Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external DVD drive, DVD player, and panther

external DVD drive, DVD player, and panther
xboater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 02:07 AM

I have an external DVD burner that I've been using to watch DVDs, among other things, using the patch that was circulated around these forums earlier.

Since upgrading to panther, however, it won't work anymore (burner works fine; just can't watch DVDs). I found the patch version 4.0, which is supposed to work for 10.3, but it seems it only patches the feature that honors user actions, and is no longer a fix for the DVD player not recognizing the drive as a valid drive.

Does anyone know of any other work-arounds for this problem? I've tried a search, but it turned up nothing.

Thanks in advance,

James

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 03:59 AM

have you tried running the new DVD player without the patch? you might be surprised...

-r.

xboater  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 03:59 PM

yup, it doesn't work.

what's odd is that when i installed panther, it moved the DVD player into a folder named "Original DVD Player" within Applications. Before, it was just in the Applications folder under DVD player, right?

Anyway, is there a new version of DVD player that panther was supposed to install? I tried a search of apple's site, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your help.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 06:03 PM

that didn't happen with my install. it should install version 4.0 straight into your applications folder and the new version should be able to play DVDs on external drives.

-r.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 07:35 PM

I'm in exactly the same situation. I had an external FW DVD-R drive (Pioneer 105) and I was using the patch to make it work with DVD Player. I've tried installing the 4.0 patch, which claimed to have been successful, but to no avail. And I've got a folder that says "Original DVD Player", which is version 3.2, but no DVD Player app in the Applications folder.

WTF?

Where can I get this player? Can I install it specifically from the Panther disks? Can you download it?

Why didn't it install in the first place?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 04:49 PM

[bump]

No one else has this problem? Can anyone help?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 10:39 PM

Well, in case anyone else has this problem, I finally got an answer elsewhere.

Download Pacifist, which will let you pick out particular applications from a package installer. I used it on my Panther installer to pick out and install DVD Player 4 (which for some reason wasn't installed in the first place). This solved the problem as DVDP4 will recognize external DVD drives.

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2003, 10:50 PM

Does the patch also allow burning with the external drive?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 11:18 PM

the patch is for watching DVDs with an external drive, not for burning DVD-R discs.

-r.

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 06:21 PM

Here we go again. My external DVD player once again is not recognized. This may have happened after upgrading to 10.3.3, I'm not sure. I don't use it that often, or rather I tend to use it in bursts. Anyway, I'm getting the same damn -70012 error. I tried reinstalling DVDPlayer v4 with Pacifist (even though that's exactly what was already there and it used to work), but no dice.

This is REALLY frustrating. Damn it, this is a Mac! Firewire IDE drives should just work. What am I missing? What changed? Someone please lend a hand here.

Zoom
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 09:55 AM

[bump] No one else has this problem?

Forum Links
Forum Rules