Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 nightmare

10.2 nightmare
dosdemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 12:57 AM

I just upgraded to the Jaguar GM. I hate it. It broke apps that I've come to rely on (cee pee you, ASM, Windowshade, etc..), it broke bash (or my bash prefs), and it just generally screwed up OSX for me. The Unsanity menu extras hack that is supposed to correct a few of the problems DOES NOT WORK. Is there a way to "downgrade" to 10.1.5?
( Last edited by dosdemon; Aug 13, 2002 at 01:08 AM. )

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2002, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by dosdemon:
I just upgraded to the Jaguar GM. I hate it. It broke apps that I've come to rely on (cee pee you, ASM, Windowshade, etc..), it broke bash (or my bash prefs), and it just generally screwed up OSX for me. The Unsanity menu extras hack that is supposed to correct a few of the problems DOES NOT WORK. Is there a way to "downgrade" to 10.1.5?
Yes, put in your 10.1 cd reformat your drive and install it.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 01:26 AM

Don't install a pre-release OS first of all. Sure it's the GM but its an unsupported product until 24 August. I'm sure you've heard that before on these forums.

Secondly, I believe that the only way to downgrade is to re-format and install 10.1 over again. Bummer, eh?

Good luck.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2002, 01:33 AM

There is a simple reason why all of those apps broke, they are all hacks. Like them or not, they are not using open APIs provided by Apple, so Apple makes no guarantee that they won't drastically change those APIs. If you wait until the actual release date I'm sure you'll see updates to all of those apps so they work with 10.2.

The reason Apple doesn't publish those APIs is because they want to have full control to change them. Now stop complaining until the software is actually released.

-matt

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 01:36 AM

This seems to be a good time to bring up the number one rule of computer troubleshooting: always back up your data! A reformat+reinstall would be far more trivial if you had taken this basic security measure. Now, you get to enjoy the headaches of hunting down all of your favorite software again so that you can downgrade.

BG

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 11:08 AM

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't just trashing the "System" folder and re-installing do the trick as opposed to reformatting? Of course, that would require a boot into OS 9, but that's better than having to start from scratch.

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 13, 2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by DoctorW:
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't just trashing the "System" folder and re-installing do the trick as opposed to reformatting? Of course, that would require a boot into OS 9, but that's better than having to start from scratch.
Not if your problems are in the UNIXy directories, like /etc, /bin, etc.

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Not if your problems are in the UNIXy directories, like /etc, /bin, etc.
I hadn't thought of that...but, wouldn't trashing those as well help out, basically just getting rid of everything except "Applications" and "Users"?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 13, 2002, 11:47 AM

easy. boot into 9. open Sherlock. custom search for invisible files. delete every trace of X. reinstall X.

you can just drag your home directory and anything else you want to keep, to somewhere else, then move it back later.

i know. i did this the other day, when 10.2 freakin' broke mysql on me. i'm not installing it as my main OS until that's fixed. marc@entropy said he's gonna nail it when 10.2 is actually released, so we shouldn't have to wait too long
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2002, 11:49 AM

Well, OS X isn't OS 9 so it isn't like you can just trash the system folder and start over... there is SO much more going on... Sad, I know... That's why Windows was so bad when the system went down...

Anyway, theis post is PURE flame bate...
(I'm in a bad mood, so take this for what it is)

1) IT IS NOT A SUPPORTED OS... SO DON'T BITCH!!!
2) All of the programs that you listed are hacks to the OS. (Naturally they are going to be broken when they upgrade the system!)
3) Back-up, back-up, back-up...
4) This is still a UNIX, and if you know what bash prefs are, then you should know that you should back them up when you update your OS!!! (Side Note: this is more then a software update!!!)

I'm almost sick from this post... Why don't you wait until the developers of the hacks have a chance to update them...

jaxxe
Aug 13, 2002, 12:00 PM

Definitely flame bait. Anyone got any BBQ sauce?

dosdemon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 07:08 PM

sorry if it came off as flamebait, I wasn't trying to start a flamewar... I had JUST upgraded and I was so annoyed that I went and posted that without bothering to think about it or do any research. I guess I'll just wait it out and hope that these apps will be fixed.

has anyone tried the unsanity menu extras hack and gotten it working? if so, what did you do?

dosdemon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 07:10 PM

and yes, it was my mistake not to back up my bash prefs. It was pretty stupid to complain about that.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 09:10 PM

I'm sure that most 3rd party apps that are broken by Jag will be updated to support it within the next few weeks/months. You know, like they do with every major OS upgrade.

The only thing that may not work are the aforementioned "haxies" due to some of the changes present in Jag. Someone will find an alternate route, though. They always do.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2002, 12:32 AM

hey, don't worry about the flame... I'm sure I would be just as upset if I had a ton of hacks working on my system just the way I wanted and then WHAM... All of the broke with and upgrade...

I would guess that most of them will be updated the day of the release... or a day or two later...

Mojo-ike
Aug 14, 2002, 12:51 AM

at least dosdemon didnt get this lovely error this morning after waking his dual 800 with 10.2 installed:

yes, it was a clean install on a clean drive. nothing special running, other than apples bind/named and sendmail.

the windows goons and the unix people that i showed this too only shook their head and laughed at apples version of the blue screen of death.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 01:23 AM

You called 10.2 a nightmare just because your favorite "haxies" doesn't work?

You know, it's silly to expect every of your software to work flawlessly in Jaguar when they've done major changing to OS X.

In case you didn't know, there are plenty of sites that offer software compatibility list for Jaguar.

Oh BTW, where are you getting Jaguar GM from? I sure hope you already purchased it

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 03:00 AM

...you're kidding, right?

A. Third Party Menus dont' work with 10.2
B. Hacks will almost never work when upgrading an OS, cos their hacks.
C. Keep your pants on, Unsanity will release updates on, most likely, August 24th. You installed a pre-release (even if it is GM) piece of software far before developers would think you have it, so your fault.

I installed the Dev. Release way back when, totally screwed up my computer. My fault, big time. Pre-release software, okay, pre-erelease OS? Eek.

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Oh BTW, where are you getting Jaguar GM from? I sure hope you already purchased it
You can quit being the "purchase police" on every thread where someone says they have 10.2. It's been available from Apple to ADC members and shipping with some new Macs in the past few days. Just 'cause you don't fit into either of those groups doesn't mean the whole world's in that boat with you. So ditch the smug attitude, please.

S

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
You can quit being the "purchase police" on every thread where someone says they have 10.2. It's been available from Apple to ADC members and shipping with some new Macs in the past few days. Just 'cause you don't fit into either of those groups doesn't mean the whole world's in that boat with you. So ditch the smug attitude, please.
Every thread? I gotta love you I'm only aiming to those people who blame Jaguar for no good reason.

OreoCookie
Aug 14, 2002, 04:30 AM

All Unix hacks will have to be reapplied. If you install a new OS, do it on a clean system (at least that's my experience gathered in 14 years).

I know that I will have to reinstall my tcsh thingis, my teTeX tree and all of its extensions, etc. etc.

Backup your stuff and reinstall on a clean drive. Period.

Every �normal' app, such as OmniWeb will work as usual, the hacks won't. They rely heavily on the guts of the system that might have changed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

And for every developer who legitimately receieve Jaguar, I bet there are 5 others on these forums that downloaded it. If you did get 10.2 legitimately as you claim, then why are you taking such offense?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

reversi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2002, 12:41 PM

Mojo-ike:

If you have 2 displays on you 800 MP, unplug the second one and reboot.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:

Don't install a pre-release OS first of all. Sure it's the GM but its an unsupported product until 24 August. I'm sure you've heard that before on these forums.

Secondly, I believe that the only way to downgrade is to re-format and install 10.1 over again. Bummer, eh?

Good luck.
Hi. I just wanted to say it's no longer pre-release. My co-worker just received a new ti-book, with a 10.2 upgrade cd. After installation the build number is 6c115.

Forum Links
Forum Rules