Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ssslllloooowww wireless file transfer between PC and iBook

ssslllloooowww wireless file transfer between PC and iBook
tmjf_sifu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 05:05 PM

i am not a complete newbie when it comes to networking, so i was able to get my iBook to recognize my PC and vice versa. however, the transfer rate is painfully slow. am i missing something. it should be much faster based on previous experiences.

thanks
holden mcgroin
iBook G4 933mhz
AE
BT
Max RAM
iCurve
Pro Speakers, Apple BT KB and Mouse

Saddam H.
Banned
Location: An interrogation cell in Qatar, begging for my apostatic soul as I fink on my accomplices: Chirac, Schroder, and Putin.
Feb 6, 2004, 07:26 PM

I also have the same problem on my LAN with my linksys BEFSR41.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2004, 09:17 AM

Just how are you connected between the two machines? If you're doing straight file sharing, computer to computer, you should see very fast speeds. On the other hand, if you're actually going out through the Internet to get to the computer on the other side of the room, that'll take a long time.

Review your filesharing settings on both computers. Make sure that your target computer is listed by its LAN identity, not by something that resolves to your Internet connection IP.

Also, make sure that there aren't any naming conflicts, either between the computers (like both being named "Bob's Computer") or between folders-folders shouldn't be a problem, but computer names sure can be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tmjf_sifu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
Just how are you connected between the two machines? If you're doing straight file sharing, computer to computer, you should see very fast speeds. On the other hand, if you're actually going out through the Internet to get to the computer on the other side of the room, that'll take a long time.

Review your filesharing settings on both computers. Make sure that your target computer is listed by its LAN identity, not by something that resolves to your Internet connection IP.

Also, make sure that there aren't any naming conflicts, either between the computers (like both being named "Bob's Computer") or between folders-folders shouldn't be a problem, but computer names sure can be.

my ibook is connected wirelessly to my desktop PC through a router. the PC is hardwired to a linksys router and the iBook communicates with the router wirelessly via AE. as i understand it, i should be capable of transferring at high speed or the theoretically maximum speed of my router (11mbps). the transfer rate is more like a 56k modem. i am not going through the internet to get to my computer, i am just using the wireless signal to access the router and the PC.

i will try to figure out what you mean by LAN identity and resolving the internet connection IP, but i don't need to use the internet or isp info to transfer files between machines.

the names seem to be correct. if they were not, i don't think i would even be able to see the other computer on my network. the computer names do not need to be the same, only the workgroup needs to be identical, if i understand the process.

thanks for the info, please let me know if you have any other ideas.

holden mcgroin

iBook G4 933mhz
AE
BT
Max RAM
iCurve
Pro Speakers, Apple BT KB and Mouse

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 02:47 PM

Just to test it, could you connect the iBook with a cable instead of Airport, in order to see if that speeds things up?

Sincerely,
Peter

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 05:36 PM

I have a similar setup except for a PowerBook, not an iBook. File transfer in Jaguar was painfully slow to the point of being useless. Now, in Panther, it seems much improved except I can connect to SMB shares less than 50% of the time. I'm still hoping for a 10.3.3 update that fixes all the networking bugs...meanwhile, I use a flash drive between the PC and PB, and all is well
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 08:16 PM

Hello, tmjf_sifu

I have a similar setup to yours: a PC (running Windows XP) connected to the Netgear MR814v2 wireless router and my iBook G4 (running Mac OS 10.3.2) connected via Airport Extreme with WEP enabled.

I use MenuMeters to show me what my throughput is (updated every 2s). When using SMB file transfer, I get about 400-500KBps. When using FTP, I get about 500-600KBps. Nowhere near the 11Mbps (1.5+MBps) mark, though.

It can be painfully slow, especially if you're used to 100Mbps speeds. I know I am suffering, as I've been weaned on a gigabit ethernet setup sometime in the past. Sigh! How I miss campus network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules