Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Music Software

Music Software
ddregs
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 03:13 PM

Hi all,
just wanted to know if there is any music software "OS X native" out or planned.
I just bought a MIDIMan Midisport MIDI interface to connect my guitar synth, and wanted to know if there are any possibilities to have sequencer software like Cubase or similar out today or in a few months.

Thanks everybody, suggestions are welcome
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

dabrowsa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2001, 03:22 PM

At the moment the only midi sequencer I know of that can drive an external synth is MelodyAssistant. Logic is due out in January, but don't hold your breath, they had also previously promised it for September.
Andrew Dabrowski
[email protected]
Bloomington IN USA

ddregs  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 03:24 PM

Looks like I'll have to keep OS 9 for a long time...

Thanks for your help (And if you get some news don't forget to tell me

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 30, 2001, 03:26 PM

i sure hope so. i wanna hear a NIN album recorded X stylee. think about it. they've all been awesome up to now, recorded using OS 7 - 9.

Reznor + OS X = HOLY F*CK!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 03:28 PM

On the MIDI topic, a newbie pc friend of mine is thinking about getting a mac because he heard it's the platform to get to do music. He had a MIDI keyboard (or something) and asked how he would hook it up to a iBook or whatever mac he gets (he likes the iBook)

So, how does he hook it up? Is there a converter or adapter for MIDI?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

AIOg3guy
Oct 30, 2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>On the MIDI topic, a newbie pc friend of mine is thinking about getting a mac because he heard it's the platform to get to do music. He had a MIDI keyboard (or something) and asked how he would hook it up to a iBook or whatever mac he gets (he likes the iBook)

So, how does he hook it up? Is there a converter or adapter for MIDI?</STRONG>
There are MIDI to USB "boxes". You can find them at any music store with a computer department. However, they probably won't play nice with OS X.

-AIOg3guy
-600mhz iBook DVD 384mb

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 04:54 PM

MIDISport 2x2 uses USB. Works very well under 9.x - I have drivers
for X but no apparent MIDI s/w yet (although someone mentioned melody
assistant? Where can I get that?)

ddregs: cool you're using a guitar synthesizer, I used one for about
7 years until I forced myself to learn keyboards. Love guitar and
synths together. Stay tuned.

-Todd
http://www.ampcast.com/aliensporebomb
if you wanna hear my music.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
<STRONG>i sure hope so. i wanna hear a NIN album recorded X stylee. think about it. they've all been awesome up to now, recorded using OS 7 - 9.

Reznor + OS X = HOLY F*CK! </STRONG>
hehe... i second that! give him a new G5 running os x 10.5 and logic 5 and the next album is gonna be "pretty love machine"
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Sine
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 06:39 PM

I don't think OS X is going to make NIN sound any better guys...heh

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 06:43 PM

Encore is out for Mac OS X now! It's a music-dictation program (think Finale, but with a better interface). Unfortunately, it needs MIDI drivers to work with CoreMIDI services (as will all MIDI apps, I assume). So the support is there for MIDI connectivity; we just have to wait for the MIDI hardware folks to release drivers.

If you want to check out Encore, you can download it for a 10-day trial at
their web site.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Oneota ]
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ddregs  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 06:54 PM

Hiya Todd,
thanks for your support!

I have a great Music Man Steve Morse model equipped with a Roland GK-2A hexaphonic pickup and a Roland GR-30 guitar synthesizer with a MIDI output.

Just bought a MIDISport 1x1 interface, and after downloading those OS X drivers for the interface I wanted to know if it was possible to use it with OS X.
Actually, I just bought a new DP 800, so far it came with OS X 10.0.4 pre-installed, I ordered my X.1 upgrade but I'm still waitin' for it to be delivered (these are hard times for postal shipments...

I'd easily wait 2-3 months for something to come out, my delusion is going to www.steinberg.net and not seeing a single word about OS X.
Same for other software like Finale.
Encore is a welcome addition, I never used it but I could switch using it by early 2002...

Best!

Cipher13
Oct 30, 2001, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Sine:
<STRONG>I don't think OS X is going to make NIN sound any better guys...heh</STRONG>
It's hard to improve on perfection...

Maybe all the bright colours will get to Reznor

Big Red
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2001, 07:33 PM

Well, I don't think we'll see a lot of new stuff happening initially in terms of audio software on OS X. Maybe we'll see better integration of effects and routing to different software, etc. OS X might just make stuff easier to do (goodbye Freemidi and OMS ). Latency might go down with better ASIO support. It's all not that important though. It'll be nice to not have that occaisional hard crash from freeware VST plugs, though.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the info on the boxes guys, so no music/midi on X yet? That's ok I guess, this would be his first mac so I don't think the OS would make that much difference (except maybe prettier, lol)
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 07:53 PM

Micrologic (and I assume full logic) works great in classic, even accessing my MIDIsport interface.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Naplander
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 06:05 AM

Logic Audio Platinum doesn't work in classic.

My Audiowerk card hates X.

It does see my MT4 MIDI interface though.

Still, I am pretty confident that when Emagic release Logic 5, all will be fixed, and needless to say: I can't wait.
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2001, 09:08 AM

emagic's Logic 5 and Logic Control Hardware controller have been touring through Germany for the past few weeks (missed them, unfortunately).
The beta testing program should be starting right around now. Final release is set for Jan. 7th (but used to be October, so...).

I met a guy from Steinberg HQ a couple of weeks ago, and he just laughed when I asked about OS X support for Cubase. They're not even *thinking* about that yet (though they had seen audio latency measurements for OS X and were *very* impressed). They have all hands full working on Nuendo. So I figure Cubase will be next summer at the earliest.

Bias has announced that both Deck and Peak should be available by the end of the year - Peak in November, I believe.

Currently, the only audio (not MIDI) software I know about that works in OS X is Audiocorder ("awkward") and Sound Studio (haven't tried that yet).

-chris.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 10:23 AM

i hope we�ll soon have a driver /kext which makes the audiowerk available for the os in general. i want to be able to listen to iTunes going via audiowerk to my hifi stereo again.

other than that, i�m eagerly waiting for logic 5 .... screw cubase
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 11:24 AM

Back when I was evaluating multitrack software I was using Logic to do
a 44 track project (www.mp3.com/sourceproduct, the track is called "one
with everything" or "todd madson's product").

Amazing and the machine wasn't even sweating and I was using tons of
effects.

But it doesn't work with virtual synths as seamlessly as Cubase. If I
was rich I'd get both. Hell, I'll probably do it anyway.

Apps I use on the 9 side are Deck/Peak/Cubase. Logic is great but it's
more money that I'd like to spend on a bigger hard drive at the moment.

ddregs: I'm over at www.guitaristforum.com and www.harmonycentral.com 's
guitar player forums. Drop on by if you like. Lots of players out there.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<STRONG>But it doesn't work with virtual synths as seamlessly as Cubase. If I
was rich I'd get both. Hell, I'll probably do it anyway.</STRONG>
you�re right... though, according to emagic, version 5 should address the current issues with VSTi.

but you�re right (again ) both cubase and logic are great apps. it�s more or less a matter of taste which you�d prefer.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 03:07 PM

Sorry everyone, -- Totally Off Topic:

Just wanted to say that the Dixie Dregs are fantastic. Your username reminded me of how much I miss those old albums (were stolen years ago) and that I should replace them.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

ddregs  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 08:27 PM

Reply to The Totally Off Topic question:

Dixie Dregs are absolutely fantastic! The best instrumental music I ever heard, changed my life... Thanks for recognizing my nick

Reply to Todd:

Thanks a lot friend, I'll get down to your forums when I can...

Best and thanks to all of you!

Big Red
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with some of the above sentiments: both Cubase and Logic are just amazing pieces of software. I've been using cubase for about 5 years, and I still stand back and think "damn, what a beautiful thing this is" nearly every time I use it.

I haven't used Logic too much. I tried a demo, and I couldn't really get it to do anything, so I deleted it.

The real unfortunate thing that I'm hearing is that all of the plugs also need to be tweaked for OS X. This is really bad. It's going to be way too much work and money for me to switch over anytime in the next year or two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules