Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Allowing mail relaying

Allowing mail relaying
torifile
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 12:14 AM

I've got postfix installed on my server and it's running beautifully. I've edited the hosts.allow file to allow me to check my mail from a remote connection. But I can't figure out how to get it to allow me to send email from a remote connection. I don't want to allow mail relaying from any IP because of spammers but I would like to be able to send mail from my email app. Now I've got to use pine to send mail when I'm not physically at the computer. Any suggestions? TIA

rkt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
<STRONG>I don't want to allow mail relaying from any IP because of spammers but I would like to be able to send mail from my email app. Any suggestions?</STRONG>
here are a few solutions, in no particular order:

a) compile postfix against cyrus-sasl. this allows you to do authorized-smtp. several email packages support this (including outlook & eudora) (see http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/postfix/smtp-auth.txt)

b) use ssh to create a tunnel from your machine to your server and connect to postfix via that. (see "man ssh")

c) add one of the pop-before-smtp patches to postfix. this only allows smtp access after a successful pop3 connection. (see http://www.postfix.org/addon.html)

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: rkt ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules