Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb 08 narrow content area

iWeb 08 narrow content area
roller
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2008, 08:43 PM

It seems to me that the default content area for iWeb templates (even the blank ones) is very narrow. The inspector lists the default width as 723 pixels. I know I can widen it in the layout tab of the page inspector, but the question is how wide should I go? I don't want users to have to scroll right and left to see the width of the page, but I want a larger content area, say the width of MacNN's site, for example. Thanks....
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 07:20 PM

to your lower right you see a blue circle with an "i". That's the inspector.

When the inspector opens (a soggy name, but it actually lets you create web pages, so "creator" would be more appropriate), click on the second tab from the left, that looks like a page.

In the next menu, click format (the right of the two buttons). There you can adjust the format of the web page, footer, header, background color etc.

There is a pdf that teaches you the basics of iWeb under the help section, or you can download it, after a google search, from Apple.

roller  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks, Veltliner...

As I mentioned above, I am aware of the layout options in the inspector. What I don't "get" is why my content area, which is apparently 700 or so pixels does not seem to have the same width of most of the web pages I visit. Is it because my monitor resolution is 1440 x 900 and the pages I visit adjust accordingly, or is it that those pages are actually more than 700 px wide? If so, those with lower resolution settings must have to scroll, correct?

Thanks again...

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 03:39 AM

You are probable referring to the dimensions of web pages.

Put in 1024 width, and you'll find you'll have a similar width as most web pages have.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You are probable referring to the dimensions of web pages.

Put in 1024 width, and you'll find you'll have a similar width as most web pages have.
I agree. If you're using a fixed size, assume 1024 pixel width. It's a size most people support, and not much scrolling if (for whatever reason) someone is using a resolution of 800x600.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

roller  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 04:19 PM

Someone recommended I use Xray to look at what other sites are doing; it is VERY cool and is exactly what I needed. I appears most of the sites I visit are set to a width of 980 px. I also looked at the stats of those visiting my sites and it looks like fewer than 6% (of the known resolutions) have a resolution lower than 1024. So, it appears "safe" to use what appears to be a standard width of 980 instead of 700, which will be a nice change. Thanks Veltliner and oldPigeon...

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by roller View Post
Someone recommended I use Xray to look at what other sites are doing; it is VERY cool and is exactly what I needed. I appears most of the sites I visit are set to a width of 980 px. I also looked at the stats of those visiting my sites and it looks like fewer than 6% (of the known resolutions) have a resolution lower than 1024. So, it appears "safe" to use what appears to be a standard width of 980 instead of 700, which will be a nice change. Thanks Veltliner and oldPigeon...
You're welcome!

Are you using awstats to monitor your sites?

roller  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2008, 07:53 PM

No, I use StatCounter. It's free and does more than I need it to...

nikstar101
Jul 27, 2008, 08:05 AM

I have found that yes i can increase the layout area on the web page but the navigation bar at the top messes up. Especially when using the Dark Room theme as the background texture for the nav bar doesn't cover the whole screen and it seems impossible to change it..

Forum Links
Forum Rules