Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > FileSharing Problem

FileSharing Problem
bayz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 11:24 AM

My iMac says "FileSharing cannot be enabled" when it starts up. When I tried to open the control panel to start it, there is no owner name or password. I hit start filesharing and it says that it cannot start without a owner name. So I tried to put an owner name in but it wont accept it. It will let me type in a name but as soon as I click start or hit return it will dissapear, and the same thing happens with the password. Does anyone know why? HELP!!!

Cipher13
Jun 16, 2001, 08:47 AM

Trash the invisible AppleShare PDS file at the root of any shared volumes using ResEdit or some file utility, trash your other File Sharing preference files, make sure the ShareWay extension is enabled, as well as all other File Sharing components and libraries, open the control panel, enter a user/pass, and turn it on, and hope it works.
If not, report back here for more ideas.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2001, 10:17 PM

Filesharing on my G4 400 Gig Ethernet worked fine until I added a second internal drive(30G IDE). Maybe it was just coincidence, but it hasn't worked since on 9.1, although OS X seems OK. I've tried all the hints above, and finally reinstalled 9.1, no luck. It's more of an annoyance then anything else, since I'm in OS X 95% if the time. but I wish I could figure it out. I have two copies of 9.1, once on each drive(with one stripped down for Classic) and filesharing doesn't work from either one.

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Ron Goodman ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules