Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kde problems

Kde problems
MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 10:26 AM

Recently I Iinstalled KDE, and I have no problems if I want to run it in the rootless mode, however if I go to console and I try to start x windows I get this error message:

---------------------------------------
ipc/send invalid destination port: InitCGDisplay: cannopt map display interlocks
KCG error failiure: CGSnewConnection cannot connect to server
xp_init not initialized
xinit no such file or directory

if I try startkde command I get this:
kdeinit aborting $display not set

I think that when I installed X11 I've initially set it to rootless mode. What do I have to change now in order for KDE to work?

suthercd
Senior User
May 16, 2003, 08:04 PM

Help me understand x windows from console?

The xterm window should inherit from the csh.login, cshrd.csh, .tcshrc files the default diaplay info. kde can be started when x11.app is opened by setting this in the ~/.xinitrc file.

I can't tell from your questions what you are wanting to do. Be glad to help if you can describe more.

Craig

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 08:19 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. You know when you login in to console only (>console) I used to be able to start KDE from the command prompt, without Aqua running in the background, by using startx command. Now since I got a different Mac I can't configure KDE to start at all unless I am using it in rootless mode running on top of Aqua. So bacisly I want to be able to run x windows by itself again, and I am not sure what do I need to change or add for it to work again.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2003, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by MrNo:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. You know when you login in to console only (>console) I used to be able to start KDE from the command prompt, without Aqua running in the background, by using startx command. Now since I got a different Mac I can't configure KDE to start at all unless I am using it in rootless mode running on top of Aqua. So bacisly I want to be able to run x windows by itself again, and I am not sure what do I need to change or add for it to work again.
Are you using Apple's X11? if so, you can't run it rooted or from console.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 01:42 AM

Yes I am running X11. I had no idea that you can't run it from console. Do I have to remove X11 now and install xfree86, or can I install it on top of X11?

leffo
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by MrNo:
Yes I am running X11. I had no idea that you can't run it from console. Do I have to remove X11 now and install xfree86, or can I install it on top of X11?
You need to install XDarwin to be able to run full-screen from the console. You can find XDarwin here. The Apple-provided X11 and XDarwin can be installed at the same time. Look here for instructions.

However, be prepared. XDarwin is very slow when running separately from Quartz. There is no hardware-acceleration at all. You'd be better of running XDarwin in full-screen mode upon Quartz. That is nice and smooth. And quite cool, methinks, when you can switch from full-screen X11 to Aqua (and vice versa) in a snap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules