Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Jailbroken/unlocked iphone forum

Jailbroken/unlocked iphone forum
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 08:15 AM

Unless MacNN doesn't want to do this because of loyalty to Apple, which I'd understand, I think there should be a subforum of the iPhone/iPod touch forums for jailbreaking/unlocking iPhones, and discussion of cydia/installer and the various apps available.

I'm only suggesting this because I just recently jailbroke my phone, and visited many other forums I've found through google in an effort to get a guide here and there (the whole 10.5.6 issue with QuickPwn... had to look all over for a fix).

If not, that's fine... just remember I suggested an iPod forum here about 5 years ago before there was one, and got shot down... now look what happened!

I just think it would be good to differentiate between virgin iPhone/iPod discussions, and then jailbroken discussions.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 4, 2009, 08:28 AM

So you're advocating a new forum just for supporting jail broken iphones when we don't even have an iphone specific forum? How many specific jail broken threads are in that forum? I suspect the number can be counted on one hand, which means it makes little sense to have a separate forum to hold a handful of threads.
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2009, 09:10 AM

Apart from the questionably (if you ask Apple) legality, why not use one of the forums that's actually frequented by people interested in the subject matter?

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-modding/

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
So you're advocating a new forum just for supporting jail broken iphones when we don't even have an iphone specific forum? How many specific jail broken threads are in that forum? I suspect the number can be counted on one hand, which means it makes little sense to have a separate forum to hold a handful of threads.
You're right; however, when I made the request for the iPod forum, there were only a handful of posts about the iPod in the Peripherals forum (where the iPod threads were assigned).

Since then, iPod demand has grown exponentially, and especially with the App Store, the iPhone/iPod touch is virtually a whole new platform.

I think the jailbreaking phase is at the beginning, and will slowly grow in popularity as it becomes as easy as 1 click just to jailbreak your phone (almost there already...)

We have a Mac Modification forum, which is pretty much dead as far as I can see. I don't see the problem of having a dedicated iPhone/iPod jailbreaking forum just because the demand as of now is not terribly strong.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Apart from the questionably (if you ask Apple) legality, why not use one of the forums that's actually frequented by people interested in the subject matter?

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-modding/
Agreed; the legality is probably the most legitimate answer, because MacNN wants to stay on Apple's good side I'm sure as they are paid advertisers if I'm not mistaken.

The reason I'd rather have a forum here than the link you supplied, is that I don't want to make a whole new account, work my way up post counts, etc. etc. in a whole new forum, plus the fact that most forums are $hit compared to here due to the vast majority of internet users flooding forums with crap (I know that happens here sometimes, but still), and ... well, I guess it's pretty much the same as above, MacNN feels like my "home" forum if that makes any sense, and since it's discussing iPhones/iPods, and the various appstores available, I don't see why it wouldn't belong here.

I don't know, not even compeletly set on the idea, not gonna make or break my day one way or the other, just thought it was a good suggestion and I figured other people on MacNN would like some kind of FAQ/guide/place to ask questions if they decide to take the plunge and jailbreak their phone.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 4, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
We have a Mac Modification forum, which is pretty much dead as far as I can see. I don't see the problem of having a dedicated iPhone/iPod jailbreaking forum just because the demand as of now is not terribly strong.
And a GUI forum that is even deader (real word?) on the flip side the folks at 'NN merged the laptop forum because having separate MB/MBP forums made little sense. Likewise creating and administrating a new forum that will be dead from the get go (and little hope of growing) makes little sense.

I already put a suggestion here in the feedback forum to put the GUI forum out to pasture and the same could be said for the modification forum. Instead of creating new forums with extremely limited audience the mods/admins should sweep through and eliminate the dead ones.

Just to summarize since the admins/mods are not interested in spinning off the iPhone into its own forum, I doubt they're be willing to consider a jailbroken forum
Just my $.02
~Mike

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2009, 11:48 AM

I don't think intentionally creating a dead forum will do much good — just create more work when we have to decide what to do with it later.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
May 4, 2009, 12:04 PM

What's wrong with putting it into the iPhone/iPod forum?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't think intentionally creating a dead forum will do much good — just create more work when we have to decide what to do with it later.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What's wrong with putting it into the iPhone/iPod forum?
Agreed; I didn't really know (and I guess still don't) how hard it is to add another forum. I thought it could just be a little sub category, like the Pol/war lounge under the lounge (but it would need waaay less moderation).

I get yalls point, too much work for little benefit; the only reason I mentioned it was because I was surprised at how void of jailbreaking topics the forum was (like I said, I just jailbroke my phone yesterday for the first time in 2 years).

But no worries, just a suggestion no huge deal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2009, 01:36 PM

In the tradition of 'NN:

-t

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
In the tradition of 'NN:

-t
Ironically, I was just thinking of how in the last time I did a feedback thread (suggesting the iPod forum) someone posted the request denied image there too. I remember it because I remember thinking what a douche when the forum actually got made about a year afterwards... (not that you're a d-bag, i'm assuming you were just playing around...... even though you do have that image hosted on your own photobucket... )

Forum Links
Forum Rules