Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.6 System won't boot from install CD after upgrade

10.3.6 System won't boot from install CD after upgrade
alex720l
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 10:52 AM

Titanium powerbook 400.
After upgrading to 10.3.6 system won't boot from Panther install CD. While holding down the "c" key, the machine spits out the install disc.
My system froze during a download. After rebooting, instead of repairing permissions I installed the update. When I tried to repair permissions, it spit out the disc. Anyone else have the same problem and/or know a fix???

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

Why not repair permissions using the Disk Utility in the Utility folder in your Applications folder? I believe these repairs are more up to date than those on the disk.
Who are the Brain Police?

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
Why not repair permissions using the Disk Utility in the Utility folder in your Applications folder? I believe these repairs are more up to date than those on the disk.
I am almost 100% sure that in order to repair permissions on your startup disc, you MUST boot off the install CD.
If I am wrong, somebody please enlighten me..........

Finny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

enlightened. You don't need to boot off a CD to repair permissions to you startup disk.

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Finny:
enlightened. You don't need to boot off a CD to repair permissions to you startup disk.
I'm a dick. You mean to tell me that I've been using old permissions to repair my disc all this time?? Whenever I repaired permissions, I booted from the install disc. I mixed up repairing permissions with repairing the disc. Thanks for the enlightenment!!!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:20 PM

Still, since you sometimes have to reinstall due to a flawed upgrade (something that happened to a lot of us with the 10.3.6 upgrade) trying to figure out what is wrong with your disk ought to be a priority. I'd check it for scratches. I'll lay pretty good odds that the DVD drive can't read the disk.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:36 PM

Do this...

Download the full 10.3.6 package (not just the delta). repair permissions before you install, then do the install, and repair permissions after... no problems.. guaranteed.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

alex720l  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Still, since you sometimes have to reinstall due to a flawed upgrade (something that happened to a lot of us with the 10.3.6 upgrade) trying to figure out what is wrong with your disk ought to be a priority. I'd check it for scratches. I'll lay pretty good odds that the DVD drive can't read the disk.
Well things seem to be working now after repairing permissions the right way. I can now boot off the Panther install disc. I may have an issue with my drive. There was a slight grinding sound right before it spit the disc out. Hope I'm wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules