Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 60GB HD dying, best way to contact Apple for a replacement

60GB HD dying, best way to contact Apple for a replacement
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 05:59 PM

Hi folks, I'm from the western suffolk area of Long Island. Lately, my hard drive has been acting up. I have a G4/867MP MDD system.

Although the disk utilities repair disk function reports no errors, I constantly get errors with the permissions repairs. It seems like half the disk is showing up as having invalid permissions. Letting it complete its cycle and attempting it again doesn't fix the problem/ .pkg files show up as folders. I erased the hard drive on April 24th and I'm still experiencing problems with it. What's the best way to contact Apple? Is it possible to have a box sent to me for the purpose of mailing the drive itself out?

The nearest Apple authorized reseller didn't seem particularly friendly last time I went there (and the guy there is always smoking a pipe!) and the Apple Store in Huntington hasn't opened yet.

That leaves me with a 50 minute drive each way to Garden City and carrying a 40+ pound computer across a large parking lot, up the escalator and to the store. What would you folks advise me to do? My system is still covered under Apple's limited 1 year warranty.

I plan to sell the unit for a powerbook g4, so just buying another drivemight be the least hassle solution. Any advice would be appreciated.

Repairing disk "G4 Ultra".
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume G4 Ultra appears to be OK.
Repair completed.

2003-04-29 17:22:13 -0400 - Repair of privileges has started
User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist, should be 0, owner is 501
Group differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist, should be 80, group is 99
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist
User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, should be 0, owner is 501
Group differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, should be 80, group is 99
Permissions differ on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility, should be -rwsrwxr-x , they are -rwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk Utility
User differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501
Group differs on ./Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app/Contents/MacOS, should be 80, group is 99...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:11 PM

I had the exact same problem with my dual 867. I called the Apple Store in my area directly (option 5 to get a real person, I think) and made sure there was a good time for me to come in and have it swapped out while I waited. Plus, that gave them time to make sure they had one in stock. I took it to the store, they helped me carry it in, and it was all done in about 50 minutes. Not too bad. I'd say that's your best bet.

RealMac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I had the exact same problem with my dual 867. I called the Apple Store in my area directly (option 5 to get a real person, I think) and made sure there was a good time for me to come in and have it swapped out while I waited. Plus, that gave them time to make sure they had one in stock. I took it to the store, they helped me carry it in, and it was all done in about 50 minutes. Not too bad. I'd say that's your best bet.
That's some great advice. I'll call them between now and final exam week..
www.therealmac.net

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 11:44 PM

lol yeah unfortunately apple doesn't do mail-in part swaps..

sometimes you can beg for on site service tho lol
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

robot prom
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
lol yeah unfortunately apple doesn't do mail-in part swaps..
unless you have applecare. I have to swap out stuff from ours labs all the time.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 1, 2003, 02:42 AM

>lol yeah unfortunately apple doesn't do mail-in part swaps..

Sure they do, for some parts. Definitely for hard drives.

>sometimes you can beg for on site service tho lol

Hehe yeah, I've done that, too. It took me 3 hours on the phone, but by golly, Apple sent someone to fix my Mac, and gave me Mac OS 9 (back when it had just come out) for free for my troubles.

tooki

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 04:12 AM

no fair! I have applecare!

THEM LIARS!!!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

RealMac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 12:04 PM

I called the Apple Store at the Roosevelt Field Mall. Guy I spoke with stated I would have to bring the machine and have them look at it. Then said something about might have to have them hold it.

Anyway, I wasn't too happy with that, so I went to comp-usa and purchased a 120GB Western Digital SE drive with 8MB cache. That wasn't working either so I think to myself. Maybe the cable is bad. I swap the cable with the one that came with the HD and everything is working fine now.

The other hard drive isn't giving me errors anymore either. Go figure..
www.therealmac.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules