Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari and tabs

safari and tabs
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 05:10 AM

ok, what i want to do is find a way to set safari so that when i click on any link the default behavior would be to open a new tab NOT a new window. Any suggestions
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
ok, what i want to do is find a way to set safari so that when i click on any link the default behavior would be to open a new tab NOT a new window. Any suggestions
huh?

You want every link you click to open in a new tab?

How many links do you follow on a typical day?

I don't know about you but I'd go nuts trying to track the tabs after about 5 minutes.

In any case, when tabbed browsing is enabled (check your preferences), a Cmd-click opens the link in a new tab. You have to use the menu options to open a second window. Maybe that's what you mean...?
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 10:42 AM

Yes I "want every link you click to open in a new tab", any way to do this?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

atarirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 02:47 PM

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but I do have one of my own.

Does anyone know of a way to set multiple homepages to open simultaneously with the tabbed feature?

For example when I open my browser, a window would appear and load my homepage, macnn, and ipoding all at the same time using the tabs.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 05:51 PM

Well, if you hold the command (apple) key when you click a link, it will open it in a new tab. If you have a multi-button mouse, you can program one of the buttons to perform a command-click.

If you have a folder of bookmarks in your bookmarks bar, you can command click that to open the whole set of bookmarks in tabs.

atarirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 07:06 PM

O.K. That's pretty f***in cool!

I put all my favorite bookmarks in folder in the bookmark bar and now when I log on, I'm only one click away from reading them all.

I even have separate folders for websites that I want read daily, versus ones that I check once a week (i.e. movie reviews).

I'd still like a solution for the default window to open up to my favorite pages but for now one click is still pretty wicked.

Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by atarirat:
O.K. That's pretty f***in cool!

I put all my favorite bookmarks in folder in the bookmark bar and now when I log on, I'm only one click away from reading them all.

Question: How do I get my bookmarks folders and links to appear directly after I select "Bookmarks" rather than having to select Bookmarks/Bookmarks Bar? This extra is annoying and I have no idea how to remove it!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Question: How do I get my bookmarks folders and links to appear directly after I select "Bookmarks" rather than having to select Bookmarks/Bookmarks Bar? This extra is annoying and I have no idea how to remove it!
File it under Bookmarks List instead of Bookmarks Bar.
Vandelay Industries

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Are you trying to use the Bookmarks menu? It sounds like you don't have your Bookmarks Bar showing. Press Cmd-B (or go to View - Bookmarks Bar) and then you should be able to Cmd-Click the folders just below the navigational buttons and address field.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 07:42 PM

I guess I (and others) could submit feedback to Apple, because this feature would be very useful to me.

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Are you trying to use the Bookmarks menu? It sounds like you don't have your Bookmarks Bar showing.
Wow, I don't know how I missed these two obvious answers. Thanks for the tips. I think the bookmars bar is really cool. I probably deselected it when I first open Safari and then totally forgot about it. And then of course, dragging my links to Bookmarks Menu was also quite clear.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 08:09 PM

I don't know about *every* link I click, but I would like it if instead of a new window opening the link just opened in a new tab. For instance, when someone puts a link in a post here and you click on it, it opens a window. If it went into a tab instead, I think that would be a great feature.

There should be a preference like Open new tabs instead of new windows.

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 08:45 PM

Did any one mention command-clicking the link?

Craig

Moose
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by suthercd:
Did any one mention command-clicking the link?
Only the first and third replies.

And then yours (twelfth).

Thanks for helping out, sport.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 12:43 AM

hold on...

I think his point is: NORMAL links function as expected... you click a link, it loads in the current window... BUT, if you have it set to "Enable Tabbed Browsing"... any link that normally spawns a new WINDOW should instead spawn a new TAB.

I also would rather see this. Sometimes you don't know in advance that the link is coded to spawn a new window and you end-up with multiple browser windows instead of multiple tabs. "Gee... I thought I wanted TABBED browsing...?"

Make sense, or am I just as cryptic...?

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 01:13 AM

EXACTLY.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Sometimes you don't know in advance that the link is coded to spawn a new window and you end-up with multiple browser windows instead of multiple tabs.
FWIW, you can tell if you have the status bar activated. Anyway, I agree that this should be an option.

Vsx1
Sep 9, 2003, 06:19 PM

I'm a big user of Netscape (7.02), and the only thing holding me back from moving completely to Safari is the fact you can't drag links around.
For example, if at Apple's Hardware page and you'd like to open a new tab to view the Powermac page, all I have to do is drag the Powermac link (or image) to the tab bar and Netscape opens a new tab in the background without having to use a key (keyboard command).
Safari does a similar trick with pictures (moved the desktop) but not links. Using a standard 1 (or no) button mouse, using a the keyboard is annoying for multiple links (I usually have 3-5 tabs going at once). If Safari could drag links like Netscape I'd switch over.
I also tried to tell Apple but I can't find the appropriate feedback page. My 2 cents.
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 07:51 PM

Glad I found this thread. The tabs opening with cliked links is exactly what I would like it to do.

Safari is still a fairly new browser so hopefully they wil add it after an update or two.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
hold on...

I think his point is: NORMAL links function as expected... you click a link, it loads in the current window... BUT, if you have it set to "Enable Tabbed Browsing"... any link that normally spawns a new WINDOW should instead spawn a new TAB.

I also would rather see this. Sometimes you don't know in advance that the link is coded to spawn a new window and you end-up with multiple browser windows instead of multiple tabs. "Gee... I thought I wanted TABBED browsing...?"

Make sense, or am I just as cryptic...?
Ahh yes that is a good idea, I think Mozilla does that (as an option). However I get around it in Safari by making a middle (wheel) click in Safari equal to a Command-click and then link opens in a new tab. Works well when browsing forums that you know will open a new window for all external links. I just middle click them and problem solved.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 12:00 AM

A quick tip: if you'd rather have a link open in the same window, rather than in a new window as in most forums, simply drag the link to the address bar

Forum Links
Forum Rules