Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder froze completely

Finder froze completely
t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 12:33 PM

Well, Apple isn't impressing me much with 10.2.1. I've had nothing but crashes and errors ever since I did a clean install of it. The other day the Finder froze completely. I couldn't access the desktop/Finder, just got a spinning cursor. I couldn't Force Quit anything cause that wasn't working either. Trying to get the Sleep/Restart/Shut Down dialog to pop up didn't work either. About 30 seconds later the entire system locked up. Dock was frozen, keyboard/mouse were dead, restart button on the tower itself didn't work. I ended up pulling the power cable to get it to restart.

Add on top of that Toast 5.2 crashing when it tries to find the internal CDRW, Mail crashing before it even opens any windows, SystemUIServer crashing every couple of minutes. All this from a clean install. Jaguar blows.
:)

ntsc
Senior User
Nov 1, 2002, 12:46 PM

yeah why not try a little trouble shooting first. Coming here proclaiming that "Jaguar blows" isn't really helping you. As far as we're concerned Jaguar works really well. Most of us very satisfied with Jaguar and OS X in general, our installs work fine. If you want help how about thinking that it might be something you've done? Hacks, dodgy system utilities, messing with the UNIX layer extensively and generally anything you've done which is unusual or not supported may have upset the system.

My point is that if you want to be taken seriously and not come across as a whiner, then try and be a wee but more reasonable? Right? Cool!
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

t6hawk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 01:14 PM

I have been troubleshooting for a few weeks. I have no modifications done to 10.2.1 at all. No themes, no utilities, no messing with UNIX, no messing with the system, just a straight clean install.

I'm not whining, I'm getting bloody frustrated with it. My TiBook is running 10.1.5 and I've had no problems at all. From the day I installed Jaguar on my tower it's been acting up. My tower still takes an unusally long time to Sleep, 30 seconds plus as compared to the 1 second it took under 10.1.5. iTunes is the only program I heavily use on the tower next to BBEdit and Mozilla.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by t6hawk:
I have been troubleshooting for a few weeks. I have no modifications done to 10.2.1 at all. No themes, no utilities, no messing with UNIX, no messing with the system, just a straight clean install.

I'm not whining, I'm getting bloody frustrated with it. My TiBook is running 10.1.5 and I've had no problems at all. From the day I installed Jaguar on my tower it's been acting up. My tower still takes an unusally long time to Sleep, 30 seconds plus as compared to the 1 second it took under 10.1.5. iTunes is the only program I heavily use on the tower next to BBEdit and Mozilla.
Sounds like it is a RAM or hardware issue to me. Have you tried pulling RAM out to see if that helps the stability?

t6hawk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by JKT:

Sounds like it is a RAM or hardware issue to me. Have you tried pulling RAM out to see if that helps the stability?
Yes. The RAM didn't make much difference. Pulled all but the original, still crashed. Replaced the original with my second chip. Same result. I even started up off the other HD running 10.1.5 and it worked fine. No crashes at all. I still think it is a software issue.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 02:58 PM

Yes. The RAM didn't make much difference. Pulled all but the original, still crashed. Replaced the original with my second chip. Same result. I even started up off the other HD running 10.1.5 and it worked fine. No crashes at all. I still think it is a software issue.
Random crashing like that just doesn't occur in OS X with a good install. If it is software, then it is possible that you got a bad installer disk (MacFixIt had reports of a certain batch being problematical a month or so ago).

If it isn't the disk, then what is your hardware set up? Do you have any peripherals, especially anything SCSI?

t6hawk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by JKT:

Random crashing like that just doesn't occur in OS X with a good install. If it is software, then it is possible that you got a bad installer disk (MacFixIt had reports of a certain batch being problematical a month or so ago).

If it isn't the disk, then what is your hardware set up? Do you have any peripherals, especially anything SCSI?
Setup:
G4 466, 896MB, 30GB+60GB
- Lexmark Z33
- Kensington Elite mouse (5 button)
- SCSI Scanner (not connected)
- SCSI HD External (not connected)

I guess that it is possible that I got one of the bad CDs but when my bro used the same CD to install on his tower as a test, he has no problems at all. (G4 450 DP, 896MB)

pmcd
Senior User
Nov 2, 2002, 06:32 AM

I too find 10.2 not as stable as 10.1.5 which was roc solid. I have had the Finder freeze up, machines refusing to wake the monitor, etc...in 10.2 . The situation isn't as bad as you are experiencing though.Are you auto-launching programs at login (like iTunes helper)? Have you looked at the system logs?

philip

DPUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2002, 09:21 AM

I've had to re-format and install 10.2 -> 10.2.1 three times in the past two weeks. Apple's last suggestion was to remove any third party RAM.
The machine functioned perfectly until the 10.2.1 install. The freezes I've experienced seemed to happen with large file transfers or downloads via Airport.
I see very ugly kernel panics. Many screens of backtrace(?) data. Fsck fixes an error and then reports that the disk appears OK.
I'm hopeful that 10.2.2 regains the previous OS X stability.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 09:48 AM

Have you installed the latest firmware updates? If not, 10.2 seems to be more reliant on them being up to date then 10.1.5

schwachs
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2002, 12:13 PM

I too am having some crashing / freezing issues w/ 10.2.1 and a relatively clean system as well. Is there a way to check my g4 dual 8's firmware to see if I have the latest one and also, where would I get later updates?

Thanks!

Originally posted by SMacTech:
Have you installed the latest firmware updates? If not, 10.2 seems to be more reliant on them being up to date then 10.1.5

udecker
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2002, 08:39 PM

I too am having freezing problems in 10.2.1. I first noticed them when using VirtualPC, when the whole machine (dock/force quit included) would just freeze up and sit there, while I could still move the mouse.

I then began to notice that it happens more and more frequently, usually at times with a high processor load.

Maybe a swap issue?

-uD

Forum Links
Forum Rules