Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Neo-Progressivism is a cancer within our society

Neo-Progressivism is a cancer within our society (Page 5)
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2015, 12:23 PM

Perfect example of thinned skinned over-emotional BS.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If the admonition was simply "don't dress as a racist caricature", I'd have no argument, but the email she's responding to defines wearing a feathered headdress as crossing the line.

If there's an issue with the examples you posted, and I believe there is, does not saying a headdress falls in the same category dilute the argument?

Isn't she complaining about exactly the same thing you are? Conflating objectively bad shit with things that are not so much?
But the issue here us that many Native Americans don't see it any differently. They see it as a "racist caricature" as well.

With respect to feathered headdresses, these items are ripe with symbolic and spiritual significance in Native American culture. Eagle feathers are considered sacred so to see a non-native wearing them in a manner that is completely clueless as to their cultural significance is upsetting to many people. For instance, a scantily clad Victoria Secret model ....

But hey .... I'm no expert on Native American culture. It's probably best to just listen to an actual Native American explain WHY they find this so offensive.

Native Americans gaining ground in their quest to educate public about traditional headdresses | The Kansas City Star

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Students: Transgender Woman Can't Be Diversity Officer Because She's a White Man Now | National Review Online

Is this real life, or is it fantasy? Patriarchy! "But, I'm a genderqueer trans-man." Doesn't matter! Patriarchy!

So diversity.
The Feds are threating to pull funds from schools that will not allow trans students unfettered use of locker rooms and bathrooms.

What the Federal Decision to Stand With Trans Girl Means for School Locker Rooms Nationwide - ABC News

Obama Backs Transgender Teen In School Restroom Dispute

Bathroom access for transgender teen divides town - CNN.com
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
But the issue here us that many Native Americans don't see it any differently. They see it as a "racist caricature" as well.

With respect to feathered headdresses, these items are ripe with symbolic and spiritual significance in Native American culture. Eagle feathers are considered sacred so to see a non-native wearing them in a manner that is completely clueless as to their cultural significance is upsetting to many people. For instance, a scantily clad Victoria Secret model ....

But hey .... I'm no expert on Native American culture. It's probably best to just listen to an actual Native American explain WHY they find this so offensive.

Native Americans gaining ground in their quest to educate public about traditional headdresses | The Kansas City Star

OAW
Perhaps I should find some Mexican Catholics and kick up a fuss.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 03:36 PM

The Aussies are way ahead of the curve!

45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 07:38 PM

Jerelyn Luther, the Yale twit screaming at her headmaster, is very privileged, much more so than he was at her age.

Meet The Privileged Yale Student Who Shrieked At Her Prof | The Daily Caller

I would have suspended her ass for a semester, maybe then she'll learn some respect for her superiors.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 07:47 PM

Also, Joseph McCarthy would be proud of methods these guys are using: University of Missouri Police Ask Students to Report ‘Hurtful Speech’ | Mediaite

Not hateful speech, mind you, hurtful speech. As if that's some type of objective standard.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 08:21 PM

Jerelyn Luther, the Yale twit screaming at her headmaster, is very privileged, much more so than he was at her age.

And now we have the IDIOTIC assertion that only POOR black people can experience racism on campus. Precisely what I would expect from you quite frankly.

I would have suspended her ass for a semester, maybe then she'll learn some respect for her superiors.
Superiors? Is Yale some sort of military organization? Or was that just a Freudian slip?

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2015, 08:53 PM

And now we have the IDIOTIC assertion that only POOR black people can experience racism on campus. Precisely what I would expect from you quite frankly.
No, we have your idiotic assertion that she was experiencing racism, when she wasn't, she was just being a bitch so she could humiliate the headmaster in public, all because he wasn't kissing her ass.

Superiors? Is Yale some sort of military organization? Or was that just a Freudian slip?
He's the headmaster of the school, he's her superior, get over it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 12:11 AM

No, we have your idiotic assertion that she was experiencing racism, when she wasn't, she was just being a bitch so she could humiliate the headmaster in public, all because he wasn't kissing her ass.
And you know this how? Your magical insight into this young lady's personal experiences on the Yale campus and those of her peers? Don't worry. The question was rhetorical. We both know you have NOTHING to support this statement.

He's the headmaster of the school, he's her superior, get over it.
Again as our Resident Forum Internet Expert you continue to pretend like you know about things which you clearly don't. He is not a "headmaster". That's not his title. He is a "master" of a particular college on the university campus. The bottom line is this guy is in charge of a residential community at Yale. He's a glorified R.A. Just not a student and he actually collects a paycheck for his work. As someone who has actually graduated from a school with a "headmaster" ... which FTR is akin to a principal or dean ... I know for a FACT that his position is nothing of the sort. But go on and keep talking sh*t. That's just what you do.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 11, 2015 at 12:47 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 04:38 AM

And you know this how? Your magical insight into this young lady's personal experiences on the Yale campus and those of her peers? Don't worry. The question was rhetorical. We both know you have NOTHING to support this statement.
No, look at the situation, this is about her actions, and her being an abusive, stuck-up bitch. You really can't see beyond any race issues, can you?

Again as our Resident Forum Internet Expert you continue to pretend like you know about things which you clearly don't. He is not a "headmaster". That's not his title. He is a "master" of a particular college on the university campus. The bottom line is this guy is in charge of a residential community at Yale. He's a glorified R.A. Just not a student and he actually collects a paycheck for his work. As someone who has actually graduated from a school with a "headmaster" ... which FTR is akin to a principal or dean ... I know for a FACT that his position is nothing of the sort. But go on and keep talking sh*t. That's just what you do.
and as you're our most abusive member, I can see how you don't understand how the guy (who is still her superior), at the very least, deserves basic human respect. I wouldn't talk to anyone I meet like that, I treat hobos with (much) more courtesy. As I've said before, I can only imagine what an awful person you are.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2015, 02:21 PM

OAW
The video directly addresses my argument. What's being claimed in it is misappropriation. Are the blackface examples also misappropriation?

If someone were to call the blackface "misappropriation", I'd call them out for grossly misrepresenting the scale of the transgression. I'd say the same thing about Chief Wahoo. Wahoo goes well beyond misappropriation.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 02:32 PM

^^^^

I see the point you are making. I have no dispute with that.

OAW

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2015, 03:29 PM

Some argue that this is just "freedom of expression". Ok fine. But where they err is in this notion that somehow that gives them license to go around portraying racist stereotypes without consequences and repercussions
And precisely what would those repercussions and consequences be according to how you'd run your little collegiate racial justice agenda?

If individuals want to protest or express their own viewpoints on their displeasure or disdain for said portrayal that's all well and good. By all means go at it. What your diatribe sounds like its suggesting is requiring the universities to take punitive action against or at the very least prohibit those people's expression or viewpoints.

In the case of Yale that is at the minimum problematic and hypocritcal.
In the case of UCLA it has the merits of a federal lawsuit.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 03:33 PM

College students are simply misunderstood...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 04:11 PM

The money quote:
One of the most fascinating revelations regarding Luther’s identity, though, is the fact that she played a role in Christakis becoming master of Silliman College in the first place. In her tirade, Luther screams “Who the f*ck hired you?” at Christakis. But further research reveals that Luther actually served on the search committee that chose Christakis as the master of Silliman College. So, when Luther screams “who the **** hired you,” the answer is, in some part, herself.

Read more: Meet The Privileged Yale Student Who Shrieked At Her Prof | The Daily Caller
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 04:20 PM

MY sister took 2nd place at the Dr.'s office where she works. Is a Mexican woman dressed as a Japanese woman racist?
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
And precisely what would those repercussions and consequences be according to how you'd run your little collegiate racial justice agenda?

If individuals want to protest or express their own viewpoints on their displeasure or disdain for said portrayal that's all well and good. By all means go at it. What your diatribe sounds like its suggesting is requiring the universities to take punitive action against or at the very least prohibit those people's expression or viewpoints.
Given the highlighted portion above then what is your issue? Again, this is what happened per Ms. Christakis' own words ...

Originally Posted by Erika Christakis
Nicholas and I have heard from a number of students who were frustrated by the mass email sent to the student body about appropriate Halloween-wear.
Yale never said there would be any punitive action taken for wearing racially offensive Halloween costumes. Nor did I say there should be. The issue I was speaking about was that many making this so-called "freedom of expression" argument are seriously bent out of shape because the university even sent out the email! Again, as if they somehow have license to go around portraying racist stereotypes without even being told it's inappropriate beforehand or called out for it after the fact. That's the "consequences and repercussions" I'm talking about. Because make no mistake about ... there are plenty who are confusing their right to "freedom of expression" with "freedom from criticism".

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The money quote:
Yeah, it's pretty amusing, I guess she forgot.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

In the case of Yale that is at the minimum problematic and hypocritcal.
In the case of UCLA it has the merits of a federal lawsuit.
As I posted before: Free speech is so last century. Today’s students want the ‘right to be comfortable’ » The Spectator

Barely a week goes by without reports of something ‘offensive’ being banned by students. Robin Thicke’s rude pop ditty ‘Blurred Lines’ has been banned in more than 20 universities. Student officials at Balliol College, Oxford, justified their ban as a means of ‘prioritising the wellbeing of our students’. Apparently a three-minute pop song can harm students’ health. More than 30 student unions have banned the Sun, on the basis that Page Three could turn all those pre-rapists into actual rapists. Radical feminist students once burned their bras — now they insist that models put bras on. The union at UCL banned the Nietzsche Society on the grounds that its existence threatened ‘the safety of the UCL student body’.
and now it's all over the USA. The issue is that certain students want to ban anything that doesn't fit into their narrow groupthink, what is counter to their Gender Studies classes. Not long ago we had to contend with the religious Right wanting to curtail freedom of expression, now it's the radical Left. It amazes me that groups that were largely ignored for so long, now that they have a little political capital, are spending it to do some silencing of their own. The problem is, they don't have nearly as much as they think they have. When push turns to shove, those on the high ground win.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2015, 10:42 AM

These idiots with the thin skinned attitudes and overly emotional, easily offended way of 'thinking/emoting' will not help them in the real world. Imagine being told their quality of work is lousy, and they have a bad attitude. Boo-Hoo. Immaturity is its own punishment.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2015, 11:16 PM

Well, apparently the poop swastika was a lie (no evidence whatsoever), as was the KKK on campus, and the Yale students being belittled and harassed on campus. No proof, no substance, all lies. I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see some of those prima donnas get bounced out of school for starting all this (and ruining some educators' careers). It won't happen, because the college administrations are all pussies (except Purdue), but it would be nice.

I think someone did call Mizzou and make threats, after all this shit (heh) started, but it turns out he was 70 miles away and was never actually going to carry out his threat (though he should be charged with something I guess, for being an idiot and stirring the pot).

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:18 AM

Predictably you continue to demonstrate your true colors. WND.com? How'd that work out for you the last time?

Poop Truthers Launch Conspiracy Theory About Mizzou Poop Swastika, Are Immediately Embarassed | News Blog | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times

While trolls like CTP are stuck on stupid sh*t like this ... as if that's the "be all and end all" of what prompted the protests ... I'd courage those with more sense to check out the #BlackOnCampus hashtag on Twitter to see what it's really all about. See if you can just read the various posts for an hour without comment and without getting defensive. You just might learn something. Seriously.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:26 AM

Predictably you continue to demonstrate your true colors. WND.com? How'd that work out for you the last time?

Poop Truthers Launch Conspiracy Theory About Mizzou Poop Swastika, Are Immediately Embarassed | News Blog | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times

OAW
A swastika done days after the fact means nothing. Understand? "Oh man, we're gonna need evidence now. I'm going to the bathroom with my iphone".

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:35 AM

and there's also Jonathan Butler, what a joke. First he jumps in front of the college president's car, while screaming "black power", no less. Then immediately claims the president tried to run him over? Is that enough? Naw. After that he goes 4 days without food (he still had liquids). 4 whole days? Well, gosh. "I'm sooo weak, help me to the podium." Pathetic. Oh well, I'm sure his wealthy parents (his father is a successful exec) can help with that. There's a hell of a lot of privilege on display, and POC have been loud and proud showing it off.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:39 AM

A swastika done days after the fact means nothing. Understand? "Oh man, we're gonna need evidence now. I'm going to the bathroom with my iphone".
At the end of the day you are citing an article from BirtherCentral.com. Need I elaborate any further on such idiocy?

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:44 AM

At the end of the day you are citing an article from BirtherCentral.com. Need I elaborate any further on such idiocy?
and you cite something from a place no one else has ever heard of? You're the king of idiocy spouting, it's your bread and butter.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:50 AM

and you cite something from a place no one else has ever heard of? You're the king of idiocy spouting, it's your bread and butter.
Considering this is a Missouri story it's actually a local source. The third largest newspaper in the state by circulation behind the Kansas City Star and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Did you even bother to check? You know what? Nevermind ...

OAW

PS: Did I mention that WND is BirtherCentral.com already? Hmmm. Yeah.
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 13, 2015 at 01:02 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:32 AM

Considering this is a Missouri story it's actually a local source. The third largest newspaper in the state by circulation behind the Kansas City Star and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Did you even bother to check? You know what? Nevermind ...
Yeah, right, and the Weekly World News has a circulation that dwarfs them all.

PS: Did I mention that WND is BirtherCentral.com already? Hmmm. Yeah.
Do you ever get tired of the logical fallacies? More lies from Mizzou? Yep: Mizzou student body president apologizes for spreading KKK rumor twitchy.com
and here: Is the entire Mizzou Protest Based on Lies? | FOX Sports

Apparently there's more shit in the student's' story than there ever was smeared by a racist at Mizzou (unless you count the person who drew it after the fact). Even if it had happened as they said, they should have just grown a pair and called the janitor to clean it, rather than throw their whole school into turmoil with all the attention-whoring. How do these fragile, little toddlers even handle walking across the street? Oh, I know, I guess they just need more "Safe Spaces", coloring books, and trauma counselors (and people wonder why college tuition is spiralling up out of control).

Later, Barbie.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 07:35 AM

and there's also Jonathan Butler, what a joke. First he jumps in front of the college president's car, while screaming "black power", no less. Then immediately claims the president tried to run him over? Is that enough? Naw. After that he goes 4 days without food (he still had liquids). 4 whole days? Well, gosh. "I'm sooo weak, help me to the podium." Pathetic. Oh well, I'm sure his wealthy parents (his father is a successful exec) can help with that. There's a hell of a lot of privilege on display, and POC have been loud and proud showing it off.
Reports are his parents net worth is >$20 milllion. Perhaps Butler and Luther are living out "noblesse oblige"
45/47

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2015, 08:36 AM

I'm waiting for Rev. Wright , Rev. Sharpton and Van Jones to be investigated for racial hate speech. Hypocrites.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 12:12 PM

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2015, 12:40 PM

with ALL THE TEXT GRAYED OUT? Seriously?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
with ALL THE TEXT GRAYED OUT? Seriously?
Since you can't be bothered to answer a simple survey question to show the article ...

Prosecutors have charged a third Missouri man with posting online threats to attack a college campus.

Tyler J. Bradenberg, 19, of the 4600 block of East Concord Road in the Mehlville area, was charged Thursday with a felony count of making a terrorist threat. An arrest warrant has been issued for him.

Authorities say Bradenberg posted "I'm gonna shoot up this school" on the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak on Wednesday. It was apparently aimed at the Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, where he studied chemical engineering for a semester last fall.

After the message was posted, S&T police said in court records, officers "began receiving numerous telephone calls from panicked and concerned students regarding their safety and welfare."

Police found Bradenberg at his home in south St. Louis County, records say. A Rolla detective says Bradenberg admitted he posted the threat.

Bradenberg's father, Paul Bradenberg, told the Post-Dispatch he thinks his son copied someone else's message and posted it on Yik Yak but had no intent of hurting anyone. He said his son does not own guns.

"Yik Yak is basically a bathroom stall," he said. "It's a misunderstanding. He's a smart kid and he just texted something in a split second without thinking of what he is doing, and he deleted it immediately. And now he's being charged with a felony. It's absurd. It's a complete empty threat and they've taken it too far."

A booking photo of Bradenberg was not immediately available. The Phelps County and St. Louis County jails said he was not in their custody. The Rolla police detective handling the case could not be reached Thursday. His bail was set at $75.000.

The threats follow protests over the University of Missouri's handling of racial issues that helped force two top officials to resign.

A student at Missouri University of Science and Technology appeared in court Thursday on a charge he made threats aimed at Mizzou, in part mimicking the wording used by a gunman who killed nine people at an Oregon college.

Meanwhile, a freshman at Northwest Missouri State University was charged Thursday with two counts of making a terrorist threat for posts saying he wanted to "shoot up" a dorm there and that he was going to "shoot any black ppl tomorrow."
St. Louis County man is 3rd charged with social media threats amid Mizzou tumult : St. Louis Post-Dispatch

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:17 PM

Some of our more deliberately obtuse and obnoxiously dismissive members wish to convince themselves that the Mizzou protests are rooted in unsubstantiated rumors. And since that is quite typical for them this post is directed more at those who are truly interested in the long-standing issues that have lead to the current situation. As I mentioned yesterday check out the #BlackOnCampus hashtag on Twitter for snippets about the daily BS black students have to deal with at predominantly white colleges. Not just at Mizzou but across the country. But here is a more long-form essay from just one student's perspective. And do trust and believe she is not alone nor is she manufacturing her experiences out of thin air.

With all of the unrest that has been occurring at my alma mater, The University of Missouri-Columbia, it has caused me to reflect on my own experiences while on campus. I completed both my undergraduate as well as my master's degree at Mizzou and while I had the opportunity to make great memories with some incredible people, it was a tough experience. I started Mizzou back in 2004. It was my last choice a.k.a safety school, because I knew that I was going to a HBCU. As the fates would have it however, I received the best financial aid packet from Mizzou and so in August 2004 I was on my way. I had participated in the Clue N2 Mizzou program, which was designed to give admitted black students the opportunity to stay on campus for a weekend prior to graduation or attending college. We stayed with a host student on campus, and basically shadowed them throughout the day. We attended class with them, ate at the dining halls, hung out around campus and participated in the activities sponsored by United Ambassadors, the organization that hosted the trip. Through this experience, I was able to meet other black students prior to attending school. I also had some older friends who had attended Mizzou and so I did not feel so culturally isolated.

From the beginning, I recognized that Mizzou essentially functioned as two separate campuses, a white one and a black one. For the most part, all of the black students either knew each other or knew of one another. If it just so happened that you didn't know someone but crossed paths with them, most would speak or give a nod of the head to acknowledge their presence. Do not get me wrong, you had those of us who felt that they were too good to speak to anyone and acted accordingly, but they still knew who you were. We would joke about how we were our own mini HBCU within the greater university. I mean, we did everything separately. We had our own black organizations including the Legion of Black Collegians, our black student government. We had our own black fraternities and sororities, The Black Culture Center, NAACP as well as a host of other organizations geared towards our interest. If for some reason there was not an organization to fit your needs, it was as easy as pie to start a new one. Although we did not have the funds of other major white orgs on campus, we made due with what we had. In the meantime, the other student government on campus MSA, had a million dollar budget, while the Legion of Black Collegians continued to petition the university for a budget increase, something that was apart of their original demands from 1969.

Nonetheless, we had enough black organizations and events to attend that we never felt the need to integrate, nor were we welcomed. It was understood that you stay over there and we'll stay over here. While some of the brave souls ventured through Greek Town, a section of campus where the white fraternities and sororities live in million dollar mansions and above the law of the university, it was known that blacks were not welcomed there. I heard numerous of stories of people being called Niggers walking through Greek Town and so I avoided that side of campus like the plague. The closest I would get, would be to the Truman School of Business or Dobbs Dining Hall. And to confirm the unspoken agreement, in 2004 there was an article placed in the school newspaper The Maneater, in which a white Greek student basically told black students to stay out of Greek Town. The black students were up in arms and held a protest at Jesse Hall, the administrative building on campus. Of course nothing changed and as such we continued to operate separately.

During this time, most of our events were hosted on campus in the Black Culture Center (BCC). It was one of our safe havens. Outside of the BCC, black students also found a safe place through Academic Retention Services (ARS) in the Student Success Center. ARS was influential because that office was in charge of the Diversity and Brooks Scholarship. Being that a good portion of the black students received one of those awards, we reported to an ARS advisor. With the exception of one advisor, the entire staff was black. In addition it was one of the only places on campus were black staff did not serve solely in custodial and food service positions. This in turn acted as a campus hangout for a lot of black students. At that time, students with the Diversity Scholarship participated in Dual Enrollment. Dual enrollment was an initiative in which blocks of seats were reserved in certain core courses so that first year black students could be placed in these classes together. This was to ensure that you had a support system and were not one of 3 black students in a class of 300 to 400. We were also required to participate in at least two campus organizations or activities as a stipulation of our scholarship. At the end of the semester we had to turn in the sheet signed by one of our organizations board members stating that we had actually participated. All throughout the week we would be running into each other and laugh because we all knew that we were doing the same thing, but those interactions helped us to build community. One of the AKA's on campus worked for ARS and everyday she would send out emails about all of the activities and parties that different black student organizations were hosting. We had forums discussing issues affecting the black community almost every other day, parties every weekend and we simply existed amongst each other. The only time that we had to interact with our white peers in a real sense and not simply in passing was in class, on-campus job or if you had a white roommate. Other than that we existed in our own mini HBCU fashion.

Microaggressions were abundant at Mizzou. I would hear stories of black students being told not to take up certain majors by their academic advisors, because it would be too hard for them. Ill give you one guess as to what those fields were. You guessed it, science and math. We were pushed into the humanities and being that an overwhelming majority of black kids were first generation college students, we did not know any better. We did not have mentors and older people to help guide us through school, and so we were left to our own devices and those of the majority white administration who did not believe in us even before we made it through the door. There were a few black students in the engineering department and they were all tight as glue. They also had their own organization called NSBE, the National Association of Black Engineers in which they supported each other in every sense of the way. In class, we had to constantly prove that we deserved to be there. There were students from all over Missouri and many of whom had never even seen a black person in real life, let alone speak to one. So for many of our white peers, everything that they knew about black people they learned from their families and television, so stereotypes were held as truths. The black stereotypes went accordingly; we were only there because of affirmative action, we were not actually smart enough to get in by our merits and most of us were from the ghetto. If you upset one of the white students, they had no problem telling you to go back to the hood. My absolute favorite moments were being in class and discussing race. Seeing as how there may have been only 3 black students in your class, you were then expected to speak for the entire black race, so you better make it count. Depending on what you said, it either confirmed or caused a sort of dissonance about their attitudes and ideologies of black people. So the authenticity as well as the intellectual, mental, spiritual and overall demeanor of the black race rested on your shoulders.

At one point I was majoring in sociology, but had to leave the department. I felt as if this field was a dumping ground for all the harrowing statistics about black life. It seemed that no matter what sociology class I found myself in, the rhetoric was the same. Black people are poor, live in poor neighborhoods, violence, black, poverty, black, body, black, despair, black and I had enough. Not to mention the fact that we were discussing these things amongst of body of white students who did not know nor care to know the other side of any of those arguments. I would get in debates with students so often, I lost count and I was plain tired of fighting. When it was all said and done, non-black students would swear to you that racism no longer existed. Their grandparents however, and even their parents did not like black people but they had one black friend and so they were colorblind. It was rare to have a professor that looked like you and when you did, it was a literal Godsend. While they were accessible to you one on one, it was rare for them to be present within the larger black student body, or even as a support amongst each other. Understandably so, many of them were dealing with the pressure of the racism from within their own departments. These were things that white students never even had to think about.

When it came to campus wide activities, such as homecoming, we were separated in that also. We had our own homecoming called The Black Family Reunion. Black Greeks did not participate in Greek Week and the activities leading up to homecoming, whereas the white fraternities and sororities held competitions and build floats for the parade. We were excluded from that. Granted we did not have the capital nor manpower as the white organizations, but once again, there was always that understood silence that this is our thing and you all have yours. Now many students on campus will argue that black Greeks had this elitist attitude and that we never really wanted to be apart of their activities, however our organizations were founded out of being excluded from white Greekdom, and that exclusionary attitude never changed. The Office of Greek Life held a leadership retreat for the heads of the all the Greek Lettered Organizations. They attempted to bridge the gap between all of the different councils and collectively we addressed a host of stereotypes that we each had of one another. It was very insightful and certain individuals made attempts to coalition build, but as is the nature of college, people graduate and new students come in with old beliefs. And in 2008, the state tried to pass a measure called the Civil Rights Initiative. It sounds promising right? Wrong, it was a bill that would eliminate affirmative action from schools and government contracts throughout Missouri. So a couple of students and I mobilized to fight against this on campus and spread awareness throughout the state. The school has an open campus policy and so the people who were paid to have these petitions signed to get on the November ballot, would be on campus all day and we literally had to shadow them to run them off of campus. We ended up winning that fight, but without the help of the administration and to the dismay of the many white students on campus. They were in agreement with bill and argued that affirmative action was reverse discrimination; not taking into consideration that all minority students combined only equaled 13.5% off undergraduate students at Mizzou, while white students made up the other 86.5%.

This was my Mizzou. Some will read into this story and say that it sounds like you all had everything that you needed to survive on campus. It sounds like a tale of a truly separate but equal educational system, but it wasn't. It was a system in which the black students had a cultural center and different organizations to make them feel apart of something, but that something was not the campus. That something was our version of Hawaii, a state outside of the states but required to pledge allegiance to the country, or in our case the university. Do not get me wrong, I had some really great times at Mizzou and I do not regret going there, however it came with a price and a message. The message was that we were not truly wanted there, so instead of those in charge actually making strides towards having an all inclusive school, they gave us just enough to exist within it. They gave us a campus within a campus.
Tale of Two Campuses: White and Black Mizzou | Erica Wright

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:21 PM

Mizzou Black Alumni have also voices their support to the current protests occurring on campus ....

A statement signed by 783 black MU alumni added their support to the cause of Concerned Student 1950 and other activists calling for action to improve race relations on campus.

"Many of us found ourselves protesting similar incidents on campus, and we find it highly unacceptable that many of these issues are not only continuing, but have become more pervasive," the letter said.

It cited racial incidents that occurred on and around campus from 2004 and 2011. They included:
  • 2004: An MU student wrote a post in the Maneater blaming black students for vandalism in Greektown and telling them to "stay in their little worlds."
  • 2007: Neo-Nazis protested in downtown Columbia.
  • 2010: Two MU students threw cotton balls on the lawn of the Gaines/Oldham Black Culture Center.
  • 2011: An MU student spray-painted a racial slur on a statue outside Hatch Hall.

The supporters also said the Mizzou Alumni Association has not given them an opportunity to formally organize. They want an official black alumni chapter to show their support for the black student body.

Chelsea Marks, an alumna who helped write the statement, said they sent it by social media at 2 p.m. Sunday. It had 783 signatures by 5 a.m. Monday and 883 by 9:30 a.m.

"In general, we are just a group of concerned alumni," she said. "Since we don’t have an official black alumni chapter, we were just trying to get our voices heard."

Marks said that she understands things take a long time to set up an official chapter, and that it’s an ongoing conversation.

"This is the same fight we’ve been fighting for years," Marks said.
MU black alumni, others support protesters, decry continued racism | Higher Education | columbiamissourian.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:45 PM

Well Barbie, let's take a look at that.

Bradenberg's father, Paul Bradenberg, told the Post-Dispatch he thinks his son copied someone else's message and posted it on Yik Yak but had no intent of hurting anyone. He said his son does not own guns.

"Yik Yak is basically a bathroom stall," he said. "It's a misunderstanding. He's a smart kid and he just texted something in a split second without thinking of what he is doing, and he deleted it immediately. And now he's being charged with a felony. It's absurd. It's a complete empty threat and they've taken it too far."
Another baseless threat, from someone who has neither the intent nor means to carry it out. He still needs to be arrested and charged, because that's how our society works, you can't yell Fire in a movie theater, you can't incite a panic (even if you're exasperated by the pedantic bullshit of others). With that all said, I'm still awaiting Farrakhan to be charged for calling upon 100 men to start killing cops. I won't hold my breath though, because we all know that some classes can get away with saying anything.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:45 PM

Because none of this stuff is really happening. It's just a figment of their imagination ...

A sign for the University of Missouri’s Gaines-Oldham Black Culture Center was vandalized early Thursday morning, apparently the latest tinder cast to the flames as the school continues to grapple with racial threats since the ousting of President Tim Wolfe, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The sign in front of the center was reportedly spray-painted to cover up the word “black,” hours after black student protesters held a march at the building to protest racially charged threats at the university, and a day after a white student at the Missouri University of Science and Technology allegedly issued a death threat against black students at the University of Missouri, shaking the entire campus.

It is believed that the sign was spray-painted around 12:50 a.m., and police are currently reviewing video surveillance from the location.

Isaac Jahns, a freshman journalism student, told the Times that he was walking home from a dining hall with friends when he heard a scream near the center.

“I heard a male voice scream out, ‘You black ... you’re not welcome here!’” Jahns, who is white, told the news site.

Jahns said he then saw a black woman running away, but did not know if she had been the target of the comment.

The Legion of Black Collegians, the University of Missouri’s black student government, tweeted early Thursday morning, urging Mizzou to “stay strong” and declaring, “We’re not afraid. You clearly are.”
University of Mo.’s Black Culture Center Sign Is Vandalized - The Root

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 02:49 PM

And it's not just Mizzou. Of course, none of this should be taken seriously because college campuses being shot up never really happens in real life.

Security was increased on Howard University's campus after an anonymous post threatening to kill students was posted online.

According to NBC 4 Washington, the racist rant was posted on the website 4Chan Wednesday around 7:30 p.m. and claimed, after protests and the resignation of University of Missouri President Tom Wolfe, who had failed to address racial insensitivity at that school, that "Any [n--ger] left at Howard University after 10 tomorrow will be the first to go."

Howard University officials told the news station that they were aware of the threats and that they had increased security on campus and at nearby Metro stations. Officials urged students to use caution when traveling in and around campus and added that no student would be penalized for failing to attend class.

"We are aware of the online threat, and have made appropriate notifications. ... We urge anyone with information on the threat to contact the D.C. police department or the FBI," Howard University said in a statement, viewed by NBC.
Howard University Increases Security After Online Death Threats - The Root

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2015, 02:58 PM

I'm waiting for Rev. Wright , Rev. Sharpton and Van Jones to be investigated for racial hate speech. Hypocrites.
Selective reading again OAW? Double standard much, or perhaps you don't think they are racists spewing hate?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 03:04 PM

Because none of this stuff is really happening. It's just a figment of their imagination ...

University of Mo.’s Black Culture Center Sign Is Vandalized - The Root
That's been the MO of SJWs; make accusations, wait for a response, then point to the response as proof that you were right all along.

"We may have made that other shit up, but look, here's proof of what we were saying!"

Yep, congratulations, the people who started all this have attracted the attention of trolls. Remember everyone, don't cry wolf, don't accuse others of things they haven't done, because when you do you'll likely find that it all comes around to bite you in the ass. It isn't right that people are saying those things now, but it didn't start in a vacuum.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 03:11 PM

And it's not just Mizzou. Of course, none of this should be taken seriously because college campuses being shot up never really happens in real life.

Howard University Increases Security After Online Death Threats - The Root
I hope they enjoy their trolls, they can send a nice fruit basket to Yale and Mizzou for attracting them.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2015, 03:29 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tiuhtpants
That's been the MO of SJWs; make accusations, wait for a response, then point to the response as proof that you were right all along.

"We may have made that other shit up, but look, here's proof of what we were saying!"

Yep, congratulations, the people who started all this have attracted the attention of trolls. Remember everyone, don't cry wolf, don't accuse others of things they haven't done, because when you do you'll likely find that it all comes around to bite you in the ass. It isn't right that people are saying those things now, but it didn't start in a vacuum.
I hope they enjoy their trolls, they can send a nice fruit basket to Yale and Mizzou for attracting them.
Because racist white people don't actually start acting like racists until black people mention it.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh
Selective reading again OAW? Double standard much, or perhaps you don't think they are racists spewing hate?
If any of these individuals were even remotely involved in the situation at hand then this might warrant comment. Since they don't I view it as mere deflection. At best.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 04:51 PM

Another WTF moment brought to you by 40 years of "warm fuzzies" K-12. You reap what you sow.
Amherst Students Call on School to Condemn Free Speech | MRCTV
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 05:06 PM

Because racist white people don't actually start acting like racists until black people mention it.
In this instance, crying wolf attracted the trolls instead.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 05:41 PM

In this instance, crying wolf attracted the trolls instead.
Crying wolf?

You mean the death threats on social media? The guys in pickup trucks yelling "n*gger" to black students and faculty? The cotton balls thrown in front of the Black Cultural Center? The crossing out of the world "Black" on the Black Cultural Center? The racial slurs painted on statues? The ongoing hostility displayed towards black students who dare to venture into Greektown? The constant harassment by campus police who assume you aren't a student?

Oh wait I get it. All of that stuff that's been going on for decades is somehow rendered moot because rumors of the KKK coming onto the campus in the midst of anonymous death threats on social media turned out to be unsubstantiated.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 13, 2015 at 05:59 PM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2015, 05:56 PM

If any of these individuals were even remotely involved in the situation at hand then this might warrant comment. Since they don't I view it as mere deflection. At best.

OAW
Typical. compartmentalisation.

Its a bigger thing than you realize.

The problem is the black 'Culture' not race. My best friends include folks from the west indies, and friends who were black, but high income, so they were also denigrated. The "average to lower IQ blacks" are really the issue as they follow liberal BS, and indoctrination, and have become WORTHLESS in the job market.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2015, 06:14 PM

Crying wolf?
Yes Barb, it started with the lies; poop swastika, KKK sightings, the president trying to run them down with his car, etc.. Then they started demonstrations (over their made-up grievances), said ****-all to everyone else's freedom of expression, began hunger strikes (lol), and then pushed the president out of office because he didn't kiss their asses in the way they wanted. Then Yale ups the ante by showing they're a bunch of brats who delight in verbally abusing the faculty (who were only trying to help them) over stupid shit like Halloween costumes. It's no small wonder they're getting pushback, and even though there's no excuse for racist comments and threats (even those without any substance behind them), it's plain to see where it all began. A whole lot of people are tired of this drama and the trolls are only going to multiply as it continues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules