Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Home Appliances Injure You the Most?

What Home Appliances Injure You the Most?
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 05:45 PM

I've just realized that I'm always stubbing my fingers on the washing machine, and scraping my hands up on the dryer. Likely due to me trying to accomplish a load switch as fast as possible.

I imagine if I cooked more, the oven would rate high, and if I were a woman, maybe the curling iron.

I don't know if a razor (or a kitchen knife) counts as an appliance, but if it does, that's certainly in the running.

So, what other indispensable aspects of modern living draw your blood and give you blisters?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 05:50 PM

I try to not be injured by appliances. However, the iron seems to get into infrequent battles with me.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2008, 05:51 PM

Toilet.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 05:53 PM

I can honestly say I haven't been injured by an appliance in the last ten years of my life.

Of course I use far more dangerous machinery on a daily basis so I guess that's why. My g/f burns herself on her hair straightener at least once a month.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 05:53 PM

Oven. Easily the number hurter of myself.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I can honestly say I haven't been injured by an appliance in the last ten years of my life.

So, what got you 10 years ago, and did you put it down?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Toilet.

That certainly hurts my ears when the SO slams the seat down after I forget to put it down myself.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2008, 06:14 PM

Iron, inner forearm usually. ouch.

Dryer, static shocks. I don't use dryer sheets.
ice

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2008, 06:16 PM

I put an icepick through my finger once, but that isn't really an appliance.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 06:18 PM

I don't think I've ever had a home appliances injury. You guys must be real klutz.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 06:36 PM

Every time I turn on the computer I get a 40,000-volt shock. It's fun, & educational too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
I put an icepick through my finger once, but that isn't really an appliance.

Ooooh.

I put one of those giant copper staples through my palm, not an appliance, but it was from a TV box, so I was unpacking an appliance.

In big letters on the top of the box was the admonition "REMOVE ALL STAPLES BEFORE UNPACKING".

I was like, sh'yeah, right.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 9, 2008, 07:15 PM

I was cutting some veggies a while ago with my brand new knives and managed to fillet a bit of skin off of my thumb. Would that count? I can't think of any other injuries from appliances though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:21 PM

My Roomba.

It keeps attacking me in bed

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, what got you 10 years ago, and did you put it down?
Probably a hot wood stove burn, but I'm still with Doofy, you guys are klutzes.

I rarely injure myself with power tools, never-mind home appliances.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
hot wood stove burn

I'd rather be a klutz than consider a hot wood stove indispensable to modern living.

That way I get to take advantage of germ theory to help me along with all the cuts and scrapes.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2008, 07:30 PM

I'm with sec929 on this. In the past decade I've managed to avoid hurting myself on or with any home appliance. This, however, has not always been the case. I have burned myself with both gas and electric stoves (much more often on electrics, of course), and on toasters, I've cut myself on or with various other appliances including a dishwasher, and so on.

If water heaters count as household appliances, I have quite a story. Without going into the agonizing detail, I found out that propane does not behave like natural gas in a water heater situation. I wound up with second degree burns all over the back of my left hand and fingers and halfway up the back of my arm, along with minor facial burns (and no eyebrows for a while), and had to present "what not to do" to my whole unit at a safety meeting. I'm really REALLY careful with burn hazards ever since then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:40 PM

I also tend not to injure myself on appliances. But I've done one better: The worst burn I ever got was when I put my pencil down on a desk, and (unknown to me) some genius had thought it would be a good idea to leave a live soldering iron there as well, so I reach over to pick up my pencil and wind up grabbing the hot part of the iron. That was kind of embarrassing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm with sec929 on this. In the past decade I've managed to avoid hurting myself on or with any home appliance.

Just to be clear, I'm talking minor boo-boos. Not even a band-aid necessarily needed.

That being said, I think we'd all rather hear exploding water heater stories.

I pulled a pot of hot popcorn oil off the stove onto my leg when I was 4.

Epic fail.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I also tend not to injure myself on appliances. But I've done one better: The worst burn I ever got was when I put my pencil down on a desk, and (unknown to me) some genius had thought it would be a good idea to leave a live soldering iron there as well, so I reach over to pick up my pencil and wind up grabbing the hot part of the iron. That was kind of embarrassing.

This is like a flood of memories!

I tried to pull a piece of glue off an active hot glue gun once (this was as an adult too), I had a definite reason for doing it at the time, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:49 PM

Epic fail.
Heh. I ran through the glass front door when I was 6.

Epic win! ...since I didn't have a scratch on me.
I can dodge raindrops in a monsoon.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:51 PM

Hang on a sec... ...do cats count as "appliances"? Because, you know, one of them is trying to visit "death by a thousand cuts" upon me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Heh. I ran through the glass front door when I was 6.

Epic win! ...since I didn't have a scratch on me.
I can dodge raindrops in a monsoon.

No kidding.

Here's one of the useless facts I've learned:

Della Reese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A number of years earlier, she accidentally walked into a plate glass door in her home. She was sliced so badly by the broken glass she required a thousand stitches to close her wounds."

It's because of her that they started putting the stickers and little hangy things on glass doors.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 08:14 PM

I once blew a 16d framing nail from an air gun right straight through my hand. I was nailing through the top plate into the studs, holding each stud in place as I went along. I fired through a knot which blew apart and the nail embedded itself in my hand. The worst part was pulling it out, spurting blood from the entrance and exit wounds. Quite messy, quite embarrassing.

Alex601
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2008, 08:16 PM

Any appliance that creates heat and that you can get burnt on. Most commonly the toaster oven.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Hang on a sec... ...do cats count as "appliances"?
Depends on the level of (ab)use. Only YOU can tell

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2008, 09:07 PM

Ya see!

It just happened again.

I'm pulling the laundry out of the washing machine and I bang my knuckles on one of the agitator fins.

Not hard at all, but since it wasn't intentional, it's mildly irritating.

andi*pandi
Mar 9, 2008, 09:10 PM

I can tell you, it's a bad idea to stand on top of the toilet to reach an upper cabinet. Especially when unbeknownst to you, someone small scatters things all over the floor. So, maybe it's not the toilet's fault.

A very nasty fall to have while 5 months pregnant.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2008, 09:22 PM

"It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one."

( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Mar 9, 2008 at 09:45 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 09:46 PM

I always burn myself on steam from the dishwasher and the coffee maker. I'll occasionally burn my hand on oven when I take something out but other than that nothing serious. I have, however, almost died/or broken neck tripping over the open dishwasher.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
When I was 4 or so I visited my dad in his shop. Upon seeing a soldering iron for the first time I grabbed it not knowing it was plugged in and at peak temp. Man that hurt, melted a big line in my palm too.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2008, 09:56 PM

Just to be clear, I'm talking minor boo-boos. Not even a band-aid necessarily needed.

That being said, I think we'd all rather hear exploding water heater stories.

Epic fail.
In that case, my cabinets have a taste for blood. I'm always reaching under either the cabinet itself or a shelf in it and getting my knuckles just a millimeter too high-and scraping a nice little oval of me off on the surface that I grazed. Painful and frustrating at the same time.

I should add that the water heater itself didn't blow up-rather the gas in the combustion chamber blew "out" all over my hand and arm. Very impressive fireball, by the way. It scared the dog so much that I didn't see him for hours!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2008, 10:28 PM

I’m fairly lucky in this department. When it comes to home appliances, the only I’ve ever really done is accidentally put my hand on the stove while it was on, and that was probably almost twenty years ago, at a guess.

Other than that, it’s just small things, like banging my knee on the legs of the table when getting up or sitting down.

Moving beyond plain home appliances, however, I do have a nasty ability to cut or scratch myself on the strangest things, though I don’t think I’ve ever actually cut myself on a knife, oddly enough.. Paper cuts are of course fairly common (though they still make the little hairs on my neck stand up just by thinking about them... ugghhhh!), but I’ve also cut myself on such varied objects at:

– shelves and tables
– door ... erm, the little thingamajig that moves in and out when you turn the handle (and which Wikipedia tells me is called a bolt)
– mirrors
– various forms of rope, string, yarn, thread, etc.
– RAM blocks
– a photocopier
– the door of the McDonald’s cooling room (I used to work there)
– a McDonald’s steak (drew blood, too!)

Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2008, 10:42 PM

The bottom edge of my iMac gave me a nice slice.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2008, 11:10 PM

mcdonalds sells steaks?

the appliance that I usually get hurt on is the bathroom sink. it has this tendency to all of a sudden start shooting out extremely hot water for no reason, even if the mix is 3/4 turn cold and 1/4 turn hot

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
mcdonalds sells steaks?
The weirdest thing I've drawn blood with was mashed potatoes. It was back in my deli days, and I thought I could scrape all the old mashed potatoes out of the pan with my hands to save the trouble of clogging the drain in the sink. Well, I didn't account for the potatoes at the very bottom which had dried into jagged, crusty potatoe shards. It was somewhat of a shock to me, as it gave me a good slice along the tip and side of the middle finger.

Papercuts are the most common injury at home though, if... paper is an appliance. Other than that, stepping on geometrically shaped things, as I never wear shoes unless I go out.
are you lightfooted?

elyzabennet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 02:43 AM

I hate my dishwasher, it sprained my ankle.

The door to the dishwasher was open and I was attempting to walk around it. Obviously I didn't do a very good job as the corner of the dishwasher door hit me right smack-dab on the ankle. The doctor said it was a sprain. I had always thought that a sprain was twisting your ankle, not hitting it, but apparently not.
I'm not sure I trust this particular doctor though, she was more willing to give me vicodin than crutches.

Cipher13
Mar 10, 2008, 04:07 AM

Doors don't count, but if they did, they'd be number one. Always kicking my toes on walls and doors.

Appliances? Microwave, for sure. I have a habit of grabbing things out of it before considering the fact that they're going to be extremely hot.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2008, 06:42 AM

mcdonalds sells steaks?
Well, they call them steaks here (perhaps wishful-thinkingly so). Perhaps ‘patties’ would be a better description. Those meatlike pancakes they put in their burgers.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 07:55 AM

the wife.

Every time I come home late, smelling of beer and fags (cigarettes to you US boys), demanding my supper I get clobbered by a great big saucepan.

Can't understand it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
the wife.

Every time I come home late, smelling of beer and fags (cigarettes to you US boys), demanding my supper I get clobbered by a great big saucepan.

Can't understand it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 08:05 AM

No kidding.

Here's one of the useless facts I've learned:

Della Reese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A number of years earlier, she accidentally walked into a plate glass door in her home. She was sliced so badly by the broken glass she required a thousand stitches to close her wounds."

It's because of her that they started putting the stickers and little hangy things on glass doors.
In Australia, it's because of me.

I ran through a plate glass window in some motel in the middle of the outback (two hours from Alice Springs) at age eight, in an effort not to miss the beginning of "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines".

A single largish shard of glass hit the *back* of my thigh, narrowly missing the artery and important knee-joint ligaments.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
the wife.

Can't understand it.
Do it like a friend of mine:

After his own housewarming party, he rang a neighbor out of bed because he was too drunk to unlock his own door and get back in. He asked if she could help him - as his wife was already asleep in bed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules