Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bought a new computer for the office

Bought a new computer for the office
mindwaves
Jun 6, 2018, 10:53 PM

And it is not a MacBook! It is a Huawei Matebook Pro X (The Verge review here), and yes, it is a complete MacBook Pro knockoff, including the space gray name and color.

I bought it overseas for slightly more than the US price including tax at an authorized Huawei store and it supposedly comes with MS office installed and 2 free gift items (wireless mouse and some sort of bag), so I think I did well on it. It arrives on Tuesday of next week.

Three huge benefits of this over a real MacBook is the price (about $1300 USD), better keyboard, and a real USB-A port, so no dongle heaven. I won't be using it for myself but for my office mates who are also more used to using Windows.

On a side note, Macs (and other Apple products, witness the $79 USD mouse before taxes!) are incredibly expensive, especially nowadays when considering the competition. I remember when a Power Mac was $1599 before.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 7, 2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
and it supposedly comes with MS office installed
Office is a subscription model now, no? So maybe you get six months or a year of Office?

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 7, 2018, 10:04 PM

Actually not sure. The computer will arrive next Tuesday.

Oussie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2018, 03:42 AM

For $1200 or $1500 I think I’d still go for a macbook pro and install windows on it. It is bound to be more durable and hold its value better.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2018, 07:47 AM

But it runs Windows, tho.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 8, 2018, 03:52 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:51 AM. )

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 8, 2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
So, if Apple had a Pro MacBook with 16GB RAM and dual core i5, 256 GB RAM priced at $1300, but still no USB-A port (but included USB-C to USB-A adapters in the box), would you have gone with that instead of the Matebook?
I bought the computer for employees in my company, not for myself. The computer will primarily be used for Word and PDF documents. Kind of overkill for the work, but it does future proof the machine. The MateBook has a 14 inch screen in a 13 inch body, so it is good for productivity and portable. It is much cheaper than an equivalent Mac and also had a much better keyboard. I own two Mac laptops with butterfly 2 keyboards and they aren’t good. To boot, also has a USB- A port which I find still tremendously useful.

I’ll still use Macs, but I’m not going to be silly and buy a more expensive machine (Mac) for the office to use for PDF editing.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jun 10, 2018 at 05:21 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules