Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Novice Question: Slide Show on DVD

Novice Question: Slide Show on DVD
Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2003, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but I hope someone has the answer for me: I shot wedding photos a few years ago, and I'm planning to have the negatives scanned with my Nikon Coolscan 4000. What I would like to do is to put the images together in some sort of presentation, burn them to a DVD-R, and have the disk be readable in a PC or regular home DVD player.

My system: G4 466MHZ (Digital Audio)
Mac OS 10.2.6
Pioneer "Super Drive" (non-OEM)
1.5 Gig of RAM

I have iLife and Quick Time Pro installed, but I'm not sure if I need to use them in this project. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Eric

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2003, 11:18 PM

Drag pics into iDVD then click on My Slideshow to customize

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2003, 11:30 AM

You can use iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto or AppleWorks to create slideshows. I would recommend using either iMovie or iDVD.

The advantage of iMovie is that you can add and edit music, voiceovers, video, etc., you can tailor the length of each individual shot, you can use titles and transitions (the cross-fade works very nicely), and you can use the Ken Burns effect and other effects. In other words, it's a video that happens to be composed of still shots. You can then transfer it to DVD and create menus, etc. It's the most versatile tool.

The problem some people have with iMovie is that it reduces all images to 640x480 resolution. Some people want to preserve the high resolution of their images, depending on how they're going to view them.

iDVD slide shows are quicker and easier. You can add music but you can't edit the music or vary the length of each shot or apply transitions or effects. I haven't used iDVD's slide-show feature so I'm not sure if it reduces images to 640x480 or not. Also, my comments apply to iDVD2 - I'm not familiar with iDVD3.

Eric E.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 02:26 AM

willab & zigzag... 'Thanks a million.

Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules