Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do PBs really need a screen protector?

Do PBs really need a screen protector?
douglas.martin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 07:08 PM

I've seen advertised several different products designed to be placed between the screen and the keyboard, claiming that they will protect the screen from being scratched by the keys when the machine is closed.

Is this actually a problem? And, if so, which of these products is most effective. I've read a few reviews of iSkins, which are designed to be left on the keyboard while in use, that have indicated limited satisfaction.

Any guidance here much appreciated.

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 07:34 PM

Forget the iSkins. They're nice but they collect dirt and grease from the hands and deposit it on the screen leaving- guess what - marks on the screen. I suppose you could wash them (I actually did with mine before I gave up on it). But why would you want to do that.

Anyway with the Titanium powerbooks it's a real issue, but much less so with the Aluminums. There's loads of threads on different cloth based ones (which I recommend, if anything). Do a search.

theyoda3
Oct 3, 2005, 07:35 PM

The iSkin keyboard protector is not meant to be used as a screen protector. It only protects the keys from dirt, dust, oils, and liquids. Leaving it on while you close the computer could result in dirt and finger prints on the screen. The iSkin product is a totally differnet from a screen protector. Screen protectors are just a thin peice of a special material to keep oils and fingerprints from the keys from transfering onto the screen. Usualy this material can usually be used to also wipe the screen off as well.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2005, 09:07 PM

Hi,

I find the best and cheapest solution is to slide in a couple of sheets of regular copy paper between the screen and keyboard. For my widescreen, a just tape a couple of sheets together. It's a perfect fit, and when I need to I just grab new sheets. The cloth ones, which I had, always felt too thick, and I actually thought that they would do some damage with such a tight fit. The sheets of paper work great!

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 10:22 PM

I find kiwi juice to be very effective, actually.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

PeteC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 10:48 PM

From what I've seen, the 12" Powerbooks need a screen cover while the 15" don't have the same issue with the keys marking the screen. At least that's my experience with my Powerbook. I also use the iSkin, which does mark up the screen a bit as Paul mentioned, but the feel that the cover provides and the fact that it keeps gunk from building up under the keyboard make it worth it for me. The marks on the screen can be cleaned off easily, but I find that they don't really bother me as the screen is bright enough to make them invisible while the monitor is on. In natural lighting (outside) the marks are a bit annoying, though I like to clean my screen fairly often regardless.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2005, 12:00 AM

I don't know if it helps but I do use the Radtech screensaverz. It cleans the screen quite well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 11:24 PM

if your com is a 12 inch or even a 15 inch it is usually a good idea to use something besides windex! kiding. But it is somewhat important or your pixels will deteriorate faster

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 11:36 PM

I usually just use a damp cloth then wipe away the moisture with a microfiber cloth - like the ones you use for waxing a car.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 12:06 PM

Yes. Unless you don't care about permanent keyboard marks on the LCD.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2005, 12:52 PM

http://www.radtech.us/

These guys make the coolest scuff protection gear. Check out the notebook section. I got both the ScreensavRz and the Sleevz. They both say "PowerBook" on them, looks awesome. Although now they offer custom graphics, so you can put whatever you want on it.

My PowerBook doesn't have a single scratch on it thanks two those two products.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

stephanielamb
Oct 7, 2005, 04:06 PM

*puts in a good word for the iSkin*

Anything it might leave on the screen, comes off easily. And then I don't worry as much about getting my keyboard gross..because seriously how am I going to clean that?! Yes they're a little weird to type on at first but I never even notice it anymore.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 04:27 PM

http://www.shaggymac.com

Have been using the Shaggymac Screen Protector with my Powerbook for two years. Screen is still mint and the fact that it doubles as an optical grade cleaner is a true bonus. I use it everyday to dust the screen and when shooting photos with my D-SLR the screen protector works great to wipe down my lenses.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

jiro8281
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2005, 01:55 AM

For sure, Screen Protector should be used to protect the screen to avoid being scratched !!!

We, EXIM provides diverse screen protectors just like Pda, Cell Phone, DC, Ipod, Ipod nano, PSP, etc.
It's cheap, durable, anti-uv, antiv-scratch, washable and reusable!!

Welcome to have a look there, www.pda-now.com

and leave me reply if you have problem here.

www.pda-now.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules