Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iChat won't save prefs

iChat won't save prefs
Marc Nadene
Aug 16, 2002, 07:15 AM

Apparently, iChat revolutionized the way I chat so much that it doesn't even save my preferences. I want it to bounce once when I get a message, but I guess it doesn't want to do that. Even after I set it, it sets itself back to "take no action" mode. Any way to fix this?
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 10:39 AM

I've found that iChat is pretty random with its notifications...sometimes it likes to bounce, sometimes it likes to display the number of incomings in the dock, and sometimes it likes to do neither. Almost all of its features are like that - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Many of them are just plain confusing and unintuitive to begin with. This application is certainly not what I've come to expect from Apple!

S

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 16, 2002, 05:55 PM

This is exactly what I expect from apple. Now using IMs is a big pain in the ass. That said, what the hell is this thing food for anymore? I can't use any browser that isn't slow and displays text correctly. I can't chat on a decent client. They're taking away my damn e-mail address. There aren't hardly any games to play on here. I guess I know what to use for target practice now.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
I've found that iChat is pretty random with its notifications...sometimes it likes to bounce, sometimes it likes to display the number of incomings in the dock, and sometimes it likes to do neither. Almost all of its features are like that - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Many of them are just plain confusing and unintuitive to begin with. This application is certainly not what I've come to expect from Apple!

S
It displays the number for the first message that comes in.

iChat also seems to forget settings for me.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Marc Nadene:
This is exactly what I expect from apple. Now using IMs is a big pain in the ass. That said, what the hell is this thing food for anymore? I can't use any browser that isn't slow and displays text correctly. I can't chat on a decent client. They're taking away my damn e-mail address. There aren't hardly any games to play on here. I guess I know what to use for target practice now.
Tell the person that's holding you at gun point and forcing you to use iChat to get a freakin' life.

There are plenty of alternative IM clients and browsers. The e-mail bit is unfortunate but who really cares...if you want to get back at Apple, use Hotmail. If you bought your Mac hoping to play the latest, greatest game, you made a big mistake. Go ahead, use your Mac as target practice...but learn to research before doing something stupid that you might regret, like buying a Mac to play games.

Dumbass.

Besides...you just pirated 10.2 and probably have no incentives to buy 10.2 so why should Apple give a flying f��k about you and making iChat work for you?

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 06:30 PM

Guy Incognito, you come off as a real knob.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
Yeah, there's a reason why iChat is doing this cuz they're trying to encourage you to use as many as smiley possible

Marc Nadene  (op)
Aug 17, 2002, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

Tell the person that's holding you at gun point and forcing you to use iChat to get a freakin' life.

There are plenty of alternative IM clients and browsers. The e-mail bit is unfortunate but who really cares...if you want to get back at Apple, use Hotmail. If you bought your Mac hoping to play the latest, greatest game, you made a big mistake. Go ahead, use your Mac as target practice...but learn to research before doing something stupid that you might regret, like buying a Mac to play games.

Dumbass.

Besides...you just pirated 10.2 and probably have no incentives to buy 10.2 so why should Apple give a flying f��k about you and making iChat work for you?
Yeah, but none of the alternative clients /browsers actually work. That's pretty lame that I'm forced to go 3rd party because the default client sucks. Also, I'm glad you're pointing out that buying a mac is a bad decision.
Dumbass.
loldehyde:

O
||
L--L

Forum Links
Forum Rules