Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new iBook g4, 12" video games

new iBook g4, 12" video games
kayam1977
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 03:59 PM

anyone try to play any games on they new ibook g4 12"? i mean it comes with tony hawks and if you play that on best performance, my screen craps out and doesn't handle 3D well. I also tried another game, which it couldn't handle the 3D engine either...

zoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 05:46 PM

Up to now i've only tried Tony Hawk on my iBook G4 800 and i think the 3d performce is a little bit disapointing too.
Perhaps the G4 ist not up to date enough for such a new game. The graphics chip should be fast enough!? But changing the resolution helps.
Zoid

DaBeav
Nov 12, 2003, 05:51 PM

BareFeats has run some preliminary benchmarks. Perhaps more RAM would help? Either that or the drivers for the Mobility Radeon 9200 aren't very good. The 9200 (being a new chipset) should peform as well, if not slightly better than the 9000. The iBook should at very least run close behind the TiBook at the same clock speed. It lacks the TiBook's L3 cache, but has faster DDR RAM.

He does admit that the iBooks had less RAM. Since OS X likes lots of memory, hopefully results will be a bit more encouraging once comparable systems can be tested.

If THPS4 doesn't run well at the iBook's native resolution in the standard config, one wonders why Apple would replace Otto Matic (which ran great on the iBook G4 I played around with at the Apple Store) with THPS4.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 06:03 PM

I agree that THPS4 runs horribly, but when I tried the Return to Castle Wolfenstine and Ghost Recon demos they worked flawlessly. UT2003 demo even ran better than Tony Hawk

kayam1977  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 06:51 PM

yheah, i only have 256 in here so far, i know that is a factor to it. =/

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 04:29 AM

Games can be great fun with reduced detail and resolution. On a lower system, that may be necessary. And don't overlook great games that are slightly older--and cheap!--which probably WILL run well at highest detail.

Tip: Output to TV at 640x480--which about TV resolution anyway--and games look great even at low detail. The blurriness of a TV tends to hide the defects.

Plus you get a big picture!
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules