Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is this legal?

Is this legal?
tweedledee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2010, 03:35 PM

My roommate uses AT&T DSL (windows) to get online. In addition, he's also plugged into WiFi. When I purchased a used Apple laptop for practically free, he suggested, I also buy a small $29 device which is plugged into one of my USB ports which I did. At a cost to me of zero, I'm using both DSL and WiFi, both of which seem to be working fine. However, I'm concerned about the legality of this arrangement. My roommate dismisses me as an old lady.

Is AT&T my ISP or is WiFi? If all this is really legal, to whom would I go to for settings questions were I to need them? My roommate doesn't respond to these queries and gets annoyed when I press for information. The WiFi part of this arrangement is totally greek to me, I understand no part of it.

I welcome comments.

Cold Warrior
Apr 4, 2010, 03:40 PM

What do you mean wifi? Is the att dsl also wifi?

If so don't sweat it. Legal.

If you were cracking your neighbor's wifi then using it, that's another story.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
My roommate uses AT&T DSL (windows) to get online. In addition, he's also plugged into WiFi. When I purchased a used Apple laptop for practically free, he suggested, I also buy a small $29 device which is plugged into one of my USB ports which I did. At a cost to me of zero, I'm using both DSL and WiFi, both of which seem to be working fine. However, I'm concerned about the legality of this arrangement. My roommate dismisses me as an old lady.

Is AT&T my ISP or is WiFi? If all this is really legal, to whom would I go to for settings questions were I to need them? My roommate doesn't respond to these queries and gets annoyed when I press for information. The WiFi part of this arrangement is totally greek to me, I understand no part of it.

I welcome comments.
Your post is very confusing in many ways.

1) Why did you need to plug anything into your Mac to get access to WiFi ? Is the built-in WiFi broken ?

2) When you talk about DSL, do you mean a wired connection via an Ethernet cable ?

3) Why do you want to use both DSL and WiFi concurrently ?

4) Who provides the WiFi ? It sounds like AT&T provides the (wired?) DSL.

-t

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2010, 02:13 AM

Ok, a few things.

First, wifi is a connection method. HOW you connect. You either plug in a network (ethernet) cable, or you connect via wifi. The wifi comes from a router like DLINK, Belkin, Apple airport extreme, etc.

ATT is who provides the service. The router connects to the modem where it gets the signal from ATT. Your router turns it into either a wired or wireless (wifi) connection.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 08:41 AM

What I get out of the OPs post is this :
The roommate has a wireless router which connects to the net via DSL (AT&T). Roommate noticed OP with laptop that probably doesn't have wifi built in, so they suggest for them to invest in a wireless network card which plugs into the USB port and is also being kind enough to allow the OP to access the net through their wireless router, which is a DSL connected provided by AT&T. *phew*

If that is correct, then yes totally legal.

FYI : OP = original poster.

P.S. : FYI = for your information.
(thought I'd mention that since the OP seems to be a n00b)

Forum Links
Forum Rules