Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question for video web content guys

Question for video web content guys
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 08:02 AM

Hi guys, I´m sure this is a dilemma many have encountered, but still, i need some kind of input.

Ok, i finished a animation/video to be included in a customer web site (4 min long). I´m figuring out which video format/codec to use. The main goal being that it should just work for the largest number of clients possible.

I can assume that most will use windows/explorer.

Originally, the movie/animation is in quicktime and looks great. My concerns are:

1. Which format(s)/codecs must be available.
2. Which settings will keep quality.
3. Which software to convert it (I have quicktime pro, and Flash8)

Any advice will be very welcome. Thanks
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

NZFL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2008, 08:06 AM

I work in the film industry and the standard format is Quicktime. If your client does not have quicktime may I recommend VLC player. It plays all or mostly all media files.
There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 5, 2008, 08:11 AM

If the goal is to reach the broadest audience possible - Flash video, no contest. I'm not entirely sure that I remember these numbers correctly, but the installed base of the Flash plugin is about 3 times as large as QuickTime's (something in the area of >80% Flash, 25-30% QT). I no longer have Flash 8 installed, but AFAIK, QT Pro lets you convert to Flash video (*.flv).

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:53 AM

Flash, absolutely.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2008, 08:53 AM

First of all, there are countries where IE is not the #1 browser anymore, Firefox is (in Germany, about 50 % of the users surf the web with Firefox). You should make sure that your website works with Firefox and IE. I agree that you can use QuickTime to distribute your video.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 5, 2008, 09:01 AM

The browser's got next to nothing to do (*) with what cenutrio needs to get done - it's a question of plugins. And not only is the user base with Flash much, much larger, the Flash player is also a seriously smaller download for those who don't have either (highly unlikely).

And I'm saying that as someone who is definitely not a big friend of Flash. But it quite simply is one of the realities a web nerd has to live with ... online video gets done most efficiently in Flash, sites need to render properly in IE, etc., etc.

(* - aside from him needing a container <div> that renders properly within the given layout)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 09:21 AM

Flash supports h.264, so I think it should be relatively easy to offer the viewer a choice to use Flash or view it directly as .mp4 (then using QuickTime or whatever plug-in he has installed for this type on his platform) while uploading the actual video file only once. You'd also support the iPhone then.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 09:26 AM

Overwhelming response here, thanks so much.

However, my question may have been a bit confusing. I was referring to customers visualizing the vid from their browser.

I agree that some of them are gonna do it from iPhone, thus there may be problems, thus I´ll also provide an h.264 option. Still, flash will be the default option.

Again thanks a lot.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 11:13 AM

H.264. Hands down.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 05:37 PM

H.264 video in a Flash container.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 5, 2008, 05:41 PM

^ You guys are aware of the fact that H.264 has only been supported since Flash player ≥v.9, and that - depending on his target audience - you might not be doing him a favor at all, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules