Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD

External HD
dosequis
Apr 26, 2005, 08:51 PM

I have a 60 GB maxtor external HD that I connect to the ibook through a firewire and when the computer goes to sleep and then wakes back up it is not there. I have to unplug the HD from the comp and then also unplug the HD and then plug it back in in order to get the comp. to recognize it. Sometimes it takes several tries. Any info on the issue would be great. Thanks-

Fredo
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 04:00 PM

FireWire external drives are, unlike USB, very sensitive to how they are terminated from your computer. The device icon must be hi lighted, and dragged to the trash, (or menu-file-eject), before it is turned off or unplugged.
My suggestion for trouble free use of your external is to keep it powered off and disconnected from your Mac until you need it. At that time: power up device and wait a few seconds. Connect device to Mac. The device icon will show up on your desktop, through which you can access the drive. When through using HD, hi light icon and terminate device. Power off, and unplug HD from your Mac.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules