Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > More reasons to hate the south?

More reasons to hate the south?
centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 07:11 PM

Check out this cool mapping website that overlays our country with colors relating to all sorts of data.

http://www.socialexplorer.com

Basically, this only confirms what I've thought all along: Less income, less education, bigger families, more poverty, more unemployment.

If only this puppy could overlay the number of christians/churches per mile..... man... that'd be telling.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 07:34 PM

Not sure what your point is.

Big families are bad? We have much larger houses for much less money. Our cities have lots of trees.

We also have some of the best universities in the world. Oh yeah ... and the CDC.

We occasionally are even kind to one another. Go figure. That said: There aren't nearly as many catholic churches as there are in the north, so since moving down here I have to drive much further on Sunday. Oh well.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 07:51 PM

You sure? When I was driving through the crappiest parts of the south it seemed like there was a church every few blocks.

*edit oh you specified which kind of make believe. Nevermind.

And as for everything else you said.... meh.... bigger families can be bad, especially if the parents are jimbob and susie joe who are both unemployed, and keep popping out more retarded kids. And you have larger houses for less money? Uh.... so? I could get a 1980 Lincoln for less money than either of our accords. Is bigger somehow better? I don't see it. Our cities also have lots of trees here in the north. And we have some of the best universities in the world, also.

Not saying all of the south sucks, certainly there must be some good parts, but looking at that map, you sure can see why it gets it's reputation. It's plain as day.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

"poor" does not equal "retarded"

"less educated" does not equal "stupid"
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
And you have larger houses for less money? Uh.... so? I could get a 1980 Lincoln for less money than either of our accords. Is bigger somehow better? I don't see it. Our cities also have lots of trees here in the north. .
I thought you couldn't get any more ignorant than your first post in this thread, yet you keep topping yourself.
grats.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2007, 09:08 PM

*edit oh you specified which kind of make believe. Nevermind.

And as for everything else you said.... meh.... bigger families can be bad, especially if the parents are jimbob and susie joe who are both unemployed, and keep popping out more retarded kids. And you have larger houses for less money? Uh.... so? I could get a 1980 Lincoln for less money than either of our accords. Is bigger somehow better? I don't see it. Our cities also have lots of trees here in the north. And we have some of the best universities in the world, also.

Not saying all of the south sucks, certainly there must be some good parts, but looking at that map, you sure can see why it gets it's reputation. It's plain as day.
You are an ass sometimes. Some great people in the world have come from the South.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Mar 9, 2007 at 09:17 PM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Mar 9, 2007, 09:15 PM

I like living in the south. Less assholes like yourself.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

I don't associate lack of wealth or larger families with reasons to hate people, but thank you for the cool link. I thought there would have been greater income concentration in New York than there actually is.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 09:41 PM

You sure? When I was driving through the crappiest parts of the south it seemed like there was a church every few blocks.
Churches aren't bad. You should go to one on Sunday.

marden
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 10:46 PM

I'm from the North and I don't hate the South at all. I hate those who hate the South.

In fact, now that I think about it, someone who hates the South and hates the American auto industry and hates religion and hates their own police department has to be a pretty narrow minded, hateful and pitiful person.
( Last edited by marden; Mar 9, 2007 at 10:52 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Mar 9, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
I'm from the North and I don't hate the South at all. I hate those who hate the South.
Awww, c'mon. I know you don't hate anyone.

Railroader <- From the north, been to the south, didn't notice too many difference other than "boiled peanuts" and grits. Don't be hatin' nobody.

marden
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

Railroader <- From the north, been to the south, didn't notice too many difference other than "boiled peanuts" and grits. Don't be hatin' nobody.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2007, 11:02 PM

I'm from Canada.

marden
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm from Canada.

Er, uh, and you don't hate the Pepsi's?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 11:18 PM

sad

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

In fact, now that I think about it, someone who hates the South and hates the American auto industry and hates religion and hates their own police department has to be a pretty narrow minded, hateful and pitiful person.
So you're saying you support the Milwaukee Police Department and it's actions? And I don't hate the American auto industry, I hate GM. I rather like ford's european models, and the contour SVT, and a few other models. Dodge....oh man, I used to love dodge, but lately they've really been dropping the ball. And sorry, hating religion is a good thing. I'm not going to get into it, because anybody who doesn't hate religion is already brainwashed and mentioning that ONLY RELIGION can be responsible for things like the crusades, the middle east, and millions and millions of deaths fought by people who believed 'their' god was right will not change brainwashed zombies into rational people.

But yep. Religion haters= pitiful people. Especially that Thomas Jefferson fellow.

"And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."
- Thomas Jefferson

marden
Baninated
Mar 9, 2007, 11:40 PM

So you're saying you support the Milwaukee Police Department and it's actions? And I don't hate the American auto industry, I hate GM. I rather like ford's european models, and the contour SVT, and a few other models. Dodge....oh man, I used to love dodge, but lately they've really been dropping the ball. And sorry, hating religion is a good thing. I'm not going to get into it, because anybody who doesn't hate religion is already brainwashed and mentioning that ONLY RELIGION can be responsible for things like the crusades, the middle east, and millions and millions of deaths fought by people who believed 'their' god was right will not change brainwashed zombies into rational people.

But yep. Religion haters= pitiful people. Especially that Thomas Jefferson fellow.

"And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."
- Thomas Jefferson
If you ever develop an ability to see beyond the here and now, call me.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 12:04 AM

I don't get it, so you hate the south but you also hate the north? Milwaukee, Wisconsin is in the north.

I am not brainwashed with religion, I think you are.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 12:10 AM

I don't hate Milwaukee. The police department is corrupt and racist though, and that's just accepted fact. It's reported in the news, some of their 'shenanigans' even make national news. They're freaking crazy.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 12:11 AM

I've found some of the saddest people I know are those who think that they're better than others who they understand to be less intelligent, and worse off than they are. I may not be a huge fan of the American South, but I have met some great people from there. And if you want you can go fly over to Russia, not a whole lot of Churches over there, yet go figure not a crazy amount of wealth... hmmm... how bout China? Yah, you and your anti-religious bigotry sure have some great examples to look at when you try and convince people not to believe in anything.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 12:14 AM

Uh, that's different, not that I expect you to understand the difference between communism and a capitalistic society. Your comparisons make no sense, but that's kinda to be expected, given your other views on things.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 12:15 AM

You hate people for being poor?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Mar 10, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

I was talking about how I wished restaurants would serve grits out here in California earlier today. Man, I love me sum grits.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm from Canada.
I'm sorry.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 12:18 AM

Do you live in Milwaukee? Because why complain about Milwaukee, if there are other towns in the US. Why not complain about Philly?

marden
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
Do you live in Milwaukee? Because why complain about Milwaukee, if there are other towns in the US. Why not complain about Philly?
He fought the Milwaukee Law and the Law won!

He's been bitter ever since.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 12:44 AM

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2007, 12:53 AM

Bigotry is alive and well I see. centerchannel68, grow up.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 01:26 AM

I was asking for help with something on another board about PC/Mac/Boot Camp, and he/she said to go back to your PC and we don't want you here. Mac all the way!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 01:44 AM

Basically, this only confirms what I've thought all along: Less income, less education, bigger families, more poverty, more unemployment.
Run the overlays for ethnic breakup as well and what you'll find is that the South is 20 to 50% comprised of African Americans and (increasingly) Hispanic immigrants .... the two poorest and most disenfranchised groups in the country that categorically display all the markers of poverty (pay, education, family size, obesity ... you name it) to a much higher degree the European Americans. The areas that look better statistically are largely lilly-white (90 - 98%). So are your observations really based on cultural differences or are you just highlighting the fact that the South is overwhelming "dark skinned" compared to most of the rest of the country ?

Example: Wisconsin vs. South Carolina (<-- note, NOT one of the more progressive southern states -- VA, NC, northern GA).

Wisconsin: 91% White, 6% Black
S.Carolina: 69% White, 31% Black

Wisconsin: Median income in 2005 ~$46k
South Carolina: Median income in 2005 ~$41k

Pct Income of African Americans to White americans nationally : 65% as much (2005). So, the fact that people in SC make 88% that of people in Wisconsin is mathematically predictable and explainable by the racial mix of the states alone.

Wisconsin: Percent with Bachelor's degree or higher 22.4%
South Carolina: Percent with Bachelor's degree or higher 20.4%
SC has a per capita rate of Bachelor's degrees that is 91% as great as Wisconsin.

So, given that African Americans have Bachelor's degrees at a 17.6% rate nationally vs. a 30.6% rate for white Americans (57% as much) the 91% rate at which South Carolinians have Bachelor's degrees is also completely predictable based on the racial makeup of the two states. (.69 x 30.6) + (.31 x 17.6) = 26.57. (.91 x 30.6) + (.06 x 17.6) =28.9. 26.57 / 28.9 = .92

What you'll find that even for an "old South" state like SC (which tracks behind a LOT of other southern states), almost any statistic you choose (average family size, education, income, poverty, etc) will closely match the map below:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 02:00 AM

A few reasons I love living in the South...

1. Family's are still strong here
2. GREAT food (especially here in Louisiana)
3. Southern hospitality is alive and well
4. You don't get sneered at for being religious
5. The slower-paced lifestyle
6. Southern football is unbelievable (SEC football is on a different level)
7. There are open fields and forests everywhere, even in my area (population of 300,000)
8. Fantastic food (it would make sense to repeat this one 50 more times)
9. Southern women are much more attractive (I swear this is true)
10. The music scene here is thriving

I could go on for days, but I have to defend the South. I love it here. The only thing I dislike is the humidity and how bad it is on my allergies.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 02:06 AM

southern accents

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 02:09 AM

Better than Fargo-esque accents by far.

When I was single and talking to girls from the West Coast, the drawl alone made me plenty of new friends, and mine isn't even that heavy.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 02:12 AM

Kentucky accents are another story

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 02:14 AM

Okay, I'll agree with that. Cajun accents are also on my "not so much" list.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 02:16 AM

Yeah.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 10, 2007, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
A few reasons I love living in the South...
I'll contrast this with my experiences here in the great northern state of Michigan. Mid-Michigan to be a little less vague.
1. Family's are still strong here
Here too. Tie
2. GREAT food (especially here in Louisiana)
Not so good here. Unless you like imported produce 90% of the year. Point: South
3. Southern hospitality is alive and well
It's quite well here as well. And highly under-reported.Tie
4. You don't get sneered at for being religious
Here either. There's a Church every couple blocks and nearly every sect/denomination is represented.Tie
5. The slower-paced lifestyle
In the winter we freeze to a crawl.Point: South
6. Southern football is unbelievable (SEC football is on a different level)
You should see the basketball courts around here. And we have these things called hockey rinks that pop up in everytown the week after Thanksgiving. Tie
7. There are open fields and forests everywhere, even in my area (population of 300,000)
I could walk 5 minutes and not be able to see a house. Tie
8. Fantastic food (it would make sense to repeat this one 50 more times)
You win this one!!! [/repeat 50 times!]Point: South
9. Southern women are much more attractive (I swear this is true)
Point conceded. Women around here wear a LOT of clothes this time of year. Point: South
10. The music scene here is thriving
Same here. You can go to anyother bar in any major city and hear live music. And the Churches are starting to get in on the act a lot more since the Christian radio market has exploded up here. Tie
I could go on for days, but I have to defend the South. I love it here. The only thing I dislike is the humidity and how bad it is on my allergies.
Same here. I appreciate your love of the South. I also love the snow and the cold up here.

But the South does have the food and the women.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You hate people for being poor?
No, I hate people for abandoning personal responsibility and believing 'god' will help them instead of they will help themselves, thus remaining ignorant, unskilled, and poor their entire lives without doing anything about it, because they're relying on god to save them from their own poor choices.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 04:37 AM

just give it up el roberto. we all know what you hate and don't hate by now. i highly suggest you shut up now boy.

-a

oooooooo. DRAMA!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:37 AM

He fought the Milwaukee Law and the Law won!

He's been bitter ever since.
Only because I'm white.

Why would I be bitter if I'm white? I'm upset with them because they're disgusting.

Check this out:

http://milwaukee.indymedia.org/en/2005/07/203873.shtml

The police officer chased a guy on a bike, and threw over his BABY CARRIER to stop him. WITH THE BABY INSIDE.

Wow.

I'm proud.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
I was asking for help with something on another board about PC/Mac/Boot Camp, and he/she said to go back to your PC and we don't want you here. Mac all the way!
You said you were thinking about getting a mac, and then someone told you windows was not included, and you then responded saying you'd get a PC since you have a game you play a lot that's only available for the PC.

I told you that you made a good decision, becuase it would be stupid to get a mac if one game is the deciding factor between the two, because you obviously don't grasp any of the advantages of owning a mac. What does this have to do with anything? Oh. Nothing. Now go run along and get a blue screen of death.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 04:41 AM

it's sad really who you have become. you really need someone that you can trust for guidance besides whatever god you believe in/your wife

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
Run the overlays for ethnic breakup
Wow. You are a racist. I wasn't talking about race at all. I was talking about things that people choose, like education, poverty, unemployment, etc....things that can change. You are the one who associated 'ignorant, poor, uneducated, etc" with 'being black or mexican'.....so...wow dude. I'm out of this conversation. It can't end well at all since you brought in your bigotry into this.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 04:44 AM

Who I have become? What are you talking about? I've always disliked the south in comparison to the north. Think of why Nascar is popular. Duh. It's the south. Same goes for most of the crappy things in the USA. Football towns. Nascar. Bush. etc.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 04:44 AM

the devil will surely shove a pineapple up your ass when you go to hell el roberto

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 05:08 AM

thats right. i said it. a huge ****in pineapple right up your skinny dimwitted ass delivered by the devil rodney dangerfield himself! HAH!

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 07:06 AM

No, I hate people for abandoning personal responsibility and believing 'god' will help them instead of they will help themselves, thus remaining ignorant, unskilled, and poor their entire lives without doing anything about it, because they're relying on god to save them from their own poor choices.
So basically you hate people because they have the sense not to obsess over material wealth? Maybe if they spent more money on cross-drilled brakes and stainless exhausts for their ugly ass cars they'd be worthy of more respect…

You should have just stopped at:

No, I hate
That sums you up beautifully.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 07:54 AM

I lived in the south for 5 years now and I love it. I don't see how there's more unemployed people in the south than in the north. Are you sure you aren't seeing what your brains suggests is true?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 10, 2007, 08:37 AM

Some generalizations I have made as a life-long Northerner who deals with people from the mid-South daily:

- Less tolerance for people who fit outside their mold
- Always are polite and nice to your face and then stab you in the back with a seething vengeance
- Have an almost slave/master relationship with their employers

This is by and large the type of things I notice as a whole when traveling down there. I do notice pockets of this up here, though - but, these people have never been to the South. So, what are the common denominators? Religion? Country music? NASCAR?

I've had a good relationship with a fellow colleague down there so we could banter back and forth quite easily without worrying about hurting the other and we've discussed "what makes us different" on many occassions. When asked what Southerners think of Northerners, her reply is that they all think that we are, "Godless, selfish and stuck-up".

Fair enough.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 10:15 AM

Wow. You are a racist. I wasn't talking about race at all. I was talking about things that people choose, like education, poverty, unemployment, etc....things that can change. You are the one who associated 'ignorant, poor, uneducated, etc" with 'being black or mexican'.....so...wow dude. I'm out of this conversation. It can't end well at all since you brought in your bigotry into this.
I'm not being a racist and I'm not trying to imply that you are either. Its crystal clear that the statistical deficiencies that people like to point out about the south as a region are largely equivalent to pointing out that the south is comprised a lot fewer priveleged caucasian americans and lot more African americans (who fare poorly on the statistics no matter where in the US they live). My map of racial breakdown pretty much looks just like all the statistical maps you are citing.
Not sure where you get the notion that people choose "education, poverty" etc since most people don't even begin to have control of that until they are 18 and realistically don't have means to "catch up" until much later in life .... if you enter the world at 18 from poverty with a poor educational background, it can take years of hard work and "catching up" in schooling and income just to get to square one that people from middle class backgrounds with good schools waltz into straight out of high school.

I'll whip out my own regional bias here and point out that, by almost every statistic, the midwest is by far the "easiest" place in the US to live ... the price of homes is laughably low and almost anyone who has a pulse and can punch a clock on a regular basis can afford one. On the east and west coasts ... and even in the south ... the cost of homes is higher in absolute terms and ridiculously higher relative to average incomes in those regions. http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/18/real...ndex/index.htm The wet dream that someone can just go out and get a job and "make it" and pull themselves out of poverty, afford an education, buy a home is completely unrealistic in almost every part of this country except for the soft white-bread center ... almost everywhere else, life is actually a struggle.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 10:17 AM

The South is an attitude more than anything else. It's the attitude that life is about enjoyment, not about working your ass off for money or power.

If you're obsessed with your own self importance, you won't understand it. That's fine. We don't really care if you understand. We're happy and you're angry. Who is better off?

Forum Links
Forum Rules