Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is it worth it to upgrade to 1gb of ram from 512K?

Is it worth it to upgrade to 1gb of ram from 512K?
Kdog01
Jan 26, 2005, 12:40 PM

I am considering upgrading my ram on my 15in 1.5Ghz powerbook. Is it worth the $200? Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks for your input.

Kdog01  (op)
Jan 26, 2005, 12:41 PM

I actually meant from 512mb to 1gb. Dump mistake.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 02:10 PM

depends, what are you running?

launch activity monitor, and I'd suggest putting the RAM usage as the dock icon and you'll be able to see if you could use more RAM.

but if you can easily afford it, I see no reason why it wouldn't be beneficial. to me personally it might be, as I LOVE RAM and use it all... but not everyone has the same usage pattern and not everyone can take advantage of the extra RAM.

wedgewood
Jan 26, 2005, 02:12 PM

For what do you use your powerbook? If you use it for web surfing, word precessing and iApplications then 512MB memory is enough for the usage. But if you do use for movie editing like final cut pro then more memory is necessary.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

Kdog01  (op)
Jan 26, 2005, 04:58 PM

Mainly my powerbook is used for websurfing, email, garageband and gaming. Obviously, RAM won't make a huge difference for the first 2. But would doubling my memory help my gaming performance?

I appreciate your help.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Kdog01:
I actually meant from 512mb to 1gb. Dump mistake.
Some people would say I'm nitpicking here, but I think you probably meant 512MB to 1GB. There's a factor of 8 difference between 1kb and 1KB. Lowercase is bits, while upper case is bytes.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ibook_steve
Jan 26, 2005, 09:07 PM

Here's a general guideline for RAM, especially for systems running OS X, but this applies to any machine:

More RAM is *always* better!

So many people ask if getting more RAM will help. Well, it certainly won't hurt. If you can afford it, max out your RAM, no if's, and's, or but's. The only slight disadvantage in a laptop is the extra power drawn by the extra RAM. This is minor compared to the performance advantages. Just because you're not running anything taxing now doesn't mean that the OS or some other application wouldn't love to gobble up some more memory to increase performance. Max it out!

Steve

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Some people would say I'm nitpicking here, but I think you probably meant 512MB to 1GB. There's a factor of 8 difference between 1kb and 1KB. Lowercase is bits, while upper case is bytes.
well, wouldn't "mb" be milibit also? lowercase m is mili IIRC.

travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 10:40 PM

more ram is always better. if i have the choice to upgrade something in my pc that isn't the CPU or mobo (faster bus) or harddrive (faster drive) i'd go with ram because it will make the most difference. use top to monitor your resources and maybe take a peek at how much is being written to swap. if you find a lot of stuff is being written into swap, then get more ram.
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

Forum Links
Forum Rules