Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac monitor acting strange!!

iMac monitor acting strange!!
Monkeymike
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 10:15 AM

Hi there,
My iMac DV 400MHZ monitor is acting up. Its fine 99% of the time but if I have to reboot or if I restart into OSX somtimes the monitor comes on ALL BLUE or it will have double images that are warped.
I noticed that this started after putting in more ram and after I installed OSX. Anybody else have this problem??
Does anybody know what might be causeing it? Is my monitor about to die? I've only had the computer for just over a year.
Please help!!
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

Naplander
Senior User
Aug 9, 2001, 04:43 AM

Hi there,

My girlfriend has been having the same problem with her iMac DV. I posted this in the topic below called "iMac screen problems" or something.

To answer your question: No, I don't know what it is - and it also seems to have occured after we installed OSX.

My advice to you is to keep this (or the other) thread active in the hope of finding someone who has more information on this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. At least you are not the only one eh?

Naplander
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

aaroncsmith
Aug 9, 2001, 05:33 AM

I have the same problem on a 400 mHz iMac DV.

It started more or less the day I switched to OS X.

Sometimes is comes up black, sometimes it is tinted light blue or green and warped at the edges, sometimes it is very dark. A reboot or two fixe sthe problem.

Monkeymike  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2001, 10:36 AM

WOW! So I'm not alone. Anybody else have this problem?? We need to get together and see what we can do about it. Maybe its a bug that will be fixed with the 10.1 update.
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

Zkatz007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2001, 11:01 AM

This happened with my iMac Rev C, but it had nothing to do with OS X. I just rebuilt the desktop, and it went away (Also after zapping the PRAM). Try that perhaps?

-Zack
/* ------S I G N A T U R E------- */

Katz Web Design - a Denver web design firm

<skl81>
Aug 9, 2001, 11:28 AM

FINALLY!

I couldn't find anyone else that had this problem and now I know I'm not crazy. I've had this problem for over a year now (it happened within the first month of purchase). I have the same computer (iMac DV 400). Most people just thought I was crazy when I'd tell them because it didn't happen all the time. Since I've installed OS X it's been relatively fine. It's weird. When my computer was in my dorm room at college it always happened. Now at home, I have my computer near a window and the window is always open. It seems that having the cool air come into the room fixes the problem. Maybe it's a cooling thing. I really don't know. But that has seemed to temporarily work for me.

Spencer Whitney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2001, 04:46 AM

I don't really know what has been causing the problems on my Rev D, but I installed OSX and also moved the computer to an enclosure on the same day, so I dont know!
I think it may have something to do with both, but I mostly use os 9.1, so it's probably the heat.
Read the thread "iMac 333 monitor weirdness" if you can help me!

markbbb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2001, 09:43 AM

Sounds to me like your analog board is going bad, mine did and it needed replaced. Hope its still under warranty. Big $$$, brother!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2001, 07:54 AM

If you think heat is an issue, move the iMac to a cooler place, or cool it with an air conditioning vent. See if the problem gets better.

If you think it's an OS X issue, reboot to os 9 and see if it gets better.

If you think it's a bad memory issue (this does happen) change your ram back. If the problem goes away, get your RAM reseller to replace your RAM.

Don't do all these things at once. Do them one at a time so that you can eliminate the cause.

If you can't pin it down to any of these, there are three boards related to video in the iMac. There's the board on the back of the cathode ray tube, the power supply board, and the analog video board. All are expensive.

Also try and use an external monitor. This shows if it's related to your memory or OS X, as well. It also pins the problem down to one of those three boards.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

bluetooth
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by markbbb:
<STRONG>Sounds to me like your analog board is going bad, mine did and it needed replaced. Hope its still under warranty. Big $$$, brother! </STRONG>
happened to me with my iMac 600, a month after i got it. twas really annoying but luckily it was under warranty. And now it all works pwerfect
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by bluetooth:
<STRONG>

happened to me with my iMac 600, a month after i got it. twas really annoying but luckily it was under warranty. And now it all works pwerfect </STRONG>
Bluetooth, the poor guy has an iMac 333mhz. If he's posting here for help, it's sort of unlikely that his is still covered under warranty. I'm glad yours got fixed so quickly. For the rest of us, who don't have warranty coverage, and don't have machines with 600mhz, got any real answers?

Then, through telekenesis, I am having you take your seat. (I like your signature)

Victor
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

markbbb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 08:24 PM

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the analog board needs replaced as previously stated. Put your money down!

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: markbbb ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules