Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180

Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180
tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 09:04 AM

I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

As I am interested in Adobe Photoshop Elements I see that I need to upgrade the OS to at least OS 9.0, I figure I might as well go to OS 9.1. What are the incompatibilties with OS 9.1 and are any insurmountable? I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Hope someone can offer advice. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
<STRONG>I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

As I am interested in Adobe Photoshop Elements I see that I need to upgrade the OS to at least OS 9.0, I figure I might as well go to OS 9.1. What are the incompatibilties with OS 9.1 and are any insurmountable? I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood</STRONG>

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 06:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
[QB]I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

I have a PCP 210, and I'm currently running 9.0.4 in it. I don't have a scanner, but my HP 970 Printer is attached via a USB/Firewire PCI Card. I've heard of guys running 9.1 in these machines, so it's possible. But if your present OS is version 8, this is how I'd upgrade to 9.1:

1) purchasing the full version of 9.1
2) back-up your files
3) initialize the hard drive
4) do the full install from the OS 9.1 CD, and when completed
5) install the files from your back-up into your computer

It shouldn't take more than a few hours, depending on how fast you back-up your files.

Eric

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 07:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
[QB]I have a Power Computing Power Centre Pro 180, Epson 720 printer; I would like to add a scanner that my wife can also use with her PC clone...I am running OS 8.0.

I have a PCP 210, and I'm currently running 9.0.4 in it. I don't have a scanner, but my HP 970 Printer is attached via a USB/Firewire PCI Card. I've heard of guys running 9.1 in these machines, so it's possible. But if your present OS is version 8, this is how I'd upgrade to 9.1:

1) purchasing the full version of 9.1
2) back-up your files
3) initialize the hard drive
4) do the full install from the OS 9.1 CD, and when completed
5) install the files from your back-up into your computer

It shouldn't take more than a few hours, depending on how fast you back-up your files.

Eric

BTP
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
<STRONG> I'm pretty sure I can use 9.0 on this clone though Apple don't offer support. Am I wasting my time?

Many thanks

Tony Eastwood</STRONG>
Tony,

No, you are not wasting your time. You can upgrade to 9.1, I have done it for many systems, yours included. I would look at dealmac.com for a deal on OS 9 (do a search).

You can even get a cheap PCI USB card and/or firewire card that will work fine too. That will give you a wider choice of scanners. I suggest looking at dealmac for that as well.

Good luck.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 07:52 AM

Many thanks for the advice given.

As always MacNN comes up trumps.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Eric E.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 05:53 AM

I believe that you can use Photoshop Elements with OS 8.6, which is something that you can look at just in case you can't get a hold of OS 9.1.

Eric

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 07:10 AM

Thanks Eric

I'll bear that in mind. I'm going to try 9 anyway. I can always revert to 8.

Thanks again for your time

regards

Tony Eastwood

Forum Links
Forum Rules