Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Macintosh Quadra 700

Macintosh Quadra 700
Panz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 10:06 AM

Hi All,

I was at work today clearing out one of our old warehouses and I found an old Mactintosh Quadra 700. I couldn't bring myself to put it in the skip so I put it to one side and then took it into my office.

I can only find a keyboard for it and no other peropherals. The monitor output is not one I recognise and I was wandering if anyone on here knew what it was and if there was anyway of connecting it upto a normal VGA monitor?

Thanks for your help guys. My intention is to try and get it up and running once I can connect it all up!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 10:24 AM

Old-style 68k Macs have a special video connector that is like VGA, with extra pins. Adaptors are definitely available, although they might be hard to come by now that Apple has been using more standard video connectors for the past ten years or so. You could look on E-bay, or just ask in the Marketplace here and an old-school Mac fan might have one in their basement they can sell you. Heck, I might have extras in my basement!

Panz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 10:50 AM

thanks dude ill do a bit of research. I'm in the UK so shipping might be expensive but ill get my research going. Does anyone know what the official name for that type of connection was?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 10:58 AM

Here's an expensive one: Belkin MAC-VGA Adapter - F3H1381

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 03:05 PM

wow !! a mighty Quadra 700, that's one of my all time favourites, I keep watching Jurassic Park just to look at that Quadra yelling ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!

Maybe you don't need it, but there is a supplier of Mac parts here:
Vintage Desktop Quadra 700 Apple Mac Parts and Repairs from VIS Ltd

Good luck with that beauty.

nikstar101
Dec 5, 2007, 04:40 PM

I think this is what you are after.

VGA to Mac Monitor Adapter | VGA | Video / Monitor | Adapters | LINDY UK

I got one of these ages ago for my PM4400.

Actually that might work the wrong way round. If so try this:
Mac LC to VGA Monitor Adaptor Cable (15DM/15HDF), 0.15m | VGA | Video / Monitor | Adapters | LINDY UK

Nik

Panz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 02:14 PM

thanks for the links guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules