Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Web Browser (again)

Web Browser (again)
Robe
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 08:29 AM

I had this question buried in the other web broswser thread - I will try again:

Could someone tell me how Netscape 7 and Mozilla 1.2 Differ? Is there much difference? Sorry if this is basic, but I have been an IE user and am now just branching out to other browsers!

Robe

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2002, 08:40 AM

Netscape is Mozilla with some proprietary stuff addedd. Netscape 7 is based on Mozilla 1.0 I think.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Vsx1
Nov 30, 2002, 11:06 AM

I've been using NS 7 for several days and I love it. It's still bulky but otherwise works well. NS 7 would be a great product if they'd fix the bugs instead of creating a new browser, how many iterations of Communicator 4.x are there? Dozens. Release 7.1 before 8.0...
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

jfinete
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 06:04 PM

Netscape is a commercial packaging of the open-source Mozilla. Some of the noteworthy differences include: Mozilla lets you block popup ads, Netscape doesn't; Netscape is bundled with third-party plugins, Mozilla isn't; and Netscape has an integrated AOL IM client, while Mozilla has an IRC client.

Netscape 7 is based on Mozilla 1.0 release candidate 2. Mozilla has been updated several times since then and Mozilla 1.3 is scheduled for the end of January, but there's no indication when (if?) Netscape will be updated.

Using a MacOS X skin Mozilla 1.2 is actually quite nice, but not as good as Chimera, which (by the way) is based on Mozilla 1.0.1.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 08:54 PM

I enjoy using Mozilla 1.3a with PinStripe 2.0 theme installed (link is one post up). It's more stable then Chimera and has many more options.

And I just don't like the name Netscape anymore. Gives me nightmares.

snerdini
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I enjoy using Mozilla 1.3a with PinStripe 2.0 theme installed (link is one post up). It's more stable then Chimera and has many more options.
At one point I would have agreed with you, but I'm running the latest nightly, and I would have to say that Chimera is now pretty dang stable.

I don't think anyone would argue with you that Moz is much more customizable, but Chimera wins the speed competition hands down.

I think the speed difference is much more apparent on slower machines. For example, on my 933 QS, there isn't that much of a difference in speed between the two, but on my bro's iMac 500, it's like night and day. He even described Chimera as 'hella faster'

I think he's glad I downloaded it for him.

zonetuke
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by jfinete:

Using a MacOS X skin Mozilla 1.2 is actually quite nice, but not as good as Chimera, which (by the way) is based on Mozilla 1.0.1.
Thanks for the Pinstrip tip. I love it!

matthew

Forum Links
Forum Rules