Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > average life spand of an imac?

average life spand of an imac?
skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2007, 11:52 PM

I am getting rid of my powermac MDD to get a new iMac (2.16/20"). People seem to keep their powermacs in use for years and years and they are actually still functional. What kind of life expectancy can i expect from a new iMac? I am hoping to keep it for a while before i have to get a new Mac.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by skacoreimplore View Post
What kind of life expectancy can i expect from a new iMac?
Four years in the wild; up to eight years in captivity.

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2007, 01:21 AM

lol ^_^

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2007, 01:28 AM

some people keep cars for years and keep patching them up until they completely fall apart. some trade up every year. i think how long you will be satisfied with your computer depends more on you and less on the machine. years from now will you be satisfied not having the latest operating system or the newest ipod? it doesn't bother me one bit but i know it drives others crazy. most things that can go wrong can be repaired. look at my signiature, i may upgrade my g4 to another g4 (1.25) some day but i hope to keep my g3 forever. lust for newer machines puts older ones in the graveyard more than anything else.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 04:01 AM

My LC went for five years before an upgrade. My Quadra went for four years before an upgrade. My 8600 went for seven years before an upgrade (which I was thirsting for). My iBook went for six years before I had to buy an Inspiron for my laptop needs (thank you, Apple, for refusing to put a GPU in the MacBook line). I expect my G5 to last for 10 years or more.

The biggest factor is your personal choice. If you like staying current and being able to run the latest version of the OS and the latest software, you're going to find yourself upgrading more frequently.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 04:26 AM

See this thread - plenty of G3 iMacs still going strong: http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...l-use-your-g3/

skacoreimplore  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2007, 08:30 AM

if i can get 4 years out of it i will be very pleased

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 7, 2007, 09:33 AM

Spand? What's a spand?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 10:54 AM

I would definately say over 4 years.

-Dual Core system
-Mac OSX
-20" LCD (may want a 24" and use it for an extra TV)

An almost perfect time for an update and the Intel/Mac software is finally coming online strong = better speed no emulation of PowerPC stuff.
Apple product announcements for March? - Business - Macworld UK (wait just a few more weeks for a better deal or to get a newer one -I would buy a newer one)

With a Vista System I would say 2 years and a few SPs. Because WinVista either works or is poor (about a 50/50 deal right now) and you do not have drivers for a lot of the hardware.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 8, 2007, 03:19 PM

You can't use it as a TV for gaming, currently there are no products which give you a freakin input to the beautiful iMac LCDs. Sure, there's EMULATION of inputs, with lag, ie, everything from eyetv, but that doesn't allow you to use any gaming system whatsoever and the sound has trouble syncing. LAME.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 04:46 PM

I thought the EyeTV had a switch that disabled the lag.
Linkinus is king.

P
Mar 8, 2007, 05:47 PM

When you would want to flip the switch to enable the lag?

Tucom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 10:01 PM

PLUS: you can just use an external screen later on if the internal one dies, which should last plenty long, especially if you have that the urge to get the newest stuff =P.

Peace

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 10:26 PM

One of my friend's mom is still using a 500 MHz G3 for her business.

All_Insane
Mar 8, 2007, 10:58 PM

17" iBook G5 PPC: 14 months
20" iBook G5 Intel: *hopefully* a heck of a lot longer

(FYI, G3 clamshell iBook... 7 yrs and still going strong.)

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
I thought the EyeTV had a switch that disabled the lag.
That's what I thought also, which is why I got rid of my TV and purchased a 24" imac. Unfortunately the 'lag free' gaming mode is still laggy. Freaking jerks. If I had enough money I'd sue their asses into the ground for false advertising. Read any review of someone who actually owns one and has tried using that mode. It still has lag. Unbelievable.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
You can't use it as a TV for gaming, currently there are no products which give you a freakin input to the beautiful iMac LCDs. Sure, there's EMULATION of inputs, with lag, ie, everything from eyetv, but that doesn't allow you to use any gaming system whatsoever and the sound has trouble syncing. LAME.
-people use it for internet TV etc. You are right and the new iMacs should address this fact. (start complaining to Apple about this)

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 11:55 AM

I think these iMacs would last longer if the parts inside them were more cutting edge. The graphics are not great and the buggy slow DVD writer barely passes modern muster. I also thought the modern thinking was to brand every component, much like a new mountain bike (Shimano Gears, XYZ Forks, etc..) but Apple has gone the other route - lowest cost per spec bits.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
I think these iMacs would last longer if the parts inside them were more cutting edge. The graphics are not great and the buggy slow DVD writer barely passes modern muster. I also thought the modern thinking was to brand every component, much like a new mountain bike (Shimano Gears, XYZ Forks, etc..) but Apple has gone the other route - lowest cost per spec bits.
True: I believe we could have a spander in the werks here.

gregarios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by All_Insane View Post

(FYI, G3 clamshell iBook... 7 yrs and still going strong.)
You do seem to live up to your name All_Insane...

What the heck is a G5 Intel, or a 20" iBook, or a G5 iBook for that matter? None of these things even exist! LOL

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by All_Insane View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this.
20" iBook G5 Intel? A 20" iBook? And G5 or Intel? I got lost there.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 08:40 PM

Does that person mean a 20" iMac?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2007, 08:47 PM

A G5 Intel still makes no sense.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 11:11 PM

If I can get 3-4 years I am happy. Longer is a bonus. I have a G3 ibook that is STILL working fine.

Tom

applenut1
Senior User
Mar 10, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
That's what I thought also, which is why I got rid of my TV and purchased a 24" imac. Unfortunately the 'lag free' gaming mode is still laggy. Freaking jerks. If I had enough money I'd sue their asses into the ground for false advertising. Read any review of someone who actually owns one and has tried using that mode. It still has lag. Unbelievable.
I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

I use video games on both the EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV USB 2.0 without any problem whatsoever on my 24" iMac

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 02:06 PM

Anyone who buys an iMac for games is a complaint waiting to happen.
They just can't cope with anything remotely current in the games market.

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 03:10 PM

My g3 imac 450mhz was bought in 2000 and probably should have been retired last year. I still use it as my main machine despite having highend PCs in the house. It should have been retired last year for 2 reasons. 1) Internet plug-ins and apple's own quicktime are failing to function on the measily 8mbs of video memory. and 2) I suspect that apple's attempt to support so many processors since the g3 put's them between a rock and a hard place, when they need to patch the system. This thing ran excellent for a few years following the OS X 10.3 install, but now it struggles and the only thing I've installed were itunes/quicktime updades and OS X patches. (I've upgraded the harddrive and reinstalled OS X- which yielded no performance gains). So it had a good 6 year run despite apple having more important hardware to give priority to. I would expect today's Imacs to go further, and like the other poster suggested, it will make an excellent TV/DVD device when you are done using it as a computer. I think the critical component to focus on when buying a mac is the graphics card, or at least the graphics memory. Apple loves pushing the visual envelope. So, I think if you're going with the imac, and you want to maximize it's usefullness, you have to go with the 256 mb video up grade. If my g3 can be usefull for 6 years on 8 mb of video, your new imac should meet or exceed 6 years. ( I should note, that I wasn't afraid to open my imac and fix it when needed. If I wasn't able to do that, I would have had to put it to rest in 2005 when my CRT died.)
( Last edited by mexicali100; Mar 11, 2007 at 03:32 PM. )

garythecynic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 05:30 PM

Put lots of RAM in it (1 GB now, upgrade to 2GB later maybe ) and you should be good to go for 4 years at least, depending on how cutting edge you need to be regarding technology.

About the cutting edge, if you are a gamer (hardcore 3D stuff), then you will see the video card outdated first. I generally find that the CPU keeps pace with current software for years beyond any other component. Barring that scenario, you should be fine using the current setup as a work/home computer with lots of RAM (yes, I cannot stress how much OSX likes RAM).

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1 View Post
I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

I use video games on both the EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV USB 2.0 without any problem whatsoever on my 24" iMac
Read the reviews for yourself, I think you just aren't paying much attention:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/review...ews.php?ID=714

All people who tried to play a game that required fast reflexes said the same thing: LAG. Boot up DDR or Frequency and let me know how it goes.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
Anyone who buys an iMac for games is a complaint waiting to happen.
They just can't cope with anything remotely current in the games market.
That's funny. My 24" iMac with 7600GT plays "Prey" just fine with everything cranked, at a retardedly high resolution. It also plays quake 4 and halo and ut2004 and doom3 just fine, at huge resolutions.

Stoopid
Mar 13, 2007, 12:50 PM

My old g3 400dv special edition circa late 2000 (which I bought used in 2002!) is still humming along quite nicely at a friend's house. She's had it almost a year, she thinks it's great, and it turned her into a preaching convert! Can you imagine? A 6 year old g3 becoming someone's new favorite computer?! She works with PCs all day at work and just likes the feel of her lil ol' imac. iphoto, word, itunes, firefox, MSN. She doesn't need much else. Upon her recommendation, a relative of hers just bought a macbook.

And my old rev A g4 imac 700 (Also bought used!) is at another friend's house and that thing is doing quite nicely.

Bottom line: your imac should last a very long time. With you for at least a few years, and probably with someone else for even longer!

My Performa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2007, 09:40 PM

My iMac is a Summer 2000, 400hz, bought in March 2001 as a refurb, with 576mb ram and a 80gig hd. It is now in its 'Golden Years', as a Word Processor, to watch You Tube videos, surf the net, and for email.

I also use it for iPhoto 5. I figure the iMac has several (4 or 5) more years, barring another lightening strike (two already and one burned out fire wire port!) and/ or failed battery. My guess is my iMac will run for 5+ years; however, I probably won't be able to use latest versions of Quicktime, Firefox, and upgrades to 10.4 software won't be forever. I will be able to use for word processing, games, fax, and vewing QT movies.

I am waiting for Leopard to come out, then the next update to MacBook line or the iMac line which will have Leopard installed. Given the long life span of a Mac (I have a Performa 630 as a back-up for email, web browsing and watch ing TV as it has an Apple TV Tuner Card). I am leaning towards a portable rather than a 3rd desktop.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2007, 10:44 AM

In my mind, the long life span of macs is their biggest problem. We have a original FP 800 G4 imac and it is still working perfectly and for us. I personally want a new computer but my wife won't let me, she is used to PC dying and won't get a new computer until this one dies. ):
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Calli46
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2007, 08:54 PM

In my mind, the long life span of macs is their biggest problem. We have a original FP 800 G4 imac and it is still working perfectly and for us. I personally want a new computer but my wife won't let me, she is used to PC dying and won't get a new computer until this one dies. ):
Sometimes, an old aging pet needs a little help to pass out with dignity... Open up the poor thing and using some sharp metallic object, you can get it out of its agony.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

DJDMac84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 03:35 PM

I would say a solid 2 years, 3 years if you can make it stretch. This is why:

1) Only able to have 2GB of Ram. Deffinatly fine for 90% of users right now, and probly through next year. But We are in a time where 1GB of ram is not enough, and im sure 2GB wont be either. Espically with the move to 64-Bit memory addressing etc.

2) Only Dual Core. Again, awesome for right now, but Quad core is on the horizion, etc... The move is to multi threaded. Now, by no means will your computer be "slow" in 2 or so years, but it deffinatly wont be fast either. Espically when future OS's take advantage of multicore.

Now, by no means does this mean that in 4 years you wont be able to use this computer but just like anything else, its going to be stretching it.

Finally, I dont like how there is only 3 USB ports on the accual computer. Ick. I think I have my mouse, keyboard, 2 thumb drives, and external hard drive, digital camera, and iPod. And thats only off the top of my head. I beielve a Minimum of 6 USB 2.0 Ports should be required for any computer now n' days. Im sure that in 4 years, you will be struggeling with only 3 USB 2.0 Ports.

Forum Links
Forum Rules