Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15inch imac over G4ibook?

15inch imac over G4ibook?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 06:06 PM

Hey--

I already have an icebook 500 and upgrading to the G4 doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade.... it is, but for whatever reason it feels like it isn't.

I was thinking maybe a better choice would be the 15imac. I love the nice bright screen, it really it quite nice.

It has to be twice as bright at the ibook, it's just so great.

But I would miss closing the lid, taking it with me to the couch if need be, and just typing on the laptop in general.

I dont' really need a portable since I never take this comptuer off the power supply and go anywhere. I just have no need to.

I take a pen and paper with me whereever I go and that works just fine as my laptop computer on the fly.

Just wondering if about else has been thinking about either of these two machines.

I was thinking of getting the imac 15 because of the G4, but now the playing field has been made even.

So the main difference to me is the imac shoudl be faster and have a better screen, while the ibook is smaller, portbale.

My only worry on the imac is getting a dead pixel (which I could get on the ibook) and the fact that the screen seems to refect a lot of light (but i'm sure that has to due with harsh overhead lights at the store)

I just wish the ibooks screen was a bit bigger and brighter.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:11 PM

There are the 14" iBooks, their screens are really bright at least in my opinion. My brother's got a 14" 600MHz iBook and it has a really nice screen. If you're not heavily into games and can live without a SuperDrive the G4 iBook would be a much cheaper upgrade than a 15" Powerbook.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:15 PM

I have an iBook 700 and an iMac G4. If you can afford it, keep the iBook and buy the iMac. I don't feel that the iBook upgrade is all that great. I haven't had a problem with the light refecting on the iMac. If you don't need a portable power-house, invest in the iMac.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I have an iBook 700 and an iMac G4. If you can afford it, keep the iBook and buy the iMac. I don't feel that the iBook upgrade is all that great. I haven't had a problem with the light refecting on the iMac. If you don't need a portable power-house, invest in the iMac.
You're a good person to ask....

So for web surfing and the like, go with the iMac right?

How much better is the imac screen than the ibook? To me it looks 100% better.

Which imac do you have? 800 model?

acarboni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 10:47 PM

It sounds to me like most of your use is light use (web surfing, document writing, etc.). If this is true, then you already have a great portable for the kind of things you do daily.

I would say keep your current iBook, and get the iMac. I've had an 15"/800/Superdrive since they first came out, and I think it's a wonderful system. It's the best computer I've ever owned, and even though it's meant for the consumer level, I've been able to do very heavy-duty video/animation work on it.

I think you'll find having a desktop at home makes you feel a little more at ease with carrying the laptop around with you, since it will no longer be your only system.

Also, thanks to shared folders, and now that iTunes libraries are shared over local networks, you can keep all your music and important files on the iMac, free up your iBook's hard drive, and use the iMac as a great file/media server.

It seems a shame that you keep that lovely iceBook chained to the wall like that. I say set it free, man! It was made to roam! You can't get any jealous looks at the local coffee house if you don't bring your system with you!

Anthony

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 11:39 PM

I agree with acarboni. He has some good points.

I have the 1.25 GHz iMac. I have found that it serves my every need and then some. It is by far the best looking computer on the market and I have no complaints about the performance. (It sure beats my last desktop. I will never buy another Windows machine.)

The other side to that is portability. I was about to sell my iBook to help pay for my iMac but I deceided against it. I started thinking about when I go on trips or if I just want to sit on the couch and relax while writing a paper, etc. It's kinda hard to drag to iMac around like that. I love the fact that I can take my iBook with me for the whole world to see. I think that you are missing out if you let it go.

You said you are looking at the 15" model so I can't do a good comparison for you there. I can say that the screen is a whole lot brighter. You will also get a few more inches worth of breathing room. If you are into games, the iMac is way better than the iBook. I tried playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my iBook. It works but I can't brag about it. On my iMac it is flawless.

If I were in your situation, I would choose the iMac.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I agree with acarboni. He has some good points.

I have the 1.25 GHz iMac. I have found that it serves my every need and then some. It is by far the best looking computer on the market and I have no complaints about the performance. (It sure beats my last desktop. I will never buy another Windows machine.)

The other side to that is portability. I was about to sell my iBook to help pay for my iMac but I deceided against it. I started thinking about when I go on trips or if I just want to sit on the couch and relax while writing a paper, etc. It's kinda hard to drag to iMac around like that. I love the fact that I can take my iBook with me for the whole world to see. I think that you are missing out if you let it go.

You said you are looking at the 15" model so I can't do a good comparison for you there. I can say that the screen is a whole lot brighter. You will also get a few more inches worth of breathing room. If you are into games, the iMac is way better than the iBook. I tried playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my iBook. It works but I can't brag about it. On my iMac it is flawless.

If I were in your situation, I would choose the iMac.
At this time, I can only afford one system... If I bought a new computer I would sell my old one to help offset the cost.

So it's either one or the other. But that is a great option if you can do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules