Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > definition of "integrated" wireless for 17" PB?

definition of "integrated" wireless for 17" PB?
tpiselli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 11:59 AM

Can someone tell me if the airport support on the new 17" means that the motherboard has the functionality or is there a card hidden in the case that can be removed?

Thanks,
Tony

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 12:16 PM

airport xtream card in build in and yes you can remove the card it only comes with the card installed for ya thats all

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 12:55 PM

Also it's nice that the antennas are built into the lid so there's no bulky PC Card sticking out or anything.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2003, 06:07 PM

The card will come out, but it's not user-accessable, like the 12" powerbook's is. You can get it out, but you'll have to crack open the 'book via a fairly complex and risky process which will void your warranty if they find out.

But, every 17" powerbook has an AirPort Extreme card inside. There is no option to buy one without a AE card.

tpiselli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2003, 07:52 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have an IT department that wants the card out because they fear someone will use the card to gain access to our network if the card is installed and I'm plugged into our LAN via ethernet. I guess my options are to have the card remeved via an Apple technician or try to convince the IT folks that the machine is secure with the card installed if I turn it off and diable as many other AirPort properties as possible.

Tony

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 09:22 PM

Just disable AirPort.

Karim
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 11:33 PM

Yeah, don't pull out the card that is silly. Just turn off Airport. You can do it in System Prefs:Network

Tell "them" that the airport card is built-in on the motherboard and can only be disabled not removed. A white lie but worth it to stop the insanity.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 12:15 AM

Personally, I don't understand why some companies are so paranoid about WiFi. A company needs to get a good recommendation to buy a decent AP which supports a good authentication/encryption mechanism such as LEAP or PEAP. The off the shelf $99 linksys ain't going to cut the mustard. With a good AP that is configured correctly, the odds of a network being compromised are far less than the odds of having someone break into a Windows box on that same LAN.

Even if the AE is enabled, you would need to a) have an SSID setup b) have DHCP set up so the user can get an IP c) have the laptop configured to do IP routing d) have NAT configured correctly so the person who connected to the AE could actually do something when assuming a-c had already beed done (none of which is configured out of the box).

Even if none of this has been done and the AE is enabled, AFAIK all system access like (personal/windows) file sharing, ssh, web services, ftp, etc are all disabled by DEFAULT -- much more secure than an out of the box window installation.

IT companies need to hire tech people with a clue who can articulate the fact that WiFi isn't as bad as people think it is.

/rant

hsvgoku
Apr 14, 2003, 12:21 AM

Guys reading about the intergrated Airport extreme card that can be removed, can you removed/diable the ariport card that is in the Ti15 and then get a separate airport extreme card and plug it into the card slot ?

Vond
Apr 14, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by hsvgoku:
Guys reading about the intergrated Airport extreme card that can be removed, can you removed/diable the ariport card that is in the Ti15 and then get a separate airport extreme card and plug it into the card slot ?
No, they are incompatible.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by JakBeatZ:
Personally, I don't understand why some companies are so paranoid about WiFi. A company needs to get a good recommendation to buy a decent AP which supports a good authentication/encryption mechanism such as LEAP or PEAP. The off the shelf $99 linksys ain't going to cut the mustard. With a good AP that is configured correctly, the odds of a network being compromised are far less than the odds of having someone break into a Windows box on that same LAN.

Even if the AE is enabled, you would need to a) have an SSID setup b) have DHCP set up so the user can get an IP c) have the laptop configured to do IP routing d) have NAT configured correctly so the person who connected to the AE could actually do something when assuming a-c had already beed done (none of which is configured out of the box).

Even if none of this has been done and the AE is enabled, AFAIK all system access like (personal/windows) file sharing, ssh, web services, ftp, etc are all disabled by DEFAULT -- much more secure than an out of the box window installation.

IT companies need to hire tech people with a clue who can articulate the fact that WiFi isn't as bad as people think it is.

/rant

Alright, no HBA (Holy Bible of Acronyms) for you for a month, young man.
I, ASIMO.

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 02:48 PM

Just tell them you had a BTO powerbook without an AE card They obviously dont know squat about Apples or network security. If they want to inspect it ask for the $3200 upfront.

Forum Links
Forum Rules