active but that is all.........

Forum Links
Forum Rules