Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Briton Finds Venomous Centipede in House

Briton Finds Venomous Centipede in House
Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

"LONDON - Aaron Balick expected to find a tiny mouse rustling behind the TV in his apartment. Instead, he found a venomous giant centipede that somehow hitched a ride from South America to Britain."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/...eepy_centipede

I swear I would move incase it had babies.

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 2, 2005, 06:56 PM

That thing is creepy looking! ewe...

I wonder what it tastes like?

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 07:12 PM

tastes like painful death.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 08:15 PM

BBQ'ed must be excellent!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Pujols
tastes like painful death.
That was freakin' funny

When I was in high school, I worked in a supermarket. I had heard on the news that the chain had gotten a shipment of Chilean grapes that were being recalled because there were black widow spiders in the shipment. Now, I'm truly and honestly not scared of much, up to and including dying, but spiders are the one thing that I do not deal well with at all. So I call the store and ask my boss if they are closing the store to fumigate, or if everyone is already dead and I don’t need to go to work any more, or what the deal is. She tells me not to worry about it, none of the grapes from that shipment came to our store and all is well. I'm suspicious, but I go to work anyway.

So, I'm by the entrance to the store, building a soda display, and this guy walks behind me, and says "Who do I talk to about this?". I turn around, and he shoves a plastic produce bag in my face about half full of grapes, and crawling with spiders (I say crawling with, but in hindsight I realize that there was probably only two or three in there). I went right over the top of my display and out the back door screaming like a little girl the whole way. That was the end of that job. I didn't go back there for years, just on the off chance some got away, fornicated up a bunch of baby man eating spiders, and were just lying in wait for my unsuspecting return.

Oh, and when I said I'm really not afraid of anything but spiders, I’d have to say that thing he's holding would be grouped in the spider category. I'd of definitely shot that nasty-ass monster of a bug instead of picking it up with tongs. *shudders*
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Sep 2, 2005 at 09:08 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
That was freakin' funny

When I was in high school, I worked in a supermarket. I had heard on the news that the chain had gotten a shipment of Chilean grapes that were being recalled because there were black widow spiders in the shipment. Now, I'm truly and honestly not scared of much, up to and including dying, but spiders are the one thing that I don not deal well with at all. So I call the store and ask my boss if they are closing the store to fumigate, or if everyone is already dead and I don’t need to go to work any more, or what the deal is. She tells me not to worry about it, none of the grapes from that shipment came to our store and all is well. I'm suspicious, but I go to work anyway.

So, I'm by the entrance to the store, building a soda display, and this guy walks behind me, and says "Who do I talk to about this?". I turn around, and he shoves a platic produce bag in my face about half full of grapes, and crawling with spider (I say crawling with, but in hindsight I realize that there was probably only two or three in there). I went right over the top of my display and out the back door screaming like a little girl the whole way. That was the end of that job. I didn't go back there for years, just on the off chance some got away, fornicated up a bunch of baby man eating spiders, and were just lying in wait for my unsuspecting return.

Oh, and when I said I'm really not afraid of anything but spiders, I’d have to say that thing he's holding would be grouped in the spider category. I'd of definitely shot that nasty-ass monster of a bug instead of picking it up with tongs. *shudders*

I'm laughing and shivering at the same time. Spiders happen to be my phobia as well.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 09:10 PM

In SouthAmerica, we have them as pets.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 11:01 PM

Spiders taste like sh!t... nothing much there when you pull their legs off... When their pregnant, the eggs are like cavear.

I'm just kidding, that was just for Thinkinsane... I'd jump on my chair and scream like a little girl at the site of that thing. I think I just creeped myself out.

Godfather: You have Black Widows as pets? or Spiders?

Scandalous Ion Cannon  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 12:33 AM

I don't at all have a problem with spiders but centipedes like this horrify me as they have rather thick shells. GROOOOOSSS!
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

max5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 12:39 AM

wow lol.... imagine having that in ur car while ur drivingg... I would like flipppp out

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Spiders taste like sh!t... nothing much there when you pull their legs off... When their pregnant, the eggs are like cavear.

I'm just kidding, that was just for Thinkinsane... I'd jump on my chair and scream like a little girl at the site of that thing. I think I just creeped myself out.

Godfather: You have Black Widows as pets? or Spiders?
Centipedes.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 01:16 AM

yeah, thats pretty creepy. try not to imagine one between your headboard and the wall when you go to sleep tonight, guys!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 01:39 AM

So, I'm by the entrance to the store, building a soda display, and this guy walks behind me, and says "Who do I talk to about this?". I turn around, and he shoves a plastic produce bag in my face about half full of grapes, and crawling with spiders (I say crawling with, but in hindsight I realize that there was probably only two or three in there). I went right over the top of my display and out the back door screaming like a little girl the whole way. That was the end of that job. I didn't go back there for years, just on the off chance some got away, fornicated up a bunch of baby man eating spiders, and were just lying in wait for my unsuspecting return.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2005, 03:42 PM

nah... imagine one in your bed...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 3, 2005, 03:56 PM

I got one in my pants...

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2005, 05:31 PM

I've definitely been watching too much SG-1. When I saw that picture, the first thing I thought of was a Goa'uld

tgags
Sep 3, 2005, 09:15 PM

oh man.
If I emailed that article and pic to my sister, she would have trouble sleeping (worried that it would happen to her - in a bag of groceries from like ShopRite or something)

I'm tempted.. he he
na, that's mean.
But seriously, that's how creeped out she would be...lol!

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 09:50 PM

Ah. Another good reason for living this far north. Bugs die long before they become that big. Well, I suppose unless they find somewhere warm to make their nest in. Like a bed or something...

I think I'll go sleep in the freezer tonight.
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
I got one in my pants...

OH REALLY!

budster101
Baninated
Sep 4, 2005, 01:38 AM

Oh wait, that's a python...

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 01:45 AM

I hope he puts that in a bottle of formaldehyde.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Sep 4, 2005 at 01:55 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 4, 2005, 01:49 AM

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 4, 2005, 04:37 AM

I just thought of this..what if the centipede had caught that guy behind his TV.. sizes would be reversed of course, that would also mean that the centipedes were running yahoo, and subsequently.. the world.

HamSandwich
Sep 4, 2005, 04:47 AM

Apparently, that creepy-crawler was somebody's escaped pet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4207726.stm

Personally, I hate anything with more than four legs...

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 07:31 AM

I just saw this small centipede run across my carpet... I was just going to let it go (im a pacifist), but then I remembered this thread so I grabbed my my ping pong paddle and I owned that mofo.

Feels good.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 4, 2005, 01:35 PM

Way to exercise your human advantage there Albert.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 03:35 PM

I remember my dad telling me a story about when he was a kid. He found a plank of wood behind his home and it had a "silk" back on it. He tore it open a few hundred tiny spiders spilled out of it.

"I ran pretty f*ckin' fast for a fat kid." - My dad.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 03:40 PM

There's a daddy-longleg in the corner of my window next to my computer. I've been watchin' him get bigger and bigger of the past few weeks.

I didn't realize how fast spiders grow in the first week. It's crazy.

I decided to keep him there cuz he has a lot of mosquitoes and other annoying flying critters (including a termite!)

He's all bloated now. Pretty cool seein' him wrap stuff up. His web encompasses the entire window (about 3 1/2 feet wide.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 03:44 PM

Some friends and I caught a copper head snake when we were kids, and didn't know what it was. When we got out the book to find out, the kid holding it freaked!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 04:06 PM

That was freakin' funny

When I was in high school, I worked in a supermarket. I had heard on the news that the chain had gotten a shipment of Chilean grapes that were being recalled because there were black widow spiders in the shipment.
Are there really black widows in Chile? They are pretty common in the No. Virginia area where I live. We had to get rid of a few from my neighbor's shed.

My wife an I were helping get some friends get a pasture ready for some about to be weaned foals, which included rinsing out and dumping a giant water trough (~6' X 3' X 3'). We rinsed it out and tilted it up from one of the long ends. When we got it to chest hight, we saw the bottom was moving. Threw it down and saw that it was crawling with HUNDREDS of black widows- mostly babies.

About 5 cans of RAID expired that day.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Way to exercise your human advantage there Albert.

Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 05:12 PM

Does anyone else find crustaceans exceedingly gross and disgusting (like lobsters)? They are closely related to insects, but they are freaking huge. I could never stand touching one, and I think I would puke if I had to eat one, but I don't mind watching other people eat them.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah, shrimp are pretty gross too.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 07:50 PM

Crayfish are naaaaasty. I can't believe people eat them... they kind of look like scorpions.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 4, 2005, 10:44 PM

This thread is funny.

ih8SVXsCuzRTehPoopy
Baninated
Sep 5, 2005, 08:31 PM

You're a dumb ass.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 09:11 PM

^^^ You're kidding right?

Wow.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 02:17 AM

I worry more about black widows hurting my kids than hurting me. Seems like you'd really have to mess with one to get it to bite you. however, one in your bed could really get you good.

I've never seen one inside the house, though. Usually the garage, or a shed or something. Maybe there aren't enough bugs in the house. Thats a good reason for keeping the house free of flying insects. No black widows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules