Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keychain Migration to New Hardware

Keychain Migration to New Hardware
paulc
Jan 8, 2006, 06:59 PM

Just bought a new box... running Tiger now on old box so no issues there. I would LIKE to start totally fresh (i.e. not run the migration stuff) except for the issue of my stored passwords in the keychain (most other stuff I have an idea how to manually migrate... like browser bookmarks). So I desire to hand migrate my "user" keychain.

One additional caveat is that I want to use a different username on the new hardware than I had user on the old hardware. I'm assuming that a file named "oldusername" located at ~/Library/Keychain were this file lives is my user keychain file. The obvious thing would be to copy that file, rename it "newusername" and put it in this same location on the new box. Could it be that simple?

I know there is an "add a keychain" item... but will that "act" exactly like a keychain that really carries the correct and proper username (i.e. as the filename)?

gratefulspirit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 12:45 AM

I'm just trying to move it from one account on my computer to another account on my computer. I found the following somewhere in last 15 mins, that may be helpful ------------

Using your keychain on a different computer

You can access your keychain over a network or use a removable disk to take it to another computer. This way your passwords and other sensitive items are available wherever you go.

Locate your keychain in Library/Keychains, inside your home folder.
Copy your keychain to a location on the network where it is accessible from the other computer, or onto a removable storage device or recordable disc.
If you copied your keychain onto a removable device, connect it to the other computer or insert the disc.
On the other computer, open Keychain Access and choose File > Add Keychain.
Locate your keychain and click Open.

---

I'm going to try it in a moment.

Please email me at rfpnote at dailys.info if you find any other useful info yourself.

Thanks and best of luck,

Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules