Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New Apple headphones are not compatible with iphone

New Apple headphones are not compatible with iphone
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 04:25 PM

On Apple's website the iphone does not appear among the compatible devices listed for the Apple in-ear headphones. This sucks, since I could really use external controls when playing music on my iphone 3G. Maybe they will update it.
( Last edited by Zeeb; Sep 9, 2008 at 04:39 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 04:26 PM

I'm guessing the 3G is, but the original iPhone isn't. If it works with the iPod touch, it should for the iPhone.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 04:40 PM

I hope so. Yet, its not listed on the website and no mention of compatibility at the keynote--

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2008, 04:08 PM

That would be completely lame if they didn't work with the iphone.
The new volume buttons and the option to rewind is awesome.
The only reason for the mic is for voice recording on the nano? What gives?

nikstar101
Sep 11, 2008, 08:31 AM

Yeah i am quite annoyed that these new super headphones don't seemt o work with the iPhone. It is a right pain if your struck on a tube train packed with people and you need to skip a track.

Honesly i would be happy if my old Nano remote headphones which plug into the dock connector worked with the iPhone.

-Q-
Sep 11, 2008, 10:01 AM

It could be that until the new iPhone firmware is released on Friday, the new headphones aren't yet officially compatible. They may wait until that's released to update the page.

nikstar101
Sep 11, 2008, 10:08 AM

I thought about that too, but since the headphones aren't out till Oct, i don't see the point in waiting till 2.1

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
I thought about that too, but since the headphones aren't out till Oct, i don't see the point in waiting till 2.1
Yeah, the more I read about this the less likely it seems these particular headphones will be fully compatible. The only hope is that a separate pair of iphone compatible headphones will be available or announced soon. Maybe Apple is preparing a high end bluetooth version or something.

Then again, apple has been making a lot of counterintuitve decisions lately so who knows? The iphone was supposed to fully combine a phone and ipod according to what Steve said when the iphone was introduced. Like just about everyone, I assumed there would be no functions or major accessories left off the iphone that were available on the ipod touch.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Yeah i am quite annoyed that these new super headphones don't seemt o work with the iPhone. It is a right pain if your struck on a tube train packed with people and you need to skip a track.
I thought a double-click skips to the next song on the iPhone.

-Q-
Sep 12, 2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I thought a double-click skips to the next song on the iPhone.
It does, indeed, with a single-click pausing the song.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 05:15 PM

I can confirm this: the new headphones do work with the (2G) iPhone, except for the volume buttons.

njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I can confirm this: the new headphones do work with the (2G) iPhone, except for the volume buttons.
Did you do this test with the 2.1 firmware? I'm interested in getting these headphones, but only if the volume buttons work.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 07:16 PM

Yep. I believe that iLounge tested them and found the same thing. Basically there is no point in getting them then for most iPhone users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules