Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I'm about to be a Mac convert--advice?

I'm about to be a Mac convert--advice?
Jeepguy01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 01:19 AM

Hey guys, my ancient HP laptop has unofficially bit the dust, so I'm now in the market for a new computer. But I'm seriously considering switching to an iMac G5 after falling in love with the G4s in my job's office. How many of you own Macs? Any gripes/advice about my very near-future purchase? What is the life expectancy of the monitor? I'm probably going to go with the 1.8 GHz 17"-monitor version (I can get a decent student discount at the store out here). I plan to be using MS Office (which I can get really cheap through school), Adobe InDesign and Photoshop on the computer more than anything.

Also, I plan to upgrade my RAM from the standard 512 to 1G or 2G--it seems pretty pricey if I go through Apple, so where else can I find a reliable piece of hardware?

Thanks a bunch!
( Last edited by Jeepguy01; May 18, 2005 at 12:30 PM. )

pugdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 02:51 AM

You will not be upset with your purchase. You've already fallen in love with the platform - it sounds like - you will soon be falling in love with that screen and the speed of the G5 and video card.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2005, 06:06 AM

Everyone I know who has ever come into contact with an iMac G5 has fallen in love and ended up buying one - seriously. I myself am using one right now at work, a RevA 1.6ghz. I will be buying my own next month, the middle spec, 2.0ghz 17".

The iMac I am using now is the only mac in the office. Everyone else uses Wintel PCs, but take every opportunity to come and paw over the sleek, minimalist display of gorgeous 21st century technology that is my iMac. It is a minimum spec machine, only 64mb graphics card and 512mb RAM, and yet I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Safari (Browser) and a few other applications simultaneously with no performance hit. I even play UT2004 in my lunchbreak at full screen top resolution and top settings and it runs smooth as anything. It has never crashed either. Never hung once in about 4 months that we'ver had it.

Do not worry bout build quality either. Apple make the very highest quality products. Apple LCDs are just about the best you can get - crisp, clear, vivid, true, reliable and durable, and you shouldn't have to worry about getting your mac repaired. I have 2 macs, a 6 year-old G3 iMac and an 18 month-old G4 iBook. The iBook has never crashed, and never needed repair. The iMac needed repairing once because it was struck by lightning! The lightning blew me clean across the room, about 15 feet. The iMac made a loud bang, but only the modem needed replacing!!!!

Remember, Macs rule the graphics industry, the publishing industry, the music industry and are fast taking over the movie industry. If these industries are important to you or your career, you NEED a mac. The new iMac is a design classic, I would say the only Personal computer that is designed for the 21st century and looks the part.

There is no better time to buy an iMac G5 either, as they have literally just upgraded the whole range. They now have 1.8 or 2.0ghz processors (equivalent to (very roughly) double that in PC terms, i.e 3.6 and 4.0ghz), they have 512 RAM standard, 128mb graphics cards (a lot for a mac - the OS optimizes the power available) they have dual layer DVD-RWs, built-in BLuetooth and WiFi, and ship with Tiger, the world's most advance OS, about 5 years more advanced than XP in many ways.

You are right about the price of RAM. I would recommend having 1gb put in (in 1 stick) as a build option - this is easily enough to start with, and will leave you with a slot free, and then at a later date buying a third party 1gb stick to throw in it.

I promise you, you will NEVER go back. You don't hear about people switching the other way do you? Welcome to the 21st century.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 09:09 AM

Jeepguy01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the valuable advice, guys. I'm going by my apple store tonight and I'll let you know how it goes!

Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepguy01
Thanks for the valuable advice, guys. I'm going by my apple store tonight and I'll let you know how it goes!
Get your added memory from Crucial as in the previous post, difficult to beat on quality/value/service

Jeepguy01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hamgard
Get your added memory from Crucial as in the previous post, difficult to beat on quality/value/service
Most people are recommending crucial, so that's what I'll go with. I figure I'll just get the regular 512 that comes with the iMac and a 1 gig piece to fill the other slot, eh? Thanks for the help!

lpetschauer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 11:46 PM

Check out dealram.com for RAM price comparison. You can usually find something cheaper than Crucial with as good of warranty.

wwwjam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 11:51 AM

How many of you own Macs?
This gave me a good laugh lol

I also recently converted. I had a windows XP machine that I hand built and just pulled the plug and got a Mini. Best move I ever made. I also had a xp laptop. I am going for a powerbook this summer.

Sure wish they had G5 powerbooks

Jeepguy01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by wwwjam
This gave me a good laugh lol

I also recently converted. I had a windows XP machine that I hand built and just pulled the plug and got a Mini. Best move I ever made. I also had a xp laptop. I am going for a powerbook this summer.

Sure wish they had G5 powerbooks
LOL! Yeah, sorry about that--I posted it on a "general" discussion board and did a copy and paste job.

Jeepguy01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:42 PM

Yeah, so I was supposed to get my computer via overnight shipping on Friday--so much for that. Although FedEx hasn't admitted it, the package was stolen when it got to their facility here (they say they no longer have it in their posession). They refused to return my calls and only let me know yesterday. So I called Apple and they said they would give me a call "within 72 hours" to settle the claim.

I really needed the computer this weekend--I've already received the RAM (from Crucial) and the program software for Mac, which shipped regular ground via UPS and DHL, respectively. If they don't refund me the initial $38 shipping charge and give me free overnight shipping on the new comp, I'm just going to ask for my money back and stick to PC for half the price--I don't need all this hassle (the Apple store here carries NO iMacs in stock).

Apple's customer service has been okay, but 72 hours to call me back? To be honest, I'm not expecting a phone call at all--I'll have to do all of the leg work myself, like I've done throughout this whole process (nobody has ever called me back). FedEx's customer service has been absolutely abysmal. I would wish Apple would offer the USPS for overnight shipping--I've been screwed over by UPS in the past, too.

Anyway, figured I'd give you guys a disheartening update...

wwwjam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 01:03 PM

Well that sucks. I hope you get everything settled.

At least Apple will talk to you. Try getting non-textbook help from the apes at M$soft.

Call them up for a problem with a shipment and the "tech" will say: "hmm, that is a tough one" (you hear tapping on the keyboard and frustration as search breaks). "Thank you for waiting. Let's try this. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL".

Let us know when you get your Mac and are happy. Good Luck

zenatek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 11:07 PM

You will forget all this BS trouble when your iMac finally makes it! I assure you I also switched this year...which was huge because I went from 3 PC's to 2 Macs and it was worth it!

bstone
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 06:09 AM

Yeah, so I was supposed to get my computer via overnight shipping on Friday--so much for that. Although FedEx hasn't admitted it, the package was stolen when it got to their facility here (they say they no longer have it in their posession). They refused to return my calls and only let me know yesterday. So I called Apple and they said they would give me a call "within 72 hours" to settle the claim.

So sorry to hear. That really sucks. I had an experience once where Airborne stole a Powerbook G4 out of the box it was in. One station it weighed 9lbs and 3 at the next. Apple was really cool about it and replaced it ASAP. Don't worry, they'll come through for you!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 10:31 AM

Here is my advice, from a guy that switched to Mac, switched back to PC, switched again, then switched back.

The Mac is a great machine. It is not necessaily up-to-date on the hardware specs, and you will pay a premium. You are paying for the OS development and industrial design more than anything, so if you are the type that gets off on a cool looking piece of hardware sitting on your desk then Mac is your thing.

Or if you just want a fairly "trouble free" computer (though macs are certainly not trouble free) then Mac is the golden egg. Many people out there are using PCs that should be using Macs. My father in law is literally frightened of his PC and I'm sure would appreciate the simplicity of the OSX desktop, dock, and control panel.... and he is not the type to install the latest microsoft security updates, so spyware infests itself liberally.

If you are not a gamer.. and by gamer I mean someone not likely at all to ever have any interest in the latest strategy games, half-life, etc etc... don't do it.

If you are someone that loves getting the very best deal and reqrets paying a large premium on something... don't do it.

If you are someone that wants unlimited access to a very large assortment of music for $60 a year and the ability to transfer any of that music you want to a portable device... don't do it.

If you like upgrading your computer on a fairly regular basis... don't do it.

If you anti-aliased fonts dive you a headache... don't do it.

If you like walking into CompUSA knowing that all the aisles apply to you... don't do it.

But if you want a machine you can bring home, open the box, have up and running in no time with a few key applications... the mac is a good bet. Simplicity, modern appearance, clean...

Jeepguy01  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 12:17 PM

Ok, an update!

Apple never called me, but they sent an e-mail yesterday morning that they were going to replace it. The computer shipped yesterday and right now FedEx says it's on a truck for delivery right now. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll post a pic of my new setup in the appropriate thread. At least I have my RAM and software to pop in when it gets here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules