Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Rage Orion and OS 9

Rage Orion and OS 9
Vision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 10:47 AM

I have a PowerMac 8500 with an ATI Rage Orion card. After installing OS 9 (with OpenGL 1.1.1), I discovered that all my programs that utilize OpenGL (Quake 2/3 and my own personal programs) did not work. They would load, but the graphics were random lines. Apparently, in order to use OpenGL in OS 9, you need the updated ATI drivers that come with OS 9. If you have a G3/iMac/etc., the installer will update you extensions automatically. However, if you have a ATI-brand board, the installer will not. In order to get OpenGL to work, I had to use TomeViewer and extract the ATI extensions manually. After that, everything worked great (a little faster, I might add).

-David Benesch-

macgarrity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 1999, 11:19 AM

I have a 7500 with a Rage Orion card and want to update to OS9. Has ATI put those extension on it's site or is there another way to get them??

Vision  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 01:30 AM

No... ATI has only released ATI Universal Installer 4.0.1, which does not include the latest extensions that come with OS 9.0. I suspect that they will release a new installer soon (even newer drivers that OS 9), especially with the upcoming release of the VR 128. Throughout the OS 9 testing period, the ATI extensions were constantly being revised. Even during final candidate testing, the ATI version numbers continued to climb from fc to fc. In the meantime of an official ATI update, use TomeViewer to get the ATI extensions out of OS 9 (open up the Tome "Mac OS 9.0:Software Installers:System SoftwareLMac OS 9:Installation Tome" and extract all components that begin with ATI).

mkbhatia
Administrator
Oct 21, 1999, 09:25 AM

I linked to the TomeViewer on the Mac OS 9 special report
http://www.macnn.com/reports/os9.shtml#Incompatible

(under ATI)

Forum Links
Forum Rules