Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > 13'' Retina MacBook Pro teardown shows soldered RAM, new battery

13'' Retina MacBook Pro teardown shows soldered RAM, new battery
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 25, 2012, 07:19 AM

The crew at iFixit has dissected Apple's new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, revealing the internal changes necessary to achieve its thinner profile. The redesigned notebook takes inspiration from its larger counterpart, transitioning to soldered RAM that cannot be easily swapped at a later time. Users are currently limited to 8GB of RAM, without the 16GB option offered with the 15-inch model.

Interestingly, despite the variety of efforts to shrink and rearrange internal components to reduce size, Apple left unused space around the SSD storage. It is unclear if the company originally planned to offer additional storage choices beyond the SSD-only options.

The modular battery includes several cells beneath the palm rests to the left and right of the trackpad, and a longer cell that crosses beneath the keyboard. iFixit suggests it took only 15 minutes to remove the battery, which was much easier to remove than the battery in the 15-inch model, though the teardown team points out that it is a "far cry from the no-adhesive MacBook Pro batteries of yesteryear."

iFixit ultimately gave the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro a repairability score of just two out of 10.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 7, 2015 at 03:07 PM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2012, 08:27 AM

Here's the link if you don't want to Google it, as MacNN didn't see fit to include the source: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...ardown/11225/1

And what happened to iFixit? it used to be a reputable website and now this?????

What are they? a bunch of teenagers? "I can has a teerdoneburgerz? LOLLLLL"

• The AirPort card may be the same as our last Retina teardown, but do you know what's different about this teardown?
• Kittens, that's what.
Are they high?

♫ It's gettin' hot in herre (so hot), so take off all your heat sinks. ♫
Yep. Definitely!
( Last edited by FireWire; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM. )

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2012, 09:53 AM

Firewire:
Agreed, there is no reason for MNN to not have a link to the actual article. I got mine off of MacRumours. If Mac Rumours can do it then why not MNN?

I don't agree with your critique of the iFixIt article. I found the kittens and tongue in cheek humour very amusing. It shows that they don't take themselves too seriously. It would be another thing if they short changed the tear down but they didn't. They just added kittens and wry commentary. . Funny stuff.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 26, 2012, 05:05 PM

Will crApple get the EPEAT PLATINUM on this one?? Don't be surprised.... poop walks when cash talks... crApple

Forum Links
Forum Rules