Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > performace gain after graphics update ?

performace gain after graphics update ?
Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 01:40 AM

Anyone else feeling the graphics snappier™ after the update ? Specifically the Dock.
Haven't tried any games yet though ...
( Last edited by Sarc; Feb 12, 2008 at 01:12 PM. )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2008, 01:48 AM

I hate to say this but after the update I am beginning to notice a considerable amount of beach-balling especially switching between a large pdf and then opening the finder. I know that my machine is not a speed demon (g4 1.5) but this did not happen in 10.5.1
( Last edited by tkmd; Feb 12, 2008 at 02:09 AM. )
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 02:05 AM

I dunno yet, time will tell...

-t

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 02:48 AM

I have a 2.16 C2D MBP. After applying the graphics update my Xbench scores for Quartz Graphics Test and OpenGL Graphics Test improved significantly (45% and 26%). The User Interface Test did not improve significantly.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
I hate to say this but after the update I am beginning to notice a considerable amount of beach-balling especially switching between a large pdf and then opening the finder. I know that my machine is not a speed demon (g4 1.5) but this did not happen in 10.5.1
I am having the same issue with a 2.66 Mac Pro.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 04:06 PM

I have not noticed any performance gain or degradation. Basically it feels the same as before the update.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I have not noticed any performance gain or degradation. Basically it feels the same as before the update.
I'd have to agree with that. Then again I was never disappointed with raw Leopard performance on my 2.4 GHz MBP.

I did however see that the XBench scores for OpenGL did get quite an increase after the update. Unfortunately, even after the update they're barely on par with a 2.33 GHz MBP running Tiger. It appears the OpenGL drivers for the ATI Mobility 1600 were more mature than those for the GeForce 8600M.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 06:28 PM

When using the 3D dock, the minimize animation and the Dashboard fade-in animation was very choppy. Switching to the 2D dock made things Tiger-smooth again.

I'm happy to see that both animations are now just as smooth using the 3D dock as the 2D dock.

(This is on a first-gen CD 2.0 Ghz MBP)

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 08:11 PM

I was disappointed my Time Machine eye candy wasn't made better with 10.5.2. The fly-in is choppy. Also, you have to hover over the time points on the right side of the screen for several seconds before they become clickable and zoom you back in time.

This is on a G5 iMac with more than a gig of RAM.

On my MacBook, Time Machine performs more smoothly, but isn't keynote snappy by any stretch of the imagination.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 10:41 PM

I can tell that it's faster but how much faster is hard to say:

-XPlane 9 seems as fluid and fast with the videocard at standard speed as it did previously overclocked and seems
a hair smoother and more fluid. The aircraft seems more responsive and more "real".

-Geekbench on my G5 2.5 dual with Radeon 9600 XT used to clock in at 2150, after today it says it's 2244.

-XBench rates higher, but how much higher is due to this update is hard to say.

Anyone have anything else I should try?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 01:14 AM

Too me the update makes things faster on my MacBook Pro 17, but it could be the 4gigs of ram that I put in over the weekend

damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2008, 01:23 AM

it could be the 4gigs of ram that I put in over the weekend
That could have some effect on the matter. Lol.

UpQuark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 11:11 AM

IT does feel a bit snappier.. F8 works smoother.. shifting between Spaces is less choppy - much more crisp. But that is me..

iMac 24" 2.16C2D - 3 GIG ram.. which I could toss in 4..
" That is just crazy, man!"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2008, 11:15 AM

The performance enhancement I've seen by upgrading from Tiger to 10.5.2 has been nothing short of impressive. I don't know if it's attributable to Leopard or the graphics upgrade specifically, but my G5's interface feels substantially faster.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I was disappointed my Time Machine eye candy wasn't made better with 10.5.2. The fly-in is choppy. Also, you have to hover over the time points on the right side of the screen for several seconds before they become clickable and zoom you back in time.
I believe that the delay while you hover of the right side of the screen is caused by the system reading the various time machine backup points and not do to the graphics.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Homer1946 View Post
I believe that the delay while you hover of the right side of the screen is caused by the system reading the various time machine backup points and not do to the graphics.
I'm going to agree with that. In my experience how snappy and smooth TM behaves depends mainly on the speed of the HDD and bus it's on. Talke a very fast disk in a MP and it's all very nice and smooth. Take a 2.5" USB disk hooked up to that same Mac and it's all choppy and slow.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 02:53 PM

My Dock is approximately 65% Snappier™ after installing 10.5.2 and the graphics update. Not sure which is responsible, but I like it a lot. It's just as fluid as the Tiger Dock was, so I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Barked
Feb 20, 2008, 12:07 PM

After installing the graphics update on my G4 (dual 1G) i now have to restart aafter sleeping to get the display back. Waking from sleep produces a "no Signal" error. fwiw i have an Acer 22" that otherwise works fine...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 12:31 PM

I don't think I've installed this on my old G4 yet. Will do that later.

My wife's G4 1.25 ghz iMac seems a bit faster too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules