Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Java 1.4.1

Java 1.4.1
MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2003, 08:06 PM

Check your Software Update!

The Java 1.4.1 Update 1 adds the following enhancements:

� Improved Java applet support for Safari and other web browsers that support the Java Internet Plug-In.
� Improved drawing correctness and performance.
� Changes to Java 1.3.1 that provide support for Oracle11i client applications on Mac OS X.
� Improved stability, memory usage, and correctness.

For more details on this update, please visit: http://www.apple.com/java/

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 08:37 PM

Downloaded and installed it about 40 minutes ago, don't feel anything different so far. Gameday Live on MLB.com still doesn't work right.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2003, 09:55 PM

I installed but my Safari "Installed Plug-ins" still state I have 1.3.1 installed everywhere except the "Java Plug-in for Cocoa 1.4.1"....

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 10:23 PM

Installed. Java applets embedded in webpages seem indeed much snappier. Nice.

villa

BKMaggert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2003, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Downloaded and installed it about 40 minutes ago, don't feel anything different so far. Gameday Live on MLB.com still doesn't work right.
Ming
Curious, Gameday Live @ MLB.com worked before AND after the update for me. But ESPN's Gamecast worked before and now crashes Safari when trying to load.
Barry
www.LP.org

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by BKMaggert:
Curious, Gameday Live @ MLB.com worked before AND after the update for me. But ESPN's Gamecast worked before and now crashes Safari when trying to load.
Yea, Safari crashes on me when I try to use Gamecast now too. Gameday Live @ MLB.com still works like crap. This is really pissing me off. Panther better fix this!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2003, 11:17 PM

Online chats still don't work for me, but at least it has a nice new loading icon

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 12:18 AM

All I have to say is it's about fricking time. Apple should have released 1.4 a year ago. As for making sure it installed correctly you can always go into Terminal and type "java -version".

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
All I have to say is it's about fricking time. Apple should have released 1.4 a year ago.

I believe 1.4 came a while ago (with one of the 10.2.x updates), this is 1.4.1
cpac

bborofka
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2003, 12:37 AM

I can't play games on Yahoo now in Safari

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:19 AM

1.4.1 came out last March. This is just an update to the same version.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:22 AM

We need 1.5 ( though I doubt we'll get that anytime soon unless Sun decides to release the 1.5 final for Windows/Linux/Solaris miraculously). Java performance on my Mac (G4/400/1.5GB RAM + Jaguar) isn't to impressive, but the speed is tolerable. I didn't see improvement when I used Panther beta either -- oh well, we can only hope it gets better.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2003, 01:42 AM

Anyone having login problems after this update?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2003, 02:37 AM

I'm having network related problems since upgrading...

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I installed but my Safari "Installed Plug-ins" still state I have 1.3.1 installed everywhere except the "Java Plug-in for Cocoa 1.4.1"....
That's because you do have both 1.3.1 and 1.4.1 installed.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 05:43 AM

Well, the Oracle 11i application for online purchase orders I have to use is seemingly working better after this update, but I had a Kernel Panic for the first time in about a year immediately after logging in after the installation. Anyone else?

ducasi
Sep 9, 2003, 06:49 AM

Hi,

It looks like Apple left some symbolic links (unix-style aliases) pointing to the wrong places in their installation. What I don't know is if this is a problem!

If you want to see them, type this into Terminal:

lsbom /Library/Receipts/Java141Update1.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep BinaryCache

(that's all one line)

In each case it's trying to link a file called "foo" to a file called "foo.jar" in the same directory. (Detailed description of the why, what, how, etc skipped just now...)

I don't know what effect this will have - if any. Perhaps if it does have an effect it will only affect developers.

It's pretty sloppy on Apple's part though.

I haven't tried any java applications since installing this update, so I can't report how much more "snappy" my windows are at resizing.

Cheers, D.

MrNo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 11:03 AM

I was never able to play Yahoo games

Originally posted by eVo:
I can't play games on Yahoo now in Safari

rvassar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 11:24 AM

I installed a Sonnet G4-500 in my beige G3-300 last night. (I'm waiting for the 15" PB update! ) Everything was working great, breathed new life into my old Mac. Imported a couple new CD's into iTunes, and called it a night. Imported one more this morning, and software update ran. So I went for it, figuring it wouldn't hurt anything...

Didn't make it past the initial reboot. Just a grey screen with the Apple logo.

I can't even get the console to come up... Time to go find a ADB keyboard...

Rob

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 11:32 AM

At the end of downloading java 1.4.1 , I got a network problem stating that someone else was using my fixed IP address.

My terra account can't still be opened correctly, and my bank website still has glitches displaying some menu's.

I didn't found it snappier. It seems the same.

Nevertheless, it is slower after the last security update.

regards

rvassar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 12:46 PM

Switched back to my G3 processor. Still no go. There's something fishy with this patch.

A couple possibilities:

1. I have no Classic environment, period. It's a flea market Mac I bought to play with OS X, and suddenly I'm a "switcher". I don't have OS 9 anywhere.

2. It has a 30Gb disk, with a 7.99Gb boot partition, formatted UFS. (Oops! Hey... I'm a Solaris Unix guy! )

Rob

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 01:02 PM

There's a Java 1.4.1 Update 1 from June. This one is one MB larger. What the hay, I installed it anyway.

DaGuy
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 01:21 PM

I installed the update. At least from a non Applet perspective, I have no issues. This update, indeed uses memory and CPU more effeciently. I downloaded a beta of Tomcat 5 and it performs really well on my modest iMac 17" 800MHZ, 768 RAM. I'm actually rather impressed.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Online chats still don't work for me, but at least it has a nice new loading icon
Same problem here...works great in IE, seems Sun and Apple are not on the same page even though bug reports about Java chat in Safari have been well known...they better fix it before Panteher comes out or new Switchers are gonna be pissed.

Just been to http://www.tvguide.com/ and went to check my local listings, they are all messed up in Safari and work fine in IE, Safari may be faster but IE is more compatible.
( Last edited by stevesnj; Sep 9, 2003 at 06:34 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2003, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I never could play Yahoo games with Safari, and still can't after this update. Explorer for the Yahoo games still seems best.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Anyone having login problems after this update?
Quite.

To say the least.

The update totally FUBARed my Cube. The install ran fine, but my machine beachballed when I hit the restart button-- the one associated with the update, in the sheet. Had to force shut down. Upon reboot, I got to the end of the "welcome" progress bar (loading Apache,etc) then blue screen. I had a mouse, and every 30 seconds or so, there'd be a crunch, crunch from the hard drive, like it was trying to do something, then the screen would flash different shades of blue a couple times, then go back to blue.

Re-booted from Firewire backup drive (Just updted last week-- whew!), and the internal OS X partition looked fine, so I copied the couple files I'd updated since the backup, and ran DiskWarrior, which found an incorrect item count in /Private. Rebuilt the directory, and restarted. No good. Blue screen again.

Back to the Firewire drive. First, i replaced the loginwindow.plist on the internal drive with the one from the external. No go. I tried deleting the loginwindow.plist and windowserver.plist to no avail.

At this point, I was out of tricks.

Had to wipe internal OS X partition and CCC the Firewire install back to it.

This is the first time I've had an Apple update go bad on me since purchasing OS 10.1 back in Oct 2001.

No data lost, since I'm an organized kinda guy, but my evening was kaput.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2003, 05:42 AM

As usual everything worked just fine on my iBook. I don't notice any difference - yet. No crashes. Java apps are still rather slow on a 600 MHz G3. Business as usual.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
This is the first time I've had an Apple update go bad on me since purchasing OS 10.1 back in Oct 2001
I doubt it was the update. Sounds more like disk corruption.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
I doubt it was the update. Sounds more like disk corruption.
Well then, let's say it's the first time I've ever suffered disk corruption that DiskWarrior couldn't fix.

I'm thinking that the corruption was a result of something going awry with the installation, not neccessarily related to the contents of the update. I'm *this* far from replacing my 60 GB IBM Deathstar, anyway, and the crash might have provided me with the impetus.

More than anything,it points up the neccesity of good backups, and not charging willy-nilly into updates that aren't of obvious benefit without at least weighing the potential adverse problems and whether you've got time to fix them, should they occur.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Cipher13
Sep 10, 2003, 08:58 AM

I avoid Java like the plague, so I won't really notice a difference; however, I've had no problems like logging in or anything, as others have mentioned... things seem fine here (iBook). I haven't installed it on the other machines yet.

I always use Firebird for Java anyway; SO much faster than Safari. It's incredible.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2003, 09:42 AM

It seems fine to me. The fixed a few GUI drawing performance bugs, which is good (makes Robocode run faster -- haven't tried anything else).

My tomcat server seems not to mind the new release though one way or the other.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I always use Firebird for Java anyway; SO much faster than Safari. It's incredible.
Firebird is using the Java 1.3.1 plug-in and Safari uses 1.4.1 when possible.

Java 1.3.1 was much faster than 1.4.1 in some situations.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 10:38 PM

Is this update showing up for anyone on newly-installed 10.2.x machines? My 15" Aluminum PowerBook doesn't show the update after restoring to 10.2 from the Software Restore disc, and Java 1.4.1 is nowhere to be found.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 08:41 AM

someone in Ars mentioned that java 1.4, and 1.4.1 updates have been pulled form the Apple servers. Read a notice on ADC saying that it would be back up soon once the problems had been fixed. This is what happened to me when I did a fresh install of 10.2.8 last week, software update didn';t show any updates for java, and the system was left at 1.3.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules