Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Drag & Drop

Drag & Drop
Paul UK
Sep 15, 2005, 07:51 AM

Quick question during my lunch.

Can I use my Powerbook Superdrive to drag & drop files onto a DVD, as you can with Nero's InCD for PC, and if so which software should I use?

Thank you.

MMMMMMmmmmmm
As lnog as the fsirt & lsat leterts are in pclae you can anrarge any wrod how you lkie & yuor biran can sitll udrensnatd it.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2005, 08:01 AM

Dragging and dropping your Powerbook can lead to scratches and dents!

If you're just backing up data, you can do that in the Finder, or use Roxio Toast. If you're actually making a DVD to play in a DVD player, you'll want to use iDVD which comes with iLife, if you've got that.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Paul UK  (op)
Sep 15, 2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks chris v,

With InCD you can use a cd-rw or dvd-rw like a hard drive by adding & deleting or replacing files at will, very easy for updating one file on a disc. I use this system for libraries of jobs at work, when a Job is updated we just stick the dvd disc in the PC and replace that single file.

Hey, 2 Stars now

MMMMMMmmmmmm
As lnog as the fsirt & lsat leterts are in pclae you can anrarge any wrod how you lkie & yuor biran can sitll udrensnatd it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2005, 11:35 AM

Sorry. We can't do that on Macs (yet).

Chris

stephanielamb
Sep 15, 2005, 02:10 PM

If you use finder, all you have to do is drag and drop your files onto the blank cd or dvd, then when you look at it in finder, instead of 'eject' you'll see 'burn'. But like someone else said, it won't automatically load in a DVD player unless you use iDVD.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 02:48 PM

That form of writing to CD (packet writing IIRC) so that it behaves like a floppy disk is not available on a Mac and all I can say is thank god! From my bitter experience it is a surefire way of losing your files and ending up with lots of corrupted disks that can't be read any more... but YMMV - maybe it was crummy software or hardware but it always did it in the end

What you can do on a Mac is create multiple session disks - rather than closing the disk after writing to prevent further burns, it can be left open so that more data can be appended to the disk (assuming there is space left to fit it on). When you insert the CD you will see multiple instances of the disk for each session burnt.

Paul UK  (op)
Sep 16, 2005, 07:42 AM

That form of writing to CD (packet writing IIRC) so that it behaves like a floppy disk is not available on a Mac and all I can say is thank god! From my bitter experience it is a surefire way of losing your files and ending up with lots of corrupted disks that can't be read any more... but YMMV - maybe it was crummy software or hardware but it always did it in the end
That was our experience also with the first two dvd drives that we used with this method, now on a third drive and all is well so far (1 year). I was hoping that a Mac version was available that worked, oh well.

Thanks for all the responces

MMMMMMmmmmmm

Forum Links
Forum Rules