Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My New 20"

My New 20"
Spiritman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 11:18 PM

Loving my new 20" iMac....sold my 17 to someone I met in the Apple store.....what I like is the design and they are very, very quiet.....now I have a large display and will wait for the Rev B of the G5 before I move that direction.....I do lots of digital photo work in photoshop....took 5000 shots last year and consider myself a power user....plenty here for me and its working great on 256mg ram....waitin for the 1 gig user slot module.

)
Spiritman

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 02:43 AM

Pictures?
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

IrisB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Spiritman:
Loving my new 20" iMac....sold my 17 to someone I met in the Apple store.....what I like is the design and they are very, very quiet.....now I have a large display and will wait for the Rev B of the G5 before I move that direction.....I do lots of digital photo work in photoshop....took 5000 shots last year and consider myself a power user....plenty here for me and its working great on 256mg ram....waitin for the 1 gig user slot module.

)
Do you STILL luv this machine? No problem with dead pixels?

Have you tried one of the TV software programs that would let you run the news or sports while working on your computer?

Iris

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2004, 11:01 AM

Congrats! It certainly is a great machine. I'll get one to replace my g/f's 17" iMac within the next year...

Any pics?

macman04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Congrats! It certainly is a great machine. I'll get one to replace my g/f's 17" iMac within the next year...

Any pics?
Simon, how does your GF like the 17" iMac? I'm getting ready to purchase one for my wife.

MM04

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by macman04:
Simon, how does your GF like the 17" iMac? I'm getting ready to purchase one for my wife.
It's great. I bought it after I got fed up with the noise of my MDD dual 867MHz G4 PowerMac. Now my g/f is using it mainly. The iMac is a very fast machine and it does everything we need. It is very, very quiet. And with that I mean about as quiet as I think you can manufacture a computer.

It runs Panther perfectly fine, the screen is nice and it is really big. As far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect home computer. Also the quality of the little Pro Speakers is amazingly good for their size and for the fact that they're a free add-on.

The only gripe I have is that on our iMac (I don't know if this is true for all 17" iMacs or if this is just on ours) the bottom half and the top half of the screen don't seem to have exactly the same brightness. And the vertical angle is critical: You need to adjust the screen properly depending on the your height or else the image won't be right. But since the screen is mounted with this great arm, it's no hassle to adjust it.

I would recommend the iMac to anybody. It's a great machine. Of course the 20" is the �ber-killer, but if you can't afford it the 17" will be just fine.

Get your wife one, I'm sure she'll like it.

spookykids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 04:25 PM

you lucky bastard!! i wish i had that kind of money...

i have a 800mhz 15" imac and although i love the machine like nothing else, i do find it a bit slow. i want to get the 1,25ghz 17" imac, but im sorta low on the benjamins...

hell, if any people that live in norway wanna sell their 1,25ghz 17 imac, plz tell me! wow, i expect the macnn forums to flood my mail box now!!!

bah!
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
--Emiliano Zapata

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2004, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by spookykids:
i have a 800mhz 15" imac and although i love the machine like nothing else, i do find it a bit slow. i want to get the 1,25ghz 17" imac, but im sorta low on the benjamins...
Good choice! When we bought the iMac I was a bit hesitant because I always thought the 15" 800MHz iMac was a dog. We went to the shop, started playing with the 1GHz 17" and immediately noticed that its fater CPU and faster bus did a lot towards performance. The 17" has the same style & usability benefit as your 15", but it will definitely be much faster.

hell, if any people that live in norway wanna sell their 1,25ghz 17 imac, plz tell me! wow, i expect the macnn forums to flood my mail box now!!!
I'll actually be in Norway this summer, but you can be sure as hell I won't bring my iMac with me. My g/f won't let go of it. Sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules