Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do you defrag your HD in os 10.3.3?

How do you defrag your HD in os 10.3.3?
fivminwalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 12:18 AM

I am looking for advice about defraging my hard drive in 10.3.3. I can not seem to find a utility on my mac to do this. Do I have to install another program, or am I not looking on my hard drive hard enough? Thanks in advance!

Also I heard that os X defrags �on the fly� is the true?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 03:18 AM

Short answer: Yes, Panther does some defragging "on the fly." For a thorough defrag or optimization, though, you'll need a third-party application such as Micromat's TechTool Pro 4 or Norton Speed Disk (part of the Norton Utilities package). Alsoft has a defragger called PlusOptimizer, but you have to boot into OS 9 to use it.

Long answer:
Mac OS X: About Disk Optimization

If you want more information, go to MacNN's Mac OS X forum and search for "defrag."

Here's one recent thread:
best Panther defragger?

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 05:28 AM

Norton is getting a lot of thumbs down at the moment. Seems to kill more drives than it fixes.....

Use at your own peril.

spookykids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 08:38 AM

there is really no need to defrag your harddrive on a mac, unless you do some heavy video editing....
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
--Emiliano Zapata

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 03:41 PM

Great thanks guys! I was using a lot of disk space downloading red hat 9 disk images (there huge at almost 604mb each!) then transferring them to my roommates pc in order to make cds for my laptop... long story, I know... just making sure I can keep my new apple running at full speed! should I defrag after doing something like that? Thanks again!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
Norton is getting a lot of thumbs down at the moment. Seems to kill more drives than it fixes.....

Use at your own peril.
Disk Doctor has a really bad reputation around here. Speed Disk hasn't had that many complaints...yet!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by fivminwalk:
Great thanks guys! I was using a lot of disk space downloading red hat 9 disk images (there huge at almost 604mb each!) then transferring them to my roommates pc in order to make cds for my laptop... long story, I know... just making sure I can keep my new apple running at full speed! should I defrag after doing something like that? Thanks again!
Do you feel that your computer has slowed down after downloading those Linux disk images? Unless disk access feels slow, I wouldn't worry about it.

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Do you feel that your computer has slowed down after downloading those Linux disk images? Unless disk access feels slow, I wouldn't worry about it.
Nah... my mac is just as speedy as ever. Thanks for the advice you guys. Oh and why does Norton have a bad rap?

djaastad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 12:40 AM

Additionally, whenever you run software update at the end of the update and you've installed whatever, the os runs a system optimization that essentially acts as a defrag program. Or at least is supposed to.

dj

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 07:21 AM

Nah... my mac is just as speedy as ever. Thanks for the advice you guys. Oh and why does Norton have a bad rap?
A lot of people have made their disk troubles worse by running Disk Doctor. It gets into a loop of problems or something. Ask Cipher, he always bashes it when he has the chance.
As for Speed Disk, I haven't heard anything bad about it on here. I've used it myself many times with no problems. Just leave your disk repair to Disk Utility or DiskWarrior.

fivminwalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
A lot of people have made their disk troubles worse by running Disk Doctor. It gets into a loop of problems or something. Ask Cipher, he always bashes it when he has the chance.
As for Speed Disk, I haven't heard anything bad about it on here. I've used it myself many times with no problems. Just leave your disk repair to Disk Utility or DiskWarrior.
Thanks again. I will be sure to take a look at that stuff...

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 08:55 PM

Thanks again. I will be sure to take a look at that stuff...
No problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules