Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help with Powerbook and purchase of new display

Help with Powerbook and purchase of new display
Kdog01
Jan 9, 2005, 01:10 AM

I just bought a 15in 1.5ghz powerbook and am thinking of getting the 20in display since is has now come down in price. I have 2 questions:

1. Can you use the monitor and a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard with the powerbook closed? Or does the screen on the powerbook have to be used as well?

2. Do you sacrifice any picture quality or resolution by connecting the 20in display to a powerbook vs a G5 Tower? Or as long as you use a DVI connection, is it all the same?

Thanks for your help

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Kdog01:
I just bought a 15in 1.5ghz powerbook and am thinking of getting the 20in display since is has now come down in price. I have 2 questions:

1. Can you use the monitor and a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard with the powerbook closed? Or does the screen on the powerbook have to be used as well?

2. Do you sacrifice any picture quality or resolution by connecting the 20in display to a powerbook vs a G5 Tower? Or as long as you use a DVI connection, is it all the same?

Thanks for your help
1. - Yep, I used my bluetooth keyboard with the lid closed all the time.

2. - not really sure what you are asking here... losing quality compared to.... what? The image is still generated from your videocard, the same one that runs your internal screen. Plus the 20" has a 1680x1050 resolution, so you would gain over your PB display (if that was what you were talking about).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 11:00 AM

I think what he's asking is "does the G5 have a better video card". The answer to that question is "yes". While, you shouldn't notice a difference in picture quality, you will notice a difference in performance quality if you're playing games, but this will really have nothing to do with the display.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 12:05 PM

Right. Don't buy a Powerbook for a graphics card! If you want gaming performance, your best bet would always be a G5. You would not only get better perfomance from the start, but you can upgrade the card later, if you wish.

Kdog01  (op)
Jan 12, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Right. Don't buy a Powerbook for a graphics card! If you want gaming performance, your best bet would always be a G5. You would not only get better perfomance from the start, but you can upgrade the card later, if you wish.
I guess what I am saying is, "Can the powerbook run the optimal resolution of the 20in display, whatever it is, i think it is 1600X1200, without sacrificing picture quality? I understand that 3d acceleration on the powerbook will not be as good as a tower with a good graphics card, but I am not a gamer.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 02:42 PM

The native resolution on my ACD is 1680 by 1050, and my revA PB17 runs it just fine in dual monitor mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules