Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ridiculous: Apple Outsourcing Sucks

Ridiculous: Apple Outsourcing Sucks
Nov 12, 2007, 10:20 AM

I have a problem and I've called FIVE times to have the problem taken care of...under AppleCare Extended Warranty.

I call (it's an iMac) and they route me to a call center.

Where? Well, two times it was to the Phillippines and then the call gets transferred to India where I wait on hold an indeterminate amount of time and then it transfers once more...to nothing. Three times I had the good fortune to get directly to India...where the call was then dropped.

Now somebody remind me...why did I buy AppleCARE?

I'm waiting on hold with a nice chap in Canada presently...who works with PowerMac Pro support...I begged him to help me even though he's not iMac help and hopefully he'll be able to (he's currently looking into it.)

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 10:22 AM

If I could get CS3 for Linux, I'd so be there.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If I could get CS3 for Linux, I'd so be there.
Then, all you have to do is track down the developer on IRC and hope s/he's polite.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 10:37 AM

This isn't just an apple thing, i think outsourcing in general sux. I've very rarely had a positive experience with it.

In my job, I frequently need to call oracle support for help and if I get shunted over to india the quality of help is absolutely awful.

Not only is it costing jobs in my field, the replacements are so poorly trained, barely understand english, and their accents can be quite thick so its difficult to have a dialog. Companies just look at the bottom line without looking at how much it may really be costing them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 10:41 AM

That's the one and only thing I really like about Verizon Wireless - they've always maintained U.S. employed tech support.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Then, all you have to do is track down the developer on IRC and hope s/he's polite.
Um yeah..

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 10:47 AM

You weren't able to determine how long you waited? No clocks? No wristwatch?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

(op)
Nov 12, 2007, 10:56 AM

Me? Oh yeah, I kept track...it was over 3 HOURS waiting on hold, collectively.

Apple makes record profits and harasses us to get extended support, we do, and then they deliver THE crappiest tech support because, guess what? The tech support within 1 year was fine...but the tech support for AppleCare extended is TERRIBLE. Finally the guy in Canada helped me/us actually and the part is on the way, but I'll probably get charged for it since I'm sure they'll bill my CC saying that the replacement part (to be returned) wasn't returned in timely fashion.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 11:00 AM

I don't think there's any difference between normal 1 year tech support and Apple Care extended tech support. Both suck until you get to a second level tech.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

The only time I've had to call Apple support (had AppleCare), it was a very good experience. I was on hold for probably 20 minutes, and the first person I spoke to was able to get the problem diagnosed for me and arrange for the DHL pick-up. This was about a year and a half ago.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
Me? Oh yeah, I kept track...it was over 3 HOURS waiting on hold, collectively.
Ahh, so then you didn't "wait on hold an indeterminate amount of time."
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 02:59 PM

Comcast also keeps support US only. Their rates are high, their quality of service so-so, but their phone support has always rocked.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Nov 12, 2007, 04:41 PM

yeah...try Adobe support...that's a nightmare.

nikstar101
Nov 12, 2007, 05:07 PM

I must admit i don't like the idea of call centres all directing you half away around the world. And the one time i did call AppleCARE it was based outside the UK but then again they did solve the problem pretty quick. Well i say solve it they just said send to this company and they swapped the power supply.

Nik

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 05:15 PM

It's not outsourcing that you're complaining about, it's off-shoring... Most outsourcing that US companies do is to other US companies, and it's generally a good thing for all those involved. My company is basically an outsourcing company—almost all my work is outsourced to me by others—and yet I'm not stealing American jobs.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2007, 09:54 PM

The only time I've been routed outside the U.S. by AppleCare was when I had a question about a "failed after a Genius repaired it" iPod. They routed me to a foreign supervisor-in Canada. I've only had a few incidents with AppleCare, but I've never been routed to someone who either didn't pay proper attention to me or whom I could not properly understand. Not so Chase Bank Card operations... but that's a different issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 10:32 PM

That's interesting, seeing as how Apple doesn't have any call centers in India. They had planned one there, but it never went live.

Apple hangs up on India call center | CNET News.com

Also interesting is that Consumer Reports, in their annual computer survey, which is based on actual feedback reports, rates Apple #1 in support for the last six years.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Also interesting is that Consumer Reports, in their annual computer survey, which is based on actual feedback reports, rates Apple #1 in support for the last six years.

True but I also read reports lately that show apple is struggling with support issues related to increased growth. To be honest I've had pretty good experiences with them. I had to call them a few times through out the years and perhaps all but one was less then stellar. The latest call was last year when I needed a new set of install discs for my MacPro. The first level that I got to - I could have sworn they were Indian. They had that accent and it was quite thick. She had difficulty understanding me and what my problem was, but once I got transfered things went smoothy.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
That's interesting, seeing as how Apple doesn't have any call centers in India.
Shhh. Don't bring reality into this. You're no better than that person complaining about the discrepancy between "indeterminate" time and 3 hours.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
True but I also read reports lately that show apple is struggling with support issues related to increased growth. To be honest I've had pretty good experiences with them. I had to call them a few times through out the years and perhaps all but one was less then stellar. The latest call was last year when I needed a new set of install discs for my MacPro. The first level that I got to - I could have sworn they were Indian. They had that accent and it was quite thick. She had difficulty understanding me and what my problem was, but once I got transfered things went smoothy.
There are people with Indian accents who live here in the US... Many of them are even American citizens...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
There are people with Indian accents who live here in the US... Many of them are even American citizens...
I understand that however if you barely understand english and/or have such a thick accent then you shouldn't be taking support calls. So if they are in this country then its a poor placement since they're impeding support. If they're in India then they are taking jobs away from Americans.

I'm not a racist, or anti-Indian or anything like that. In fact I work with a number of Indians and I also have some friends who are from india.

Outsourcing isn't just moving jobs to India, there's other parts of the world that have and continue to take American jobs away from Americans.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 12:21 PM

Right, when your job is to communicate with the customer, it's best that the person you are talking with is good at it. Most of the time this isn't the case. The language barrier causes a problem. While most "know" English, there are still language issues. And when trying to solve a problem, this is a big deal.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2007, 01:47 PM

I haven't called the AppleCare line for years now as I have access to the Apple retail store and ProCare.

The most recent support call I rang up was T-Mobile. It was okay and I didn't have any problem understanding, but I still ended up going to the actual store.

(op)
Nov 13, 2007, 03:26 PM

I know for a fact that I was routed to India. Bangalore to be exact. Just got off the phone with them again and I asked where the person is/was and he said, "Bangalore, India."

So whether or not they stopped outsourcing is irrelevant - calls are going to India at this point.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Outsourcing isn't just moving jobs to India, there's other parts of the world that have and continue to take American jobs away from Americans.
It's American companies that take jobs away from Americans. And the reason why they're forced to do that is because they re under intense pressure to keep prices as low as possible.

We can now buy stuff we don't need in quantities that we can't use at prices our parents could only dream of. And we can do that because almost our entire manufacturing industry has gone to the dogs. So has quality, craftsmanship, longevity, repairability and many other things we used to take for granted. Now if something is broken we just chuck it - it's cheaper to replace than to fix it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
It's American companies that take jobs away from Americans. And the reason why they're forced to do that is because they re under intense pressure to keep prices as low as possible.
There's the rub.

If I'm out of a job I'm not going to be buying anything, so while corporate America is looking to reduce their overhead (at the expense of quality help) so they can better compete they're forgetting who their customers are. The folks, families and friends they just laid off.

Edit:
Also when those folks get a job and if its lower paying (so the business can better compete) they'll still be buying less then before they got laid off. In the long run, outsourcing only hurts our economy. At some point we're going to be a nation of fast food workers and no real industry will be here. How long can a nation prosper with little exports, little real industry and a giant service sector?

Forum Links
Forum Rules